Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    13

    German Ju-Jutsu vs Brazilia JJ?

    Hi,
    I've recently found information about the German Ju-Jutsu (a type of jiu-jitsu practised in Germany, surprise, surprise) and I was wondering how does it differ from, let's call it, more 'international' jiu-jitsu- like Gracie or (general) Brazilian JJ. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    6,489
    Quote Originally Posted by simon_g View Post
    Hi,
    I've recently found information about the German Ju-Jutsu (a type of jiu-jitsu practised in Germany, surprise, surprise) and I was wondering how does it differ from, let's call it, more 'international' jiu-jitsu- like Gracie or (general) Brazilian JJ. Any thoughts?
    Well first it's practiced by people over the average height of a grasshopper. Also it's more efficient, but only when used to subjugate.

    In seriousness it's probably just rebranded BJJ. Calling it German ju-jutsu is just marketing.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    338
    Style
    Glock, 1911, Rem870, SKS
    Maybe a link would help?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    512
    Style
    Judo and HEMA

  5. #5
    Ulsteryank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    531
    Style
    MMA
    I was just in Germany last month, and there were many (Brazilian) Jiu Jitsu gyms available. I never heard of German JJ.....maybe there's a reason for that?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,242
    Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    That was legit funny to be honest.

  7. #7
    halfcut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    953
    Style
    SAMBO
    3
    German Ju-Jutsu dates back to the 1960s and was the basis for JJIF's Fighting System (Also sometimes called Sport Jujitsu) rule set which is sort of an MMA lite format. It's legit in that sense, and while JJIF is a global organization I'm doubtful that many people know the sport they're competing in is a form of German Ju-Jutsu

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_ju-jutsu
    http://www.jjif.info/index.php?id=34

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The Street
    Posts
    533
    Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    From what I know, styles of german jj, british jj etc are mostly hybrid marttial arts combining techniques of judo, karate, kickboxing, bjj and whatever. Also it seems that 99% of their link to actual japanese jujutsu is through judo.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The Street
    Posts
    533
    Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Losco View Post
    From what I know, styles of german jj, british jj etc are mostly hybrid marttial arts combining techniques of judo, karate, kickboxing, bjj and whatever. Also it seems that 99% of their link to actual japanese jujutsu is through judo.
    This being said, these styles are often very decent IF you are looking for "all-around" style with emophasis in self defence. But as half cut mentioned the particular styles often hold competitions too which usually are something like "mma light". A finnish JJ style holds competitions which are pretty much "knockdown MMA" - that is no gloves and no punches to the head but besides that pretty much everything goes, including i.e kicks and knees to the head.

  10. #10
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    6,170
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Losco View Post
    This being said, these styles are often very decent IF you are looking for "all-around" style with emophasis in self defence. But as half cut mentioned the particular styles often hold competitions too which usually are something like "mma light". A finnish JJ style holds competitions which are pretty much "knockdown MMA" - that is no gloves and no punches to the head but besides that pretty much everything goes, including i.e kicks and knees to the head.
    Sounds like fun.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in