Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ

"Back" Escapes for LEO - Thoughts on This Method

I dithered whether to put this in AdGrap or the LEO section. Move if appropriate...

So, what do you guys think of this instruction ?
    I found the "demo" to be pretty weak.

I would train with the assumption that a guy who knows enough to take your back and choke you is going to have some sort of training. Plus, the "full speed" demo, is not, IMO, full speed.

I did not see anything to do with hooks in, either, which complicates matters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYPCE8HqPt8

Here are some mount escape methods from the "Team Hardy" toob channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uae5fa0w_7A

"Full speed"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpO29g4peSA
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    The mount escape is almost the exact one that I use all the time... sort of.

The back escape is... ok. I would not want to rely on it as it does not address the additional control someone can have over you when on your back. But, if you are an ok wrestler and they are just trying to reach around your neck, ok, I can see it.

Overall, it looks like some ok stuff. Miles ahead of some of the instruction I have seen for LEO's out there. Not as good as getting real training in grappling.

Style
    Jits
    The back escape... it's possible.

The mount escape: basic trap and roll, it works. However I think they should focus on getting SLX from failed trap and roll attempts instead of going into triangle territory or getting stuck in closed guard and trying to open it with the silly dim mak demonstrated in the clip.

The mount escape options are fundamentally sound for sure.

The back escape, as mentioned, will work in that specific instance, but if the attacker has a little basic grappling experience it’s probably not the most ideal. I do like that the control he establishes keeps the hand that could steal his weapon tied-up though.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    I hope they practice at true "full speed" rather than the compliant "full speed" that they showed on the video.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    Not bad, way better than the stuff I was trained way back in the day. Seems like catching that leg, and just exiting underneath would be way easier than reversing the roll and the risk of triangle/entanglement. But not horrible.

I kind of wonder why they teach to totally exit/disengage and draw the weapon, when in many cases a back take would be quite easy. This is the perfect place to simply apply cuffs and not risk a further escalation/fight/shooting. This was always what I'd try to do. Get them belly down, weight applied, catch wrists, cuff them up. Done.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by RynoGreene View Post
    Not bad, way better than the stuff I was trained way back in the day. Seems like catching that leg, and just exiting underneath would be way easier than reversing the roll and the risk of triangle/entanglement. But not horrible.

I kind of wonder why they teach to totally exit/disengage and draw the weapon, when in many cases a back take would be quite easy. This is the perfect place to simply apply cuffs and not risk a further escalation/fight/shooting. This was always what I'd try to do. Get them belly down, weight applied, catch wrists, cuff them up. Done.
    I suspect because that would require further training and practice, even further out of the norm of procedure.

You have a TASER, a baton/ASP, a handgun, and a radio to call for backup.

If a cop were already a skilled grappler, and practiced, yeah, that might be reasonable.