Critique my kickboxing training

I was training before in Muay Thai for five years. I did a couple of Mcdojo TMA’s for a couple of years before that.

I’ve had 7 years off.

This is me getting back into it over the last 2-3 months, looking to compete in Sanda next years I’ve always wanted to do it but there’s never been a school near me until now.

Last edited by submessenger; 10/21/2019 2:30pm at . Reason: added video tags for convenience of viewing

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    All right, here's my criticism.

Head movement is lacking during sparring, and predictable when it shows up. Hands come down every time you throw a punch. You appear to be posing after you throw those side kicks, other than that they are nice.

Not enough round kick footage to judge.

Would like to see more lateral movement during sparring, your footage makes it look very forward and backward, not a whole lot of cutting angles or pivoting.

You look fit and flexible though, so I'm sure you'll get these things ironed out in training.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Watched your heavy bag training video. You really got to do something about how you hold your hands and your head movement. Unless you were just dog **** tired, that wad pretty bad.

I'm saying these things with love btw, I want you to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    Watched your heavy bag training video. You really got to do something about how you hold your hands and your head movement. Unless you were just dog **** tired, that wad pretty bad.

I'm saying these things with love btw, I want you to succeed.
    Thanks Iíve only just become more aware of being more technical on the bag.

For a long time at my old gym the goal of hitting the bag was as a conditioning goal.

But I am also rusty in terms of, leaning in, not pivoting, using my hips etc.

Trying to make my bag workouts more realistic. Moving etc.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanda_fan View Post
    Thanks I’ve only just become more aware of being more technical on the bag.

For a long time at my old gym the goal of hitting the bag was as a conditioning goal.

But I am also rusty in terms of, leaning in, not pivoting, using my hips etc.

Trying to make my bag workouts more realistic. Moving etc.
    Good man! Work hard and listen to your coaches, you'll get where you want to be in no time.

Style
    MMA
    You've got a great sense of timing and distance with your right hand. I really enjoyed watching you land it straight down the pipe repeatedly.

That said, it seems as if you're very satisfied with yourself after landing it, and don't really think a ton about repercussions after. Finishing every combination with some sort of evasion/defense/reset as a default will protect you against the caliber of opponent that will throw back at you even if you catch them with a good shot.

Also, your head seems to pop up with every engagement and strike that you throw. That could be bad against someone who's keen to trade in the pocket and is comfortable firing back without hesitation. Working on that and pre-programming evasion/defense into the end of each combination via shadowboxing will probably be time well spent.

Still though, I'm jealous of your right hand hahah.