Page 3 of 3 First 123

Style
    Autoimmune disease
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    He was in the UK. They can't rendition someone from the UK. They can do it from some podunk airport in Scandanavia though.
    They could extradite on charges from the UK. The feds are actively trying to extradite Assange right now.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4672063/j...s-extradition/

You don't need the CIA to snatch someone up, you can just use interpol.

Style
    CQC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Beatles View Post
    They could extradite on charges from the UK. The feds are actively trying to extradite Assange right now.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4672063/j...s-extradition/

You don't need the CIA to snatch someone up, you can just use interpol.
    Normal extradition is the plan B. Ideally he would never have a day in court if the CIA had it's way.

Style
    Autoimmune disease
    Normal extradition is the plan B. Ideally he would never have a day in court if the CIA had it's way.
    Do you mean they'd catch, question and release or kill him after some bloody torture session? The former is unlikely but maybe.

If you mean the latter, then I don't think that's true at all. I'm a bit of a Cold War buff and we have been out of the catch and kill game for a pretty long time. It was outlawed following Watergate and confirmed by the POTUS during the Carter administration if I recall correctly. Books that are published today about counter intelligence expressly condemn that kind of thing when other countries do it.

Snatching someone up off the street and disappearing them forever with no court proceedings is expressly illegal for the CIA to do according to existing US laws. If they go into US custody, they must have their day in court which is why Al Qaeda guys snatched out of caves in Afghanistan that get transferred to Guantanamo Bay actually wind up getting released eventually.

A lot of other intelligence services resort to that kind of thing but it's not a part of US doctrine anymore.

Style
    CQC
    Do you mean they'd catch, question and release or kill him after some bloody torture session? The former is unlikely but maybe.

If you mean the latter, then I don't think that's true at all. I'm a bit of a Cold War buff and we have been out of the catch and kill game for a pretty long time. It was outlawed following Watergate and confirmed by the POTUS during the Carter administration if I recall correctly. Books that are published today about counter intelligence expressly condemn that kind of thing when other countries do it.

Snatching someone up off the street and disappearing them forever with no court proceedings is expressly illegal for the CIA to do according to existing US laws. If they go into US custody, they must have their day in court which is why Al Qaeda guys snatched out of caves in Afghanistan that get transferred to Guantanamo Bay actually wind up getting released eventually.

A lot of other intelligence services resort to that kind of thing but it's not a part of US doctrine anymore.
    If they grab him and hold him overseas U.S courts have no jurisdiction. Which is how those rendition flights worked.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...covert-support

Style
    Autoimmune disease
    If they grab him and hold him overseas U.S courts have no jurisdiction. Which is how those rendition flights worked.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...covert-support
    I know about rendition of terrorists to places like Guantanamo Bay, but again I haven't seen evidence that the US is doing that with someone involved in spying. If they did, I don't think they'd do something like that with a high profile character like Assange.

Style
    CQC
    I know about rendition of terrorists to places like Guantanamo Bay, but again I haven't seen evidence that the US is doing that with someone involved in spying. If they did, I don't think they'd do something like that with a high profile character like Assange.
    America has a surprisingly vague definition of what a terrorist is. This is by design. And Assange wasn't particularly high profile until he ran into the embassy.

Style
    Autoimmune disease
    And Assange wasn't particularly high profile until he ran into the embassy.
    Dude, that's not true. Manning happened in 2010, Assange hid out in 2013.

Style
    CQC
    Dude, that's not true. Manning happened in 2010, Assange hid out in 2013.
    Assange was at the fringes. The focus was on Manning.

Style
    Autoimmune disease
    Assange was at the fringes. The focus was on Manning.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=juli...3A2010&tbm=nws

Manning might have been the focus but Assange was directly discussed all over the place. Time magazine did a piece on him. Sean Hannity and the guy from the 700 Club were calling for his blood on cable if I recall correctly.

Super ironic given the present situation.

Edit: the Telegraph suggested that he was "the most dangerous man in the world".

Page 3 of 3 First 123