Page 2 of 2 First 12

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    I was just being ornery Rayce. I think most BJJ practitioners of any school are deficient in self defense and real fight scenarios.

That was a mean thing to say about poor Von Flu lol.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    To clarify, I mean training ONLY in BJJ is less than ideal to learn to properly fight at all ranges. That said, any BJJ school with a focus on self defense (which kids classes should all be) is miles ahead of the local McDojo.

King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    To clarify, I mean training ONLY in BJJ is less than ideal to learn to properly fight at all ranges. That said, any BJJ school with a focus on self defense (which kids classes should all be) is miles ahead of the local McDojo.
    I get into this discussion a lot. I actually find it to be the most suitable for the streets/club/dipshit management too. Nothing else but grappling allows me to control someone without risking their death to an unknown degree. If someone my size-ish that has some pop in their strikes uncorks their right hand on someone they may not get back up because the hit their head funny or they blow the ACL when they fold up like a cheap suit. That's a hell of a legal conundrum i try to avoid.
    If it's somebody that doesn't really have the Dimock in their strikes it has little to no affect on the assailant and then just exasperate the situation further. Striking has to be hard.
    With grappling i can gently hold you or kill you. It's got a hell of a potentiometer/volume switch built in.

In self-defense you don't really have to worry about all the phases of potential combat. If they're outside clinching range you can probably start to maneuver around and just leave the area,walk away. Dueling with someone is not self defense.

If the try to duel with you? Leave. If they catch you? Out grapple them.

However basic Muay Thai and/or boxing is a nice thing to have for everyone to have. I think the low round kick is extremely valuable for modern self defense as well. Its pretty easy to walk away from an aggressor if their leg is shut off for a bit.

I can do a bit of kickpunchery. Working security it was never used. I breaks teeth,bones and brains. Thats generally not needed. Sambo,Gjj, and Judo are better suited imo.
    The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Page 2 of 2 First 12