Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    Chinese Boxing

The Captain Marvel *hit post thread. Let's talk about the movie. *Spoiler thread*

Opening up to openly talk about the movie.

Go....

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Umbrella Academy #6 vs Flargin.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Captain Marvel?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    What did you want me to say? Mar Vell?

Style
    decrepit mouth boxing
    Here for the spoilers. Will see the movie when it's released for rental or Netflix. Unless women in my life say otherwise.

What happened?

admission-

I have a habit of reading the last paragraph of a book before starting. I know. Not right but started way back in childhood. Mental illness takes many forms. I also like prime numbers.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Here for the spoilers. Will see the movie when it's released for rental or Netflix. Unless women in my life say otherwise.

What happened?

admission-

I have a habit of reading the last paragraph of a book before starting. I know. Not right but started way back in childhood. Mental illness takes many forms. I also like prime numbers.
    You need to see this before Endgame.

Style
    Kendo
    Just saw it, liked it a lot. I’d call it a 2nd tier Marvel movie. Brie Larson was excellent.

Style
    xingyi
    It was decent. I put it in the middle with Age of Ultron, Ironman 2, GoTG2 and a few others. I liked aspect, but it had a shoehorn feel to me. It actually made me have a better appreciation for Wonder Woman and aspects of Black Panther.

Style
    Autoimmune disease
    Feminism angle:

Constant reminders that she was told that she couldn't do something because she was a girl from both dialogue and flashback scenes.

1. "They call it the cockpit for a reason"
    2. Failure at rope climb obstacle in training.
    3. Gets yelled at for driving fast and wrecking while racing go carts.
    4. Gets knocked off of plate by pitcher while playing in little league
    5. Sequence where they literally combine all of these things in a flashback montage when she gets back up in fight to show the man that she won't be mansplained to or made to feel inferior again.
    6. Blasts Kree villain when he challenged her to a fight where he had an advantage saying "I've got nothing to prove to you"
    7. Referred to as "the woman" by Ronan the Accuser.
    8. South Park style V-Chip installed in her neck to keep her under control.
    9. Audience reminded that she wasn't allowed to fly combat missions because she was female by Rambeaux.
    10. Plays No Doubt during kick off of first fight scene at prolonged battle sequence end of movie. Plays just about the entire song during that first round. No subtlety here.
    11. Discovers that she can fly after she stops letting herself get bossed around.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff but these were the ones that really came off the top rope to reinforce that this is a feminist movie. I still have no complaints. I liked the movie.

Great for little girls that like comic books. She's strong without being a sex object or someone's love interest.

There is no love story angle in this movie because she's a modern woman that doesn't need a man to be significant. That's significant because most movies with a single main character in an action movie have a love story to bring in a larger audience. Studios usually make it a requirement of the movie so guys will bring their girlfriends to see it.
    Last edited by Dung Beatles; 3/11/2019 7:51am at .

Style
    Autoimmune disease
    Now, onto the thing that annoyed me.

Nick Fury's eye.

I know this is going to cause problems but there's a reason why this Nick Fury's eye is so badly scratched from the previous movies.

Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury is based on the Ultimate Marvel Universe.

It was a part of Marvel's short lived series of comic books for older audiences with mature themes like sex, murder, homosexuality and more extreme violence.

Fury in this movie lost his eye because it was scratched by a cat.

This bothered me. Ultimate Marvel Fury lost his eye during a climactic escape attempt by Wolverine where both of them experience significant character growth. Wolverine decides that he's tired of killing and Fury realizes that he got everything all wrong about the mutants.

That's why there are three scratches poking out from the patch.

Changing it to losing it to a cat scratch in a movie about a "good guy" role model makes the character less cool and less appealing. It's a stupid nerdy thing for a guy my age to care about but there it is. It bothered me all the way home, it bothered me thinking about it later.

It reminded me of one of the huge problems that the Marvel Studio is struggling with and that is:

Disney and Marvel Studios do not seem to respect their own source material.

They turn everything into a joke to lower dramatic tension and try to make everything into a "feel good" movie. They looked at the sepia tone version of DC's latest movies and seem to have over compensated by going in the exact opposite direction.

Now, I know that up until now Marvel has been using their mainstream Avenger's characters because their once flagship X-Men properties have been under control of Fox. Before Marvel became a cinema powerhouse their A-material were X-titles, Spider-Man and then everything else.

At one point there were more X-titles in monthly circulation than there were Avengers and individual Avenger comics combined. At the height of Spider-Man's popularity there were 5 series titles in circulation per month. The Avengers properties were some of their least popular titles such that Captain America and Thor weren't even in circulation. Iron-Man's popularity took such a bad hit post Secret Wars that he erased his own memories in order to reboot the series and get out from under the fallout of his actions. Similarly, they rebooted Spider-Man as well around this time but that's a whole other rant over how shitty the "One More Day" story arc retcon.

I look forward to the new unified Marvel movies but if they continue with the "every scene must have jokes" theme then they're going to have a hard time mining their properties for their best moments.

Can you picture anything from Garth Ennis being used in this environment of levity? He's not exactly mainstream but he is one of the best comic book creators since Alan Moore in my opinion.

These funny mass-market appeal "good times" movies are great but I think Marvel is going to have to grow up eventually.

Whatever happens when the X-men titles finally start rolling out under Marvel, isn't it great that Fox won't be allowed to **** those franchises up any further? At one point, I was almost convinced that they were screwing up the franchise on purpose.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last