Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling

Virus research center in Russia that houses small pox exploded yesterday.

Virus research center in Russia, one of only two such centers that keeps the smallpox virus on hand, exploded yesterday.

You may also remember that last month, Russia had an explosion at one of the nuclear missile test facilities, and the surrounding areas had spiked radiation levels, and a run on iodine.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    Reports are coming in that the explosion caused by gas was in a section of the building under construction and not in an active lab.

Of course, that’s exactly what they would say to minimize panic. That said, the reports from various agencies have all been consistent.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Reports are coming in that the explosion caused by gas was in a section of the building under construction and not in an active lab.

Of course, that’s exactly what they would say to minimize panic. That said, the reports from various agencies have all been consistent.
    Wikipedia...
    In 1947 the Soviet Union established a smallpox weapons factory in the city of Zagorsk, 75 km to the northeast of Moscow.[128] An outbreak of weaponized smallpox occurred during testing at a facility on an island in the Aral Sea in 1971. General Prof. Peter Burgasov, former Chief Sanitary Physician of the Soviet Army and a senior researcher within the Soviet program of biological weapons, described the incident:

On Vozrozhdeniya Island in the Aral Sea, the strongest recipes of smallpox were tested. Suddenly I was informed that there were mysterious cases of mortalities in Aralsk. A research ship of the Aral fleet came to within 15 km of the island (it was forbidden to come any closer than 40 km). The lab technician of this ship took samples of plankton twice a day from the top deck. The smallpox formulation – 400 gr. of which was exploded on the island – "got her" and she became infected. After returning home to Aralsk, she infected several people including children. All of them died. I suspected the reason for this and called the Chief of General Staff of Ministry of Defense and requested to forbid the stop of the Alma-Ata–Moscow train in Aralsk. As a result, the epidemic around the country was prevented. I called Andropov, who at that time was Chief of KGB, and informed him of the exclusive recipe of smallpox obtained on Vozrazhdenie Island.[129][130]

Others contend that the first patient may have contracted the disease while visiting Uyaly or Komsomolsk-on-Ustyurt, two cities where the boat docked.[131][132]

Responding to international pressures, in 1991 the Soviet government allowed a joint U.S.–British inspection team to tour four of its main weapons facilities at Biopreparat. The inspectors were met with evasion and denials from the Soviet scientists, and were eventually ordered out of the facility.[133] In 1992 Soviet defector Ken Alibek alleged that the Soviet bioweapons program at Zagorsk had produced a large stockpile – as much as twenty tons – of weaponized smallpox (possibly engineered to resist vaccines, Alibek further alleged), along with refrigerated warheads to deliver it. Alibek's stories about the former Soviet program's smallpox activities have never been independently verified.

In 1997, the Russian government announced that all of its remaining smallpox samples would be moved to the Vector Institute in Koltsovo.[133] With the breakup of the Soviet Union and unemployment of many of the weapons program's scientists, U.S. government officials have expressed concern that smallpox and the expertise to weaponize it may have become available to other governments or terrorist groups who might wish to use virus as means of biological warfare.[134] Specific allegations made against Iraq in this respect proved to be false.[135]

Concern has been expressed by some that artificial gene synthesis could be used to recreate the virus from existing digital genomes, for use in biological warfare.[136] Insertion of the synthesized smallpox DNA into existing related pox viruses could theoretically be used to recreate the virus.[136] The first step to mitigating this risk, it has been suggested, should be to destroy the remaining virus stocks so as to enable unequivocal criminalization of any possession of the virus.[137]
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

As Putin says, these things happen. I look to Russia to be the ultimate cause of the zombie apocalypse.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Smallpox is some nasty stuff. I'm pretty sure I got vaccinated, but that would have been wayyy more than 10 years ago.

I wonder if one could get vaccinated even if requested ?

I got vaccinated against Yellow Fever once, man, that made me sick as a dog for about 24 hours...

It may have been the Typhoid vaccine as well, who knows...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl