Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA

For y'all Bruce Lee nuthuggers

Including yours truly...

https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Lee-Lif.../dp/1501187627

I will start reading it this weekend.

Polly was the author of AMERICAN SHAOLIN and TAPPED OUT. I really enjoyed the former and he is an entertaining writer. TAPPED OUT was about his foray in MMA but it was less interesting because his personal involvement was not as in-depth.

Style
    MMA
    I'm interested.

Style
    Bjj
    Bruce was either an absolute freak or a fraud. The reason i say this is because his martial arts history (time spent in individual arts) is small. He’s known for starting in wing chun but didnt actually do it for long.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    Bruce was either an absolute freak or a fraud. The reason i say this is because his martial arts history (time spent in individual arts) is small. Hes known for starting in wing chun but didnt actually do it for long.
    Bruce Lee was a well known fanatical cross trainer with every serious martial artist with whom he came into contact, all of his short adult life.
    He was a small guy, but by all accounts, he was fanatical about fitness, and martial arts training, and cross training.

Style
    decrepit mouth boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    Bruce Lee was a well known fanatical cross trainer with every serious martial artist with whom he came into contact, all of his short adult life.
    He was a small guy, but by all accounts, he was fanatical about fitness, and martial arts training, and cross training.

+ could dance.

No reports that I've seen give him good or bad marks on driving abilities. Probably sucked. Cause Asian that moved to California.

Hung out with Chuck. Chuck doesn't hang with losers.

King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Striking arts are more attribute-based. There are plenty of world-class boxers and kick boxers that turned Pro after a very short time of training.

Mark Hunt,Bernard Hopkins,Deontay Wilder and a slew of others. Being faster and stronger than the average bear goes a long way.
    Power mainly comes from bone size and where your tendons connect according to a few guys. Training can't make you hit hard. It can only make you hit harder.

Its completely plausible he had natural power. He would have been strangled in no time flat by a submission fighter.

Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Striking arts are more attribute-based. There are plenty of world-class boxers and kick boxers that turned Pro after a very short time of training.

Mark Hunt,Bernard Hopkins,Deontay Wilder and a slew of others. Being faster and stronger than the average bear goes a long way.
    Power mainly comes from bone size and where your tendons connect according to a few guys. Training can't make you hit hard. It can only make you hit harder.

Its completely plausible he had natural power. He would have been strangled in no time flat by a submission fighter.
    According to Gene LeBell, Bruce Lee was well trained in grappling, including, trained by Gene LeBell in grappling, throws, and submissions.

Style
    decrepit mouth boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post

Bruce dropped the WC method of punching early on. He kept some **** no doubt but look at his punch progression compared to WC. His punches started at the feet, where true power starts. Despite the posturing for the camera, he was loose until time of impact. Man had some true power given his small size.

Grappling? Gene Lebell.

Okay. No fair. God would fare no better.

Nut hugger? No. He was though a serious martial artist, extremely fast and one of the early advents for cross training.

edit

Gonzo in before me. Again.

Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    I don't know how he'd stack up against a modern MMA champ but I certainly wouldn't want to have engaged him in fisticuffs.
    Dude had amazing conditioning, was quick, nimble as a cat and nasty accurate. A nightmare to the untrained or slovenly.
    I have a feeling the stories of him mopping up local street tuffs in his youth might have a small ring of truth to them.

Style
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Bruce dropped the WC method of punching early on. He kept some **** no doubt but look at his punch progression compared to WC. His punches started at the feet, where true power starts. Despite the posturing for the camera, he was loose until time of impact. Man had some true power given his small size.

Grappling? Gene Lebell.

Okay. No fair. God would fare no better.

Nut hugger? No. He was though a serious martial artist, extremely fast and one of the early advents for cross training.

edit

Gonzo in before me. Again.
    To your point, Bruce Lee was well known and well regarded as a kicker.

Which if we considered Bruce Lee a "wing chun" man, would be extremely odd.

He learned all of his kicking cross training with every good kicker he could find.

His cross training in grappling probably followed a similar path, with Gene LeBell and others.

Bruce Lee was not only one of the original "mixed martial artists" before the term was really a thing, he helped pave the way for the mixed martial arts philosophy,

and he was well known for fanatically training any useful martial arts technique, approach, or system that he came across, especially if it challenged his current abilities and repertoire.

He died young, and he lived before the UFC.
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 5/27/2019 7:30pm at .

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last