Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Judo
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    Howdy all. Been a while since I posted in Bullshido.

Any ways, one of my Welsh cousins, who now lives in Leeds, has asked my advice about starting martial arts to get in shape and to learn some practical self defense. He asked about Aikido, so I am naturally going to try to steer him towards Jiu Jitsu or Judo, since he listed self defense as one of his goals. He is 42 and out of shape, so I am leaning towards Jiu Jitsu since from my experience, Jiu Jitsu is a lot easier on the body, especially for us older guys (my cousin is 10 years younger than me BTW).
    The BJA is the Olympic governing body for Judo in the UK.

They have a pretty handy club finder tool:
    https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/club-finder/

Just type in anywhere in the UK and a radius you're willing to travel and it will give you all the clubs in that catchment area.

I know nothing about the Judo scene in Leeds, but a search with a 5 mile radius brings up 3 clubs, the Uni Club, who are unlikely to let you train if you're not a student. A club in Rothwell which is a small town outside the city so inaccessible if you don't have a car.

And Pudsey Judo club, who set off a vague bell in the back of my mind of maybe being decent, this seems to be borne out by the training videos on their Facebook page, not Olympic standard, but certainly above average for UK recreational Judo. They're also outside the city, so you'll need a car. Public transport outside of London is nearly non existent in the UK, irregular bus if you're lucky etc... So I've no idea how difficult it is to get to. But, doing a quick look the club is run by a 6th dan who is on the BJA board and who fought for his grades up to 5th dan, so probably isn't terrible, his name vaguely rings a bell as well.

So I would say Pudsey is your cousin's best bet:
    https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/club/pudsey-judo-club/

Their website link appears to be broken and most Judo clubs in the UK operate on a shoe string budget, so I would try the Facebook page. Almost all the small local Judo clubs have now ditched paying for websites when they can have a Facebook page for free and it's so much easier:
    https://www.facebook.com/pudseyjudoclub/

After a taster session, or two, he'll need to purchase a 'licence', really just a membership, but marketing, with the BJA, if he's not arsed about grading this can be had for just 15 for a year. If he wants to grade, then 40 for the year. Then there will be club mat fees on top, but they'll probably be quite low no more than a fiver per session, maybe cheaper if you pay monthly. They almost certainly won't have multi month contract packages like BJJ, that just doesn't happen in UK Judo.

For his first couple of sessions they'll probably have a gi jacket that they can lend him provided they know he's going to be coming as a complete newbie in advance.

If he eventually wants to get a gi, Blitz and Tatami are both decent low cost options, although I think Tatami are better quality, albeit marginally more expensive:
    https://www.blitzsport.com/judo/judo...judo-suit-350g
    https://www.tatamifightwear.com/collections/judo

He'll need to work out how tall he is in those weird European centimetres though, which is a pain.

If it's anything like your typical small UK Judo club 90% of the people practising will be under dan grade and in the same age and physical fitness bracket as your cousin.

Unfortunately I know literally nothing about BJJ in Leeds, so you're going to have to rely on Uncle Google for that one.

Style
    TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo
    Thanks, all, for the welcome back.

Hungry Joe, yes, I've gotten older since the last ATX Spar-BQ we met up at. You still doing Judo? Our team goes up to OK once a year in early May for a big tournament and I've often wondered if it is one you compete in. I haven't gone because it usually is the weekend before Final Exam Week and I am swamped with grading student papers.

BKR, LOL, no, I did not kill Christopher Weinandt with my Ouchi Gari. I did sub him with a Bow and Arrow Choke, though. One of the pics of us fighting actually made it into Jiu Jitsu Times when they ran an article on the BJJ Classic Pan Ams submission only tournament a few years back. They probably ran that pic because Christopher was a bit of an anonymous Internet sensation at the time. Someone had made a meme of him when he was a White Belt stepping onto the mats at a competition with some verbage about the best time to start Jiu Jitsu being now or never being too old to start Jiu Jitsu. I'm sure I could Google it if I wasn't so lazy.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Style
    TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    The BJA is the Olympic governing body for Judo in the UK.

They have a pretty handy club finder tool:
    https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/club-finder/

Just type in anywhere in the UK and a radius you're willing to travel and it will give you all the clubs in that catchment area.

I know nothing about the Judo scene in Leeds, but a search with a 5 mile radius brings up 3 clubs, the Uni Club, who are unlikely to let you train if you're not a student. A club in Rothwell which is a small town outside the city so inaccessible if you don't have a car.

And Pudsey Judo club, who set off a vague bell in the back of my mind of maybe being decent, this seems to be borne out by the training videos on their Facebook page, not Olympic standard, but certainly above average for UK recreational Judo. They're also outside the city, so you'll need a car. Public transport outside of London is nearly non existent in the UK, irregular bus if you're lucky etc... So I've no idea how difficult it is to get to. But, doing a quick look the club is run by a 6th dan who is on the BJA board and who fought for his grades up to 5th dan, so probably isn't terrible, his name vaguely rings a bell as well.

So I would say Pudsey is your cousin's best bet:
    https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/club/pudsey-judo-club/

Their website link appears to be broken and most Judo clubs in the UK operate on a shoe string budget, so I would try the Facebook page. Almost all the small local Judo clubs have now ditched paying for websites when they can have a Facebook page for free and it's so much easier:
    https://www.facebook.com/pudseyjudoclub/

After a taster session, or two, he'll need to purchase a 'licence', really just a membership, but marketing, with the BJA, if he's not arsed about grading this can be had for just 15 for a year. If he wants to grade, then 40 for the year. Then there will be club mat fees on top, but they'll probably be quite low no more than a fiver per session, maybe cheaper if you pay monthly. They almost certainly won't have multi month contract packages like BJJ, that just doesn't happen in UK Judo.

For his first couple of sessions they'll probably have a gi jacket that they can lend him provided they know he's going to be coming as a complete newbie in advance.

If he eventually wants to get a gi, Blitz and Tatami are both decent low cost options, although I think Tatami are better quality, albeit marginally more expensive:
    https://www.blitzsport.com/judo/judo...judo-suit-350g
    https://www.tatamifightwear.com/collections/judo

He'll need to work out how tall he is in those weird European centimetres though, which is a pain.

If it's anything like your typical small UK Judo club 90% of the people practising will be under dan grade and in the same age and physical fitness bracket as your cousin.

Unfortunately I know literally nothing about BJJ in Leeds, so you're going to have to rely on Uncle Google for that one.
    Thanks for the very useful info. Not sure if my cousin has a car or not, but I will be sure to pass along this info to him. As I stated earlier, I think he'd probably have an easier time starting Jiu Jitsu than Judo, but either is better than Aikido in terms of the work out one gets and for self defense, both of which were in his list of priorities.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Style
    TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo
    P.S. Since my cousin is in Leeds, getting him in fighting shape will be key to my ultimate plan for the liberation of Sub-Roman Elmet, as Leeds was the capital of this Sub-Roman British kingdom. As a Dyn Cymreig deep behind the lines in enemy occupied territory, he can organize the partisan resistance to support my armies invading from Northern Wales. I am still in the process of recruiting, but hopefully will have a good sized army ready by the time of Brexit if it ever goes through. I figure the chaos in the months following Brexit will be the perfect time to launch my attack. The biggest problem I have is that raising armies is expensive and I'm broke as ****. It is hard to find people who will fight just for the promise of loot and free beer.

https://www.facebook.com/Historian.Coman/
    Last edited by TEA; 6/23/2019 11:04am at .
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Style
    Judo
    Thanks for the very useful info. Not sure if my cousin has a car or not, but I will be sure to pass along this info to him. As I stated earlier, I think he'd probably have an easier time starting Jiu Jitsu than Judo, but either is better than Aikido in terms of the work out one gets and for self defense, both of which were in his list of priorities.
    No worries, always happy to guide another soul to the purifying goodness of Kano's light.

I strongly suspect he does have a car, outside of London public transport is basically a non-option for any functioning adult who is either employed/has any sort of family.

Agreed that the priority is to avoid him ending up joining the ranks of the Aikijokers.

P.S. Since my cousin is in Leeds, getting him in fighting shape will be key to my ultimate plan for the liberation of Sub-Roman Elmet, as Leeds was the capital of this Sub-Roman British kingdom. As a Dyn Cymreig deep behind the lines in enemy occupied territory, he can organize the partisan resistance to support my armies invading from Northern Wales. I am still in the process of recruiting, but hopefully will have a good sized army ready by the time of Brexit if it ever goes through. I figure the chaos in the months following Brexit will be the perfect time to launch my attack. The biggest problem I have is that raising armies is expensive and I'm broke as ****. It is hard to find people who will fight just for the promise of loot and free beer.

https://www.facebook.com/Historian.Coman/
    Have you factored in getting over Offa's dyke and past the Mercians, which you'll have to do before even thinking about reaching Leeds? Not something that traditionally has been something the Welsh have had much luck at, given it's stood for over 1000 years now.

Style
    TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    No worries, always happy to guide another soul to the purifying goodness of Kano's light.

I strongly suspect he does have a car, outside of London public transport is basically a non-option for any functioning adult who is either employed/has any sort of family.

Agreed that the priority is to avoid him ending up joining the ranks of the Aikijokers.

Have you factored in getting over Offa's dyke and past the Mercians, which you'll have to do before even thinking about reaching Leeds? Not something that traditionally has been something the Welsh have had much luck at, given it's stood for over 1000 years now.
    My initial target for the invasion from N Wales will be to capture Chester and use it as a land and sea base for the capture of Liverpool. Once I have Liverpool, I can move upriver and overland to capture Manchester and by sea to capture Lancaster. Once I have Manchester and Lancaster, I can advance on two fronts against Leeds.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Style
    TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo
    Oh, and to secure my flanks, I will need to take and fortify Shrewsbury. That would give me control of both the upper Severn as well as being near enough to the upper Dee to attack the flanks of any armies heading to Chester from the South.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Style
    decrepit mouth boxing
    Thanks, all, for the welcome back.

Hungry Joe, yes, I've gotten older since the last ATX Spar-BQ we met up at. You still doing Judo? Our team goes up to OK once a year in early May for a big tournament and I've often wondered if it is one you compete in. I haven't gone because it usually is the weekend before Final Exam Week and I am swamped with grading student papers.

BKR, LOL, no, I did not kill Christopher Weinandt with my Ouchi Gari. I did sub him with a Bow and Arrow Choke, though. One of the pics of us fighting actually made it into Jiu Jitsu Times when they ran an article on the BJJ Classic Pan Ams submission only tournament a few years back. They probably ran that pic because Christopher was a bit of an anonymous Internet sensation at the time. Someone had made a meme of him when he was a White Belt stepping onto the mats at a competition with some verbage about the best time to start Jiu Jitsu being now or never being too old to start Jiu Jitsu. I'm sure I could Google it if I wasn't so lazy.
    I've stepped off and not re-entered since around 2010-11. Recovery time and the recognition that old injuries were putting a toll on the body said, hey, perhaps it's time to slow down. Sent a large box down Austin way with an assortment of gis and belts.

Did make it down there not long after. Met Submessenger and saw JNP for the first time in a long while.

so

Ailidoka / judoka with ancestry in mother England willing and able to make the trip. After crossing off next years's entry of the bucket list. Must go skydiving. Be sixty with knees to match.

Of course, video. Otherwise just talking ****.

Everybody drink.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    I've stepped off and not re-entered since around 2010-11. Recovery time and the recognition that old injuries were putting a toll on the body said, hey, perhaps it's time to slow down. Sent a large box down Austin way with an assortment of gis and belts.

Did make it down there not long after. Met Submessenger and saw JNP for the first time in a long while.

so

Ailidoka / judoka with ancestry in mother England willing and able to make the trip. After crossing off next years's entry of the bucket list. Must go skydiving. Be sixty with knees to match.

Of course, video. Otherwise just talking ****.

Everybody drink.
    Ok, drinking...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 2 of 2 First 12