Page 11 of 11 First ... 7891011
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    Working from the guard and cardio. I have a hard time trying to transition and move my hips as well as I should. And cardio because I am used to playing judo newaza rules, so I blow my wad quickly and then gas out.
    You can work on hip mobility via different solo drills.

On the pace thing, well, just get control of yourself and/or work on your cardio.

Hey, you could do interval training using solo hip-mobility and other solo ne waza drills and kill two birds with one stone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BKR; 10/30/2019 6:39pm at . Reason: Add File
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    I have short, somewhat chunky legs and my closed guard game is pretty weak. We have always had a gym skewed towards larger players so there have never been that many people I could comfortably lock my legs around to develop it. On the flip side it meant I worked on my half, deep half, x, and slx from early on and if I'm feeling lazy I'll abandon a closed guard for half.
    Samesies, but I've never really thought of it that way. I usually find myself putting my feet on the hips to attack triangles or arm drags, and if that doesn't work, I'll end up in half guard or half butterfly as they try to pass and sweeping from there (or just getting passed). I've always considered said triangles, arm drags, and sweeps to be "closed guard attacks" since they occur when my opponent is relatively centered on me... But I also have short stumpy legs which I struggle to keep actually closed around and opponent.

Which then makes me wonder, what actually does qualify as a closed guard attack? Collar chokes, arm bars, and wrist control triangles?

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    You can work on hip mobility via different solo drills.

On the pace thing, well, just get control of yourself and/or work on your cardio.

Hey, you could do interval training using solo hip-mobility and other solo ne waza drills and kill two birds with one stone.
    Thanks for the advice BKR. I appreciate it.
    I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

Style
    BJJ, MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Kong View Post
    Which then makes me wonder, what actually does qualify as a closed guard attack? Collar chokes, arm bars, and wrist control triangles?
    I'd also chuck in Kimuras, head and shoulder chokes and an ezekial choke. Though the first two you are shifting out to the side a bit.
    2018 Male Purple Belt Adult No Gi
    #2 Ranked Competitor - QBJJC

Style
    MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    height and weight ?
    5'-9" 210lbs

I have a 29" inseam and tree trunk thighs. Closing guard on anyone in my weight class is a chore. It's hard to slide into a knee shield, it's hard for me to get a strong rotation in my sit-up sweep. I've been working the over-under sweep and I may have a winner there. Need about a thousand more reps on it to be sure, though.

Kimura traps to sweep has possibilities for me. Most people bail out of my guard when I threaten it, though.
    Last edited by Scrapper; 11/01/2019 2:52pm at .
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Page 11 of 11 First ... 7891011