Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Beatles View Post
    Freedom of speech is a two way street. Nobody has to amplify what you say, right or wrong.

If you don't like Twitter's policy, go somewhere else.

Facebook, same thing.

Youtube, same thing.

There's such a thing as fiduciary responsibility. A media platform can be sued for what it broadcasts, regardless of where the signal originated.

**** the FTC anyway. When was that ever a good idea?
    I'm still trying to make up my mind about this whole issue. The problem I have is that social media is becoming more and more monopolized. As much as all documentaries are suspect, watch the documentary Hacked. So not only are they monopolized they are readily selling your data to various entities that may or may not have your best interests at heart.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    I feel like if people were really working hard to improve themselves, solve their problems, and improve their community, they wouldn't have time to post political memes on Facebook. What kind of person is so invested in shitposting that they want the government to intervene when a private entity censures their low effort political post which, chances are, is factually untrue?
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Joe "I should not comment on Anthony Weiner" Biden staff
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I feel like if people were really working hard to improve themselves, solve their problems, and improve their community, they wouldn't have time to post political memes on Facebook. What kind of person is so invested in shitposting that they want the government to intervene when a private entity censures their low effort political post which, chances are, is factually untrue?
    People want to share their view, but are not good public speakers or even able to articulate their position. American education system, amirite?

It's not the memesharing that should be criticized. It's the underlying message(s). The person that's your friend on Facebook that just shared something from a Russian troll site is not worthy of your derision. They are worthy of your respect and understanding and helpful uncondescending education.

Yet another case of put your money where your mouth is.

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    People want to share their view, but are not good public speakers or even able to articulate their position. American education system, amirite?

It's not the memesharing that should be criticized. It's the underlying message(s). The person that's your friend on Facebook that just shared something from a Russian troll site is not worthy of your derision. They are worthy of your respect and understanding and helpful uncondescending education.

Yet another case of put your money where your mouth is.
    An interesting thought. It could work depending on your relationship.

For a while I did try to argue with people on Facebook. With strangers, the moment you start to say something kind of detailed that's not a party line talking pint, they stop responding. They don't know what to say. It's like first they want to get mad because they think that you're going to say the other party's talking point. But then when you don't they either stay mad, or just stop posting any responses. I don't know if they simply ignore you or if they got confused by hearing something that isn't a talking point.

Years ago I did post some very passionate stuff about gun control when the memes were flying around. I explained about how 5.56 NATO is kind of a small-to-medium cartridge and not "high powered" compared to .30-06 or 7.62x54 R which were in use during World War II. I also went into great detail about how the idea of the 5.56 NATO cartridge tumbling and causing massive trauma, while not entirely untrue, was also actively promoted by the US military during Vietnam to improve confidence in an apparently flawed weapon system and I cited the Vietnam War memoir "And A Hard Rain Fell" as evidence. This was in response to the "high powered" verbage that has been circulating of late.

People who already liked me were polite but I'm not sure I reached them. I think people just get into their comfortable mental ruts.

My feeling is that when it comes to political positions, everyone is wrong. Maybe most people don't want to think that everyone is wrong.
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Style
    Autoimmune disease
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    I'm still trying to make up my mind about this whole issue. The problem I have is that social media is becoming more and more monopolized. As much as all documentaries are suspect, watch the documentary Hacked. So not only are they monopolized they are readily selling your data to various entities that may or may not have your best interests at heart.
    Sure, data mining is a beast. Personally, I think alternate social media that protects privacy is going to start catching on. It will take time. I think we're sort of in the AOL period of social media.
    “When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.” Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 1971, Raoul Duke

Style
    Autoimmune disease
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    They are worthy of your respect and understanding and helpful uncondescending education.
    Watch it, you gun-totting thug. Your decency is showing.
    “When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.” Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 1971, Raoul Duke

Style
    Autoimmune disease
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    watch the documentary Hacked.
    I'm reserving that flick for an afternoon when I can get good and paranoid on some Pineapple Express first and then spend the rest of the evening downloading ad blocking and tracker blocking apps in the resulting meltdown.

Maybe get a VPN that connects to a second VPN and pay for both of them with different crypto currency wallets and register everything through a Serbian burner phone.

Page 3 of 3 First 123