Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling

Amazon is on fire, as is usual this time of year. Amazon fires around 15 yr average.

The Amazon is on fire, as is usual this time of year.

The current Amazon fires are around the 15 year average for this time of year.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...ires-in-brazil

Joe "I should not comment on Anthony Weiner" Biden staff
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    I watched a report on CNN? this morning which claimed that 20% of the earth's oxygen is being consumed in this blaze. The figure sounded too high to be truthy, so I shrugged it off. Still, they had a stat that was something like 15 football fields every minute are being gobbled up. Concerning, for sure. But, also, not sure if/how truthy.

Kinda makes you wonder... when I was in SoFlo, we had controlled burns all the time, because if you wait for nature to get around to it, you get fucked. See also California...

Style
    CQC
    Farmers are deliberately setting theses fires. Bolsonaro is enabling them. And refusing to try to stop the fires. And refusing international aid. Come on you guys are smarter than this.

Joe "I should not comment on Anthony Weiner" Biden staff
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Well, of course, the fires in 8+ countries are the result of a single country's leadership woes.

https://www.space.com/amazon-rainfor...ite-views.html

(edit)
    https://www.businessinsider.com/map-...-amazon-2019-8

Style
    CQC
    There's something telling that there's a group of people here with a certain political viewpoint that will bend over backwards to downplay every ecological disaster that crops up. **** me, Florida could be under water and some of you would be on here trying to explain how it isn't a big deal and climate change isn't something we need to worry about.

Style
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Farmers are deliberately setting theses fires. Bolsonaro is enabling them. And refusing to try to stop the fires. And refusing international aid. Come on you guys are smarter than this.
    Farmers in the Amazon have been doing controlled burns since at least the 90's,

when I was flying over the Amazon and the smoke was so thick it was like cloud cover,

and you could not see the vast rainforest from the plane because of it,

which the pilot pointed out.

Style
    There's something telling that there's a group of people here with a certain political viewpoint that will bend over backwards to downplay every ecological disaster that crops up. **** me, Florida could be under water and some of you would be on here trying to explain how it isn't a big deal and climate change isn't something we need to worry about.
    I am a skeptic, and I have been following current events, in academic research environments for 30 years.

Many of these scares, and the campaigns that surround them are not new to me, and I have seen them happen before.

So, I look carefully at various proofs and data, and historical repeats before accepting claims of "this has never happened before" and "this time it's different" at face value.

PT Barnum is correct more often than claims that the sky is falling.

Florida is underwater routinely, by the way.

Much of the State was wetlands whose landscape, or rather wetscape, was deliberately and artificially changed through man made drainage engineering, and would revert rapidly without ongoing man made attention.

Florida has historically had the lowest high point in the nation,

and much of Florida has been at sea level, or within 500 feet of sea level for the last 100 years.

Florida has frequent heavy rainfall, and tropical storms, and hurricanes.

I got a chance to meet the person who was in charge of the drainage development in Orlando decades ago.

Most of the buildable land in Florida did not happen naturally, but was engineered with man made drainage systems.

We merely "borrow" Florida, but it's ready to be mostly swamp again fairly rapidly if man does not continue the upkeep of our artificial drainage alterations proactively.
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 8/28/2019 5:27am at .

Style
    CQC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    Farmers in the Amazon have been doing controlled burns since at least the 90's,

when I was flying over the Amazon and the smoke was so thick it was like cloud cover,

and you could not see the vast rainforest from the plane because of it,

which the pilot pointed out.
    "Yeah they've been burning that **** down for years now so what's a little more."

What in the ****. That's exactly the problem. We've already torched at cut down 20% of it. We need to fucking stop.

Style
    CQC

This is what y'all look like. It's a shame most of the people with this take will likely be dead of old age before the worst of the consequences set in. At this point I can only hope that they live to suffer the beginning of the worst and die knowing that the damned us all. If he'll is real I'll be salty if they aren't all burning for failing to uphold God's command to be good stewards of the Earth.

Style
    "Yeah they've been burning that **** down for years now so what's a little more."

What in the ****. That's exactly the problem. We've already torched at cut down 20% of it. We need to fucking stop.
    Ghost, are you aware that it is not uncommon for trees to have seeds that do not break down to regerminate a forest except with the exposure of a forest fire?

Are you aware that natural forest fires are often beneficial for the health of a forest, and stimulate germination in many cases?

And that controlled burns have been a tool of foresters to maintain the health of a forest for as long as man has studied the domain of forestry?

That is not to say that the dose of the current fires within the Amazon is correct, or incorrect.

But, when we combine this statement with the fact that the current Amazon fires are within the 15 year average for these fires,

I would think that you would be concerned about deliberate and permanent deforestation of the Amazon rather than Amazon fires, especially the current Amazon fires, in their own right.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last