Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
    Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP

So why don't DC Republicans stand up to Donald Trump?

So if DC Republicans and DC Democrats united against Donald Trump they would basically be able to constrain a lot of his power by overriding his veto and so forth. At the same time, Donald Trump has been against a lot Republican party positions that were supposedly pretty important in their economic view of the world.

I was amazed to read how as a Republican, Donald Trump:

1.) Pushes for price controls on pharmaceuticals ( https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...-costs-1318900 )
    2.) Pushes for tariffs on agricultural products while promising to use the USG to bail out US farmers (https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...licans-1319024 )
    3.) Banned bump stocks ( https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1QF10L )
    4.) Basically did a bunch of stimulus spending; I just can't wrap my mind around how the same Republican elected officials who kept insisting that Obama's stimulus was "porkulus" and the apparent end of Western civilization are now totally cool with Donald Trump doing the same thing but bigger.

The thing is, I go on Facebook, and what do I see? There's this guy who posts anti-Democrat memes all day and then is lionizing Donald Trump. How does that remotely make sense when in some ways Donald Trump is acting like a Democrat and indeed used to be a Democrat?

Then, the Republican party apparently just caved on price controls for pharmaceuticals and they are very quiet on the subject of tariffs. I feel like if Obama had banned bump stocks they'd be acting differently than they are now with Donald Trump having banned them. It's kind of like they're not exactly being Republicans. They sort of quietly gave up on stuff that they would have claimed was extremely important under Obama.

So, if this stuff is important, you'd think they could easily block Trump. The Democratic party is eager to try and appeal to their base and it seems pretty clear that one way they can do this is to block Trump. Therefore, if the Republicans wanted to block him on something like ag tariffs, or on exploding stimulus spending, you'd think it would be relatively doable. But they don't. In fact they don't even dare to criticize him. But you know they would have criticized Obama for doing the same.

Why are they afraid to criticize him? Do they think their base won't vote for them if they do? If that is the case, why is the base apparently OK with Democratic party positions? In that case why even be a Republican voter? You would think you'd get more from your politicians if you didn't guarantee them your vote, if you made it known that you would vote for any party.

It's like everyone is completely inconsistent. The issues don't matter at all. It's all some weird branding effort, and what's even weirder is that voters apparently buy into it without noticing all this drift and pandering and inconsistency.

I can't make sense of it. What do people want? What are they thinking? Why is their sense of identity on the one hand so strident, but on the other hand so completely malleable? Did Donald Trump somehow do this to people? How did he hijack or somehow defeat the control that had traditionally been exerted by the political parties over their bases?
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    OK, Seriously. Can we keep the Trump posts in one thread? I'm all for discourse, but we already talk about a lot of these issues in the PTOST thread.

Please, convince me that I shouldn't merge these.

Style
    decrepit mouth boxing
    Vote for thread merge. It's hard enough keeping up already.

Short answer to OP. Both sides of the aisle have one overriding priority. Reelection baby! It's an ugly fact.

now

Go look further into the history of big Pharma and the under the table dealings they've had between themselves. Plus lobbying. Plus contributions to the politicians.

Style
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    OK, Seriously. Can we keep the Trump posts in one thread? I'm all for discourse, but we already talk about a lot of these issues in the PTOST thread.

Please, convince me that I shouldn't merge these.
    I felt it wasn't a shitpost. It's not just LOL TRUMP. It's more like my trying to know how voters' minds work.

Style
    Glock, 1911, Rem870, SKS
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I felt it wasn't a shitpost. It's not just LOL TRUMP. It's more like my trying to know how voters' minds work.
    Bullshit. If you wanted to know that, you wouldn't be assuming answers, you'd be asking real questions and listening for answers.

You want to feel superior to others, so you ask a blizzard of leading questions.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Republicans and Democrats are in general pretty far apart in policy, foreign and domestic.

Trump, although not really a conservative, chose to side with the Republicans (mostly conservative, certainly more so than average Democrat), so he is their guy, whether they like it or not.

It's a marriage of convenience, like a lot of politics.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    delete double post

**** CHINA !
    Last edited by BKR; 5/15/2019 12:07pm at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Shitpost is just the title. We do have fairly constructive debates, in there. Plus, this is your third "serious," Trump thread, of late, and I'm being courteous to only include threads with Trump in the title. They are all going to devolve into the same subject matter that we already have in the PTOST, if they haven't already.

If you think the name of the PTOST thread should be changed, go for Phrost's approval, and one of us will make it happen.

I'll let this one ride, but this isn't NeverTrump.net - it's Bullshido.net. Please, stop trying to repurpose the site for your own political gains. Even if that's not your intent, it's what happens naturally by continually making new (and redundant) Trump threads.

Style
    Quote Originally Posted by AprilRains View Post
    Bullshit. If you wanted to know that, you wouldn't be assuming answers, you'd be asking real questions and listening for answers.

You want to feel superior to others, so you ask a blizzard of leading questions.
    You might be a mind reader, but I am not, so you'll have to actually type out what you mean by "real questions".

Style
    xingyi
    You might be a mind reader, but I am not, so you'll have to actually type out what you mean by "real questions".
    stop it.

You know exactly what she means. It is a stupid rhetorical venting type of question you just asked. You know your answer, you just want an argument.

It's the same as asking why did Dems support drone bombing when, it has been shown it killed numerous innocents?

There are a hundred different reasons including racism and tactical intelligence. So, quit trying to play innocent when your bias is laced all through your post.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last