1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    16
    Style
    Turkish Oil Wrestling

    Novice resources on freestyle and submission wrestling

    Does anybody know of any great resources on freestyle and submission wrestling for the novice?

    Where I live wrestling has a very small presence and classes are quite limited, when I go to the class available to me I seem to get bogged down by more advanced concepts that the much more experienced guys are working on being the only rank novice, I can only access a single hour of wrestling classes a week.

    Whereas when I started striking or BJJ supplementary resources of quality seemed very easy to obtain. Any suggestions for good books or DVDs? I train at an MMA gym and when we can't access stuff very easily its pretty darn fun to just bring stuff to the table and try and work it out. I feel like a good fundamentals DVD would really help me not be so lost when I'm working with the more experienced guys.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    6,069
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    2
    https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...Styles-Level-1

    Go to that website and check out the core curriculum. Then youtube anything you don't know. There are tons of videos by really good people. Then spend all your free time drilling until it's muscle memory.

    Be advised, the average highschool wrestler, here has done most of these drills hours and hours and hours:

    https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...ills-and-Games
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    16
    Style
    Turkish Oil Wrestling
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...Styles-Level-1

    Go to that website and check out the core curriculum. Then youtube anything you don't know. There are tons of videos by really good people. Then spend all your free time drilling until it's muscle memory.

    Be advised, the average highschool wrestler, here has done most of these drills hours and hours and hours:

    https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...ills-and-Games

    Perfect resources for me! Thank you!

  4. #4
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    25,370
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...Styles-Level-1

    Go to that website and check out the core curriculum. Then youtube anything you don't know. There are tons of videos by really good people. Then spend all your free time drilling until it's muscle memory.

    Be advised, the average highschool wrestler, here has done most of these drills hours and hours and hours:

    https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...ills-and-Games
    I was thinking along same line: Gotta learn to wrestle before you start doing submission wrestling.

    That whole "position before submission" thing.

    I needed that reference for my 14 year old too!
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    6,056
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by soyboy View Post
    Does anybody know of any great resources on freestyle and submission wrestling for the novice?

    Where I live wrestling has a very small presence and classes are quite limited, when I go to the class available to me I seem to get bogged down by more advanced concepts that the much more experienced guys are working on being the only rank novice, I can only access a single hour of wrestling classes a week.

    Whereas when I started striking or BJJ supplementary resources of quality seemed very easy to obtain. Any suggestions for good books or DVDs? I train at an MMA gym and when we can't access stuff very easily its pretty darn fun to just bring stuff to the table and try and work it out. I feel like a good fundamentals DVD would really help me not be so lost when I'm working with the more experienced guys.

    Cheers
    Diesel mentioned a top notch resource that is wholesome for wrestlers of all levels, including beginners.

    I would also suggest Cary Kolat's youtube channel for those with a prior wrestling background.

    Championship Videos also carries an excellent product line of DVDs at affordable price points by NCAA wrestling champions, Olympic wrestling champions, and coaches of same.

  6. #6
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,486
    Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    Diesel mentioned a top notch resource that is wholesome for wrestlers of all levels, including beginners.

    I would also suggest Cary Kolat's youtube channel for those with a prior wrestling background.

    Championship Videos also carries an excellent product line of DVDs at affordable price points by NCAA wrestling champions, Olympic wrestling champions, and coaches of same.
    I came here to recommend Cary Kolat as well.

    Too bad Karelin never had a Youtube channel.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in