Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeg View Post
    What is the training like when it involves multiple attacker scenarios?

In your opinion, would cross training in another art which teaches weapon usage work out or is Judo weapons training already enough? What weapon did you use that you found works best in a real life scenario?

How would a black belt Judo practitioner handle a multiple attacker situation?
    I think a better question would be, where would you be when you have to deal with multiple attackers? There are some specific scenarios that are possible. But some you wouldn't be dealing with. For example, a prison riot, public riot, bouncer at a bar, or combat zone are a couple that I can think of where you would have to deal with the situation and not run. If you don't work in one of those occupations, you can limit down the possibilities of a multiple attacker situation to pretty slim. In which case, you can spend your time training for stuff that is a higher possibility and easier to train for.

Training for multiple attackers involves mass confusion, pain, and trying to learn to think while dealing with it. Easier to train for multiple attackers in the situation you will be dealing with. For example, you don't want to train for it in a combat zone if you are going to be in a prison. And the same in reverse.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Anyone who is going to fight or need to defend themselves needs to know how to grapple. However, that doesn't mean you need to grapple when fighting or defending yourself. Going to the ground in a crown is a sketchy situation. If you are going to cuff them, you are going to have to go to the ground. It's way easier that way. However, if you are buy yourself and surrounded, don't do it. Maintain your safety. Know how to grapple so you can get away. Don't go to the ground willingly until you have backup or a situation where you are not about to get kicked in the head.

Cuffs can wait for a safe time to do it. You going home is more important than getting that person cuffed up with then. Leave the ego at the door.

Just my opinion.
    I think the main point would be less like “Olympic” judo where they go to the ground (even ending in unfavorable positions) for a throw, and more like traditional Kodokan Judo or even Sumo. Where you don’t want to hit the ground EVER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    I think the main point would be less like “Olympic” judo where they go to the ground (even ending in unfavorable positions) for a throw, and more like traditional Kodokan Judo or even Sumo. Where you don’t want to hit the ground EVER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Olympic Judo" is just a subset. A skilled person can decide if go to ground or not. It

I think the primary problem with Judo as self defense, in general, is that self defense is not really part of the larger judo curriculum.

When I started Judo (1980), my sensei specifically taught self defense applications. He was for sure more "old school" Judo than what is most common today. Typically, you wanted to stay on your feet, after throwing.

We also competed regularly under normal rules, which were mostly less restrictive than todays standard IJF rules.

After that though, it was all pretty much sport competition oriented. Because that is what is fun.

Learning basic Judo does not really involve a lot of falling to the ground with/on top of your training partner, though.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I think a better question would be, where would you be when you have to deal with multiple attackers? There are some specific scenarios that are possible. But some you wouldn't be dealing with. For example, a prison riot, public riot, bouncer at a bar, or combat zone are a couple that I can think of where you would have to deal with the situation and not run. If you don't work in one of those occupations, you can limit down the possibilities of a multiple attacker situation to pretty slim. In which case, you can spend your time training for stuff that is a higher possibility and easier to train for.

Training for multiple attackers involves mass confusion, pain, and trying to learn to think while dealing with it. Easier to train for multiple attackers in the situation you will be dealing with. For example, you don't want to train for it in a combat zone if you are going to be in a prison. And the same in reverse.
    Yeah, boils down to having strong fundamental techniques, fitness, and training, then going to specific situational training, including stress management.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 2 of 2 First 12