Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Style
    Kendo
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    It was decent. I put it in the middle with Age of Ultron, Ironman 2, GoTG2 and a few others. I liked aspect, but it had a shoehorn feel to me. It actually made me have a better appreciation for Wonder Woman and aspects of Black Panther.
    I liked it better than those 3 but not up to the standard of BP, Guardians 1, Ironman 1 or Avengers 1. I liked the strong feminist angle. My main quibbles were the fairly slow start, and the usual power variability for writers convenience. She can blow **** up with her hands but we need an extended fistfight where none of the bad guys die? I get that she was just learning her powers but still.

Of course now that she is super-de-duper powered she will be boring like superman. All the fights will be world-wrecking CGI-fests. I like my superheros on a more modest scale. Jessica Jones is still my Marvel gold standard across all media.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Beatles View Post
    Feminism angle:

Constant reminders that she was told that she couldn't do something because she was a girl from both dialogue and flashback scenes.

1. "They call it the cockpit for a reason"
    2. Failure at rope climb obstacle in training.
    3. Gets yelled at for driving fast and wrecking while racing go carts.
    4. Gets knocked off of plate by pitcher while playing in little league
    5. Sequence where they literally combine all of these things in a flashback montage when she gets back up in fight to show the man that she won't be mansplained to or made to feel inferior again.
    6. Blasts Kree villain when he challenged her to a fight where he had an advantage saying "I've got nothing to prove to you"
    7. Referred to as "the woman" by Ronan the Accuser.
    8. South Park style V-Chip installed in her neck to keep her under control.
    9. Audience reminded that she wasn't allowed to fly combat missions because she was female by Rambeaux.
    10. Plays No Doubt during kick off of first fight scene at prolonged battle sequence end of movie. Plays just about the entire song during that first round. No subtlety here.
    11. Discovers that she can fly after she stops letting herself get bossed around.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff but these were the ones that really came off the top rope to reinforce that this is a feminist movie. I still have no complaints. I liked the movie.

Great for little girls that like comic books. She's strong without being a sex object or someone's love interest.

There is no love story angle in this movie because she's a modern woman that doesn't need a man to be significant. That's significant because most movies with a single main character in an action movie have a love story to bring in a larger audience. Studios usually make it a requirement of the movie so guys will bring their girlfriends to see it.
    Dude you've got some issues if that's what you got from all that. Remember this is a hero who was originally called 'Ms. Marvel". Also the term mansplained was never used. Are you an incel?

Style
    Kendo
    Look at it this way: if you replaced all the bits where she got knocked down and got back up again with a male character would you think there waa some hidden agenda? Ot would it just be a nice shorthand way of showing that this character always had grit, determination and some recklessness?

Blasting Jude Law into a cliff and telling him she had nothing to prove, that bit was the feminist part.

King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I liked it better than those 3 but not up to the standard of BP, Guardians 1, Ironman 1 or Avengers 1. I liked the strong feminist angle. My main quibbles were the fairly slow start, and the usual power variability for writers convenience. She can blow **** up with her hands but we need an extended fistfight where none of the bad guys die? I get that she was just learning her powers but still.

Of course now that she is super-de-duper powered she will be boring like superman. All the fights will be world-wrecking CGI-fests. I like my superheros on a more modest scale. Jessica Jones is still my Marvel gold standard across all media.
    Jessica Jones has ridiculously inconsistent powers. I hated the fighting because of this.

Style
    Autoimmune disease
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Dude you've got some issues if that's what you got from all that. Remember this is a hero who was originally called 'Ms. Marvel". Also the term mansplained was never used. Are you an incel?
    I'm an incel for understanding the story as it was meant to be interpreted. Oh boy. Take a writing class or something. It was obvious. Also, I'm not the one that was butthurt because a Brie Larson got on a soapbox about movies including messages for girls.

I was never upset by any of this but it was a little distracting when the message was repeated so many times. Its not my fault if you have a junior high reading level.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Beatles View Post
    I'm an incel for understanding the story as it was meant to be interpreted. Oh boy. Take a writing class or something. It was obvious. Also, I'm not the one that was butthurt because a Brie Larson got on a soapbox about movies including messages for girls.

I was never upset by any of this but it was a little distracting when the message was repeated so many times. Its not my fault if you have a junior high reading level.
    Listen dumbass, I never called you an incel I asked if you were an incel. I'm not so insecure with my manhood that I took actual historical facts as a feminist agenda.

1. Women weren't allowed to fly in Military Combat.
    2. I was in the military, the joke "it's called a cockpit for a reason" was an actual thing.
    3. I've met parents that treat their little girls that way.
    4. Boys get thrown at in Little League too.
    5. Men and women fall off those ropes.

Seriously? I've got nothing to prove to you is feminist rhetoric?

Grow a pair.

Style
    Kendo
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Jessica Jones has ridiculously inconsistent powers. I hated the fighting because of this.
    That story isn't really about her powers, so I didn't care. Inconsistent power is the one consistent thing about comic book movies and TV. Black Widow can go toe to toe with powered characters for no reason I can understand in one scene, and then struggle against normal toughs in another when it suits the writer. Buffy casually takes down hordes of vampires in some scenes but gets into extended fights whenever the particular vampire is a developed character. Powered characters destroy buildings fighting each other but hit normal humans without killing them. etc etc. You learn to roll with it but every once in a while I can't help getting annoyed with it.

Style
    Kendo
    I've got nothing to prove to you is feminist rhetoric?
    It's not meant as feminist rhetoric, it's meant as a feminist cheering point. Why should she compare herself to him, or live up to some arbitrary standard he sets, or fall for this ridiculously obvious ploy not to get punched into a nearby cliff? It's a little bit like Hulk wacking the **** out of Loki after he makes a condescending remark, only not nearly as funny as that was.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    It's not meant as feminist rhetoric, it's meant as a feminist cheering point. Why should she compare herself to him, or live up to some arbitrary standard he sets, or fall for this ridiculously obvious ploy not to get punched into a nearby cliff? It's a little bit like Hulk wacking the **** out of Loki after he makes a condescending remark, only not nearly as funny as that was.
    Guys, I am so anti feminist that my daughter actually wrote an essay using my talking points to her liberal English teacher. You guys are insecure as **** if thatís what you got from all that.

Style
    Kendo
    You guys are insecure as **** if thatís what you got from all that.
    No, just smarter than you.

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last