Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
  1. #51
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    23,055
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriegschwein View Post
    Not around here.

    I actually looked into Judo for the kids and only found 5 BJJ schools within 100 miles.





    I got a few funny stories about getting torn down on Schlitz in Pohang South Korea. Maybe I'll tell them someday.

    They do involve locals, MREs, Gunny, Taxis and hookers.
    When I lived in NOLA (1987-2001), there wasn't a lot of Judo in north Louisiana (maybe 2 clubs at most active, and none that I knew of north of I-10 until you go to Shreveport).

    Little Rock had a couple, were going pretty strong at one point.

    BJJ is going to take over, although the "cheap" part won't in general apply.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    3,951
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    When I lived in NOLA (1987-2001), there wasn't a lot of Judo in north Louisiana (maybe 2 clubs at most active, and none that I knew of north of I-10 until you go to Shreveport).

    Little Rock had a couple, were going pretty strong at one point.

    BJJ is going to take over, although the "cheap" part won't in general apply.
    Everything cycles.

  3. #53
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    23,055
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Everything cycles.
    Yeah, everything does, but I'm not particularly optimistic for an upswing for Judo in the US at least. Judo in the US has been declining for a very long time, and with good reason. The BJJ commercial model is showing to be a much more viable than the Judo not-for-profit model, among other things.

    Bunch of egotistical idiots were in charge for way too long (some of them still are).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    3,951
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Yeah, everything does, but I'm not particularly optimistic for an upswing for Judo in the US at least. Judo in the US has been declining for a very long time, and with good reason. The BJJ commercial model is showing to be a much more viable than the Judo not-for-profit model, among other things.

    Bunch of egotistical idiots were in charge for way too long (some of them still are).
    It's crazy that the USJA and USJF are not pushing harder to plant high school clubs and university clubs at every high school and university that has a wrestling program (and therefore already has mats),

    and also has a local Judo old fart willing to volunteer their time for an very complementary off season activity for the existing wrestling participant base.

  5. #55

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    24,944
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriegschwein View Post
    Not around here.

    I actually looked into Judo for the kids and only found 5 BJJ schools within 100 miles.





    I got a few funny stories about getting torn down on Schlitz in Pohang South Korea. Maybe I'll tell them someday.

    They do involve locals, MREs, Gunny, Taxis and hookers.
    I know one of those BJJ schools has a Judo instructor. He used to post here quite often.


    *edit. Never mind. Same state different city.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    178
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    It's really not. There's only like 10 places left in Australia who sell it. As a joke.
    I don't think I've ever even tried it. I think the closest I've been to it was at some old pub on the Southside years ago where I went to see a friends band play. Had an Old Fosters sign hanging on the wall but to be honest I didn't even find out if they sold the stuff.

    Place was a bit of a shithole, IIRC I just amused myself with some pool and Bundy Rum.

  7. #57
    cualltaigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,960
    Style
    BJJ, MMA
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by brend0_ View Post
    I don't think I've ever even tried it. I think the closest I've been to it was at some old pub on the Southside years ago where I went to see a friends band play. Had an Old Fosters sign hanging on the wall but to be honest I didn't even find out if they sold the stuff.

    Place was a bit of a shithole, IIRC I just amused myself with some pool and Bundy Rum.
    I had been given a sip of it back in the 80's as a kid. The only time I've actually drank it as an adult was back in 2004 when I was in Europe on a work secondment. Someone bought me a pint of it as a taste of home....
    2018 Male Purple Belt Adult No Gi
    #2 Ranked Competitor - QBJJC

  8. #58
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    23,055
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    It's crazy that the USJA and USJF are not pushing harder to plant high school clubs and university clubs at every high school and university that has a wrestling program (and therefore already has mats),

    and also has a local Judo old fart willing to volunteer their time for an very complementary off season activity for the existing wrestling participant base.
    First place, JF nor JA, do not have money or human resources to do any of that. Judo coaches are primarily volunteers who have to work for a living. Not paid high school or college wrestling coaches.

    Second place, most wrestlers that I have interacted with have very little interest in doing Judo. Highly competitive clubs/schools are not going to want their athletes distracted by taking up something marginally related to what they do.

    I've wrestled here locally (not lately). The high school coach is highly competent, already teaches a range of judo-type throws, for example. One his guys last night at the dual meet I attended, threw his opponent with a nice Kosoto Gake -like throw, both times would have been wazari or ippon in terms of Judo scoring. I didn't get to see even half of his squad wrestle, because the other team was too small to field all weight classes. In the past, his wrestlers were doing everything from Osoto Gari to Tai Otoshi, with some Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi and Ouchi Gari thrown in for good measure.

    In any case, sorry for the negativity, that's just what I've seen and experienced.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    3,951
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    First place, JF nor JA, do not have money or human resources to do any of that. Judo coaches are primarily volunteers who have to work for a living. Not paid high school or college wrestling coaches.

    Second place, most wrestlers that I have interacted with have very little interest in doing Judo. Highly competitive clubs/schools are not going to want their athletes distracted by taking up something marginally related to what they do.

    I've wrestled here locally (not lately). The high school coach is highly competent, already teaches a range of judo-type throws, for example. One his guys last night at the dual meet I attended, threw his opponent with a nice Kosoto Gake -like throw, both times would have been wazari or ippon in terms of Judo scoring. I didn't get to see even half of his squad wrestle, because the other team was too small to field all weight classes. In the past, his wrestlers were doing everything from Osoto Gari to Tai Otoshi, with some Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi and Ouchi Gari thrown in for good measure.

    In any case, sorry for the negativity, that's just what I've seen and experienced.
    I suspect that part of the reason you have some pessimism is because you have lived through the American judo organization wars
    Which would be a fair reason to be pessimistic.

  10. #60
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    23,055
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    I suspect that part of the reason you have some pessimism is because you have lived through the American judo organization wars
    Which would be a fair reason to be pessimistic.
    I got to see it, was in the middle of some of the later evolutions.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in