Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Advice for wrestler?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this thread, but here goes.
    I am going into my senior year of high school, and my school may be about to start a wrestling team. I told the guy who would be one of the coaches that I would join it if they started one. I have some experience in other martial arts, but not very much. I have a lot of raw strength (425 squat, 235 bench, 275 powerclean, 440 deadlift) from football and powerlifting.
    I weigh 213 or so pounds right now, and I'm six foot tall.
    What advice would y'all have for me?

Sorry again if this is the wrong forum.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Show up for practice. Listen to your coach.

Style
    Pro-Wrestling/PitFighting
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Show up for practice. Listen to your coach.
    **** that. Here's some real advice:

HGH. All day, every day.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Style
    Pro-Wrestling/PitFighting
    Some really real advice:

Find an off-season wrestling club and start training now.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabaton_fan388 View Post
    I am going into my senior year of high school, and my school may be about to start a wrestling team. I told the guy who would be one of the coaches that I would join it if they started one. I have some experience in other martial arts, but not very much. I have a lot of raw strength (425 squat, 235 bench, 275 powerclean, 440 deadlift) from football and powerlifting.

Best thing you can do it learn how to do a penetration step, then drill those, sprawls, footwork drills and bridges everyday till you can't do any more. You can get some footwork drills off youtube. Seriously. If your coach can give you direct instruction on some techniques go for it. Otherwise, drill those things and leave your muscle memory fresh for the coach to get where he wants it. Don't go learn a bunch of stuff that you are going to have to unlearn.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu

Well your light for 220lbs and up and heavy for 195 lbs. And under , soooo step 1: pick a weight class.

Step 2: try your best.

Step 3: try to get better everyday. Hard work beats talent in the long run.

I appreciate y'all's advice. I really hope my school starts a wrestling team, I've always wanted to test what I've learned. Wish me luck if you don't mind. Or don't, I don't believe in luck so who cares

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Best thing you can do it learn how to do a penetration step, then drill those, sprawls, footwork drills and bridges everyday till you can't do any more. You can get some footwork drills off youtube. Seriously. If your coach can give you direct instruction on some techniques go for it. Otherwise, drill those things and leave your muscle memory fresh for the coach to get where he wants it. Don't go learn a bunch of stuff that you are going to have to unlearn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Well your light for 220lbs and up and heavy for 195 lbs. And under , soooo step 1: pick a weight class.

Step 2: try your best.

Step 3: try to get better everyday. Hard work beats talent in the long run.
    What these two said.

How do I pick a weight class? Is that even something worth thinking about right now? I'm supposed to be gaining weight for football and powerlifting, so I don't know. Appreciate all everyone's help again

King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    How do I pick a weight class? Is that even something worth thinking about right now? I'm supposed to be gaining weight for football and powerlifting, so I don't know. Appreciate all everyone's help again
    You just picked it bro. Keep working on getting swole. Higher weight classes are generally softer if you don't get over powered.

weight classes are important. If you want to lose weight its something you need to think about in advance. Cutting 20 lbs in a short time is very unhealthy and its something I don't think young men and women should do.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 6/10/2019 5:32pm at .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last