Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    The closest thing to sword or stick work at my Tai Chi school was Xingyi. When you do Xingyi with weapons it is done almost the exact same as how you use a baton in riot training. That being said, you still don't really want to train that if you are training for one on one weapons fighting. When you fight the way you would with a baton, you have people standing to the left and right of you and you are trained not to break the ranks, ever.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Kendo
    If your goals are to learn actual sword fighting, I wouldn't recommend kendo either.

Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    If your goals are to learn actual sword fighting, I wouldn't recommend kendo either.
    I'd like to ask if you say this because you feel Kendo is more a psychological practice than a practical weapon style. I don't see Kendo as practical simply because of the tools being used for training. Honestly my position on this whole topic is that there are very few practical weapon styles in terms of being able to practice with aliveness today. Knives, sticks (any length), and that's about it. These are things you can 1) train with aliveness and 2) actually carry around without getting locked up.

Anything else and well...this is why we lampooned Phil Elmore's "Street Sword", wasn't it? These are Black Belt Magazine-level absurdities.

Likewise, you're not going to learn Taiji sword dueling with a real jian pretty much anywhere on earth. You are better off learning to fence if you want PRACTICAL skill, but even then...unless you have access to the cairns from Outlander and can go back to 18th century Scotland or France, you're SOL and are stuck with practice foils and maybe some foam LARPing for fun.

I've seen some Taiji foam sword "competitions". They look pretty fun, but practical? noo.

Style
    Kendo
    With kendo it's a mix of the weapons we use, the ruleset we practice under, and the fact that we face no real danger so there is very little training of the psychological aspect of a real sword fight.

FIE style fencing is equally useless if your goal is to learn actual sword fighting, for much the same reasons.

I think HEMA is a lot closer to the mark, but of course as they move towards a more consolidated ruleset they are going to start facing the same number of problems. And likewise, there is no real danger there, although the danger of minor injury is considerably higher.

There is no way to train sword fighting in a truly alive fashion without risking serious injury. As soon as you add blunt weapons, armour and rules you are changing the reality of it considerably.

Having said all that, if you placed a strong kendoka or fencer into a real sword fight against someone who had no training, there is no doubt that they would be at a serious advantage.

Page 2 of 2 First 12