Combat Sambo - Interested in Travelling Overseas to learn

Hi guys,

I am interested in learning Combat Sambo. I have limited experience in Japanese Jujutsu and unfortunately I have a lot more experience in Karate (which I consider to be a waste of my time, and I no longer do). I prefer Jujutsu over Karate by far.

I am curious, if I travel overseas to learn Combat Sambo, I want to ensure that I make the most of my trip - so I would like to learn the basics now.

Would it be worthwhile learning some Muay Thai or Kickboxing? Which one is most likely to result in my learning the most that has immediate cross over to Combat Sambo? My understanding is that Muay Thai and Kickboxing uses different footwork - but I base that off my own observation. I am assuming that the basic kickboxing drills will be identical to basic Combat Sambo drills.

Also, are there any good websites out there that have a Sambo (any type of Sambo) focus?

Style
    Goju Ryu
    Quote Originally Posted by BJJorSambo? View Post
    Hi guys,

I am interested in learning Combat Sambo. I have limited experience in Japanese Jujutsu and unfortunately I have a lot more experience in Karate (which I consider to be a waste of my time, and I no longer do). I prefer Jujutsu over Karate by far.

I am curious, if I travel overseas to learn Combat Sambo, I want to ensure that I make the most of my trip - so I would like to learn the basics now.

Would it be worthwhile learning some Muay Thai or Kickboxing? Which one is most likely to result in my learning the most that has immediate cross over to Combat Sambo? My understanding is that Muay Thai and Kickboxing uses different footwork - but I base that off my own observation. I am assuming that the basic kickboxing drills will be identical to basic Combat Sambo drills.

Also, are there any good websites out there that have a Sambo (any type of Sambo) focus?
    If you want to learn Sambo, you best learn Sambo.

At the very best advice I can if you are limited in supply is look for seminars in your area or find a school that does seminars like here:
    https://patriotinstitute.org/academy...at-sambo-camp/

then if you want extra look at the panther productions DVDs on the series, theres an ebay profile who sells them often: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/martialartsmaria

otherwise buy them here
    https://www.budovideos.com/products/...ith-tony-lopez

but dont think DVD's substitute for a teacher. I mean if you had an extensive background in Judo and a striking art you might pick things up easier but get a coach.

Where are you looking to train abroad? That would be a start.

Also, welcome to bullshido, are you going to introduce yourself?

King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hi guys,

If I was willing to travel to a cold and barren land filled with nuclear waste and a culture I just can't understand to learn Sambo from a master of sport and BJJ black belt where would I go?

Koulikov Grappling Academy - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Sambo

355 Warwick Turnpike, Hewitt, NJ 07421
    (845) 421-8809 https://g.page/sambofusion?share
    The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hi guys,

Gjj, MMA and Combat Sambo are all kissing cousins.

Gjj and combat Sambo use a gi but focus on free fighting.
    The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If I was willing to travel to a cold and barren land filled with nuclear waste and a culture I just can't understand to learn Sambo from a master of sport and BJJ black belt where would I go?

Koulikov Grappling Academy - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Sambo

355 Warwick Turnpike, Hewitt, NJ 07421
    (845) 421-8809 https://g.page/sambofusion?share
    Vlad is a great instructor and a great guy.

I highly recommend.