Page 5 of 5 First 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Mine is a springer/pit mix (we did the DNA thing). He absolutely hates, and has and will attack, anything that cleans floors. Broom, vacuum, mop - all equally evil, to him. RC cars set him off. The pool vacuum freaks him out. Weirdest quirk in any dog that I've ever had, and my previous was known for eating my dirty socks (just mine) and jumping all fours on the counter to claim yummy treats, like T-day turkey.
    I had a golden who used to eat trees. My current dog has horrible arthritis, but at least he barks really loud.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I had a golden who used to eat trees. My current dog has horrible arthritis, but at least he barks really loud.
    I feel like this comment is so close to a great pun or a hilarious twist.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    My second dog was a black lab that we adopted off the side of a highway in Rhode Island (what kid can resist a free puppies sign?). She chewed everything, which is not exactly a quirk. Once, she chewed through the tires of my dad's truck. That makes for a funny story, now, but it was pretty devastating, at the time.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    They're likely mass stamped out in China if I had to guess. It's possible you got part of a bad batch or it could just be a **** product. What did you do that broke it?? I used the one I have to chop a 4x4 post in half which is my standard test before I use a sword for HEMA. To be honest Albion is my favorite sword supplier, but damn are they expensive.
    Yes. Albions are nice. Peter Johnson is... an interesting fellow. And they are expensive.
    But I was at KC Spring Deed of Arms a couple of weeks ago and cutting with the Albions they had out was FUN.

Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    Yes. Albions are nice. Peter Johnson is... an interesting fellow. And they are expensive.
    But I was at KC Spring Deed of Arms a couple of weeks ago and cutting with the Albions they had out was FUN.
    Yeah albions are solid swords. They do take a lot of maintenance though as being straight high carbon steel they rust like crazy if you don't constantly clean and coat them. I could probably chop a tree down with mine. I do think the balance could have been a bit different to fit my preference, but it's not bad by any means.

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    They're likely mass stamped out in China if I had to guess. It's possible you got part of a bad batch or it could just be a **** product. What did you do that broke it?? I used the one I have to chop a 4x4 post in half which is my standard test before I use a sword for HEMA. To be honest Albion is my favorite sword supplier, but damn are they expensive.
    We were using anatomical targets for test cutting.

I believe that a lot of budget swords are actually made in India.

My pet theory or belief to explain Cold Steel is that they know how to make knives, but swords are another story. Knives can just be hard beefy steel because they are short. The whole point of swords is that they need a certain amount of flex in order to not be brittle, like the Italian Longsword was. That's why before certain historical advances in metallurgy, swords tended to be short, and not as long as a longsword. I guess that Cold Steel, being an early maker of consumer swords in the US, didn't fully understand this and thought that a quality sword would basically just be a giant beefy knife, not realizing that a giant beefy knife would be brittle and prone to failure.

Albion is expensive, but considering how much money you can potentially spend on a rubbish sharp, at this point I'd almost consider just saving up for one instead of getting a few budget swords.

A brittle budget sword is kind of like a handgun that has a brittle slide that might crack and blow a piece off into your face when you fire it. Do you really want a cutter that might break in half unpredictably whenever you hit a hard or anatomical target? Do you really want a sword that might snap in the bind each time you impact hard with another piece of steel? That's the definition of an inferior weapon.
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    We were using anatomical targets for test cutting.

I believe that a lot of budget swords are actually made in India.

My pet theory or belief to explain Cold Steel is that they know how to make knives, but swords are another story. Knives can just be hard beefy steel because they are short. The whole point of swords is that they need a certain amount of flex in order to not be brittle, like the Italian Longsword was. That's why before certain historical advances in metallurgy, swords tended to be short, and not as long as a longsword. I guess that Cold Steel, being an early maker of consumer swords in the US, didn't fully understand this and thought that a quality sword would basically just be a giant beefy knife, not realizing that a giant beefy knife would be brittle and prone to failure.

Albion is expensive, but considering how much money you can potentially spend on a rubbish sharp, at this point I'd almost consider just saving up for one instead of getting a few budget swords.

A brittle budget sword is kind of like a handgun that has a brittle slide that might crack and blow a piece off into your face when you fire it. Do you really want a cutter that might break in half unpredictably whenever you hit a hard or anatomical target? Do you really want a sword that might snap in the bind each time you impact hard with another piece of steel? That's the definition of an inferior weapon.
    I can only judge cold steel based on only one sword and one axe that I have. The axe is nice to look at, but only after I re-tooled the handle and put in a wedge. The actual axe head is ok for some chopping, but It will chip hitting metal as I found out. The sword seems to be ok, it's just a single hander though. It flexes ok, but I haven't tried it against metal, I've only tested it on a 4x4 post. I agree with saving for an albion for actual full contact. Personally I've had mixed results on swords. I have a stainless wall hanger that has chopped furniture and even split a machete. I've also had expensive swords that have bent and even snapped. It's no fun to dodge flying sword pieces. I consider it a gamble overall. I do envy you though for getting to slice up some targets with the albions.

Page 5 of 5 First 12345