Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... Last

Style
    MMA, Grappling

Looking for Bully advice on lifting and my general workout

So a lot has happened, and I'm only able to work on general fitness instead of training, probably for another year or so.

I'm looking for advice on lifts to add, or other tips from the more lifty-runny folks here, if ya'll are so inclined.

Here is a general sketch of my 3x to 5x per week workout, what else should I do or change?

30 minutes on those incline elliptical things. Picture something halfway between an elliptical and a stair climber. Goal so far has been to keep my heart rate around 160bpm. Keep in mind I can't run due to the impact on my knee.

3x10 Deadlifts. Not super heavy, but heavy enough that I'm gassing a bit on the last set.

3x10 curls

3x10 dumbbell bench press

3x10 what they call it when you learn over the bench and pick up the dumbbell?

3x10 Military press

3x10 shoulder shrugs

3x10 leg sled

3x10 calf curls

3x10 leg raises

And I usually finish with the assortment of machines used in the PF 30 minute workout, or the 12 minute PF abdominal workout.

That's right, fucking planet fitness lol. Hate if you want, but it's cheap, and has locations I can go to when I travel, like today (I'm in NYC again).

Any ideas? I'm starting to see some results after about a month, I'll post a pic. I want to be looking like I'm ready to train again by March. Current weight 235lbs, looking to get close to 205lbs, but stronger than I am now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181210_193456.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	18006  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181210_193538.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	18007  

Style
    CQC
    Stronglifts 5x5. Lift three times a week. Do cardio on the other three days.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Stronglifts 5x5. Lift three times a week. Do cardio on the other three days.
    Hm... that seems to be kinda less than what I'm already doing. What makes this program better than my current one? Genuinely asking, not arguing. I'm not a lifting expert at all, I kind of just do what I cuz in high school.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Regardless, I'm adding the lifts in the program because I've never tried a few, at least not with a bar bell instead of dumbbells.

What's the consensus in doing barbell exercises with the shorter bars? PF only has those outside of the squat rack.

Style
    Pro-Wrestling/PitFighting
    Bicep curls.

All day, every day.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Bicep curls.

All day, every day.
    Oh I'm doing them. Hey I'm in NYC, are you busy the next couple weeks?

Style
    CQC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    Hm... that seems to be kinda less than what I'm already doing. What makes this program better than my current one? Genuinely asking, not arguing. I'm not a lifting expert at all, I kind of just do what I cuz in high school.
    Train smarter not harder. It's high weight low volume. There's a limit to how fast you can recover without gear. Once linear progression stops switch to 5/3/1 or the Texas Method.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Train smarter not harder. It's high weight low volume. There's a limit to how fast you can recover without gear. Once linear progression stops switch to 5/3/1 or the Texas Method.
    I looked up the strong lifts program and the workouts are very legit, while also being impossible at my current gym or home for the most part. My PFs only barbells are in Smith machines/racks. I'd thought I could just do a lot of these lifts there, and do more pylo to keep my stabilizer muscles strong, but the strong lifts guy shits on that idea. Any thoughts?

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Strong lifts is a good program. I did it when I was younger. Now, I'm all in on calisthenics due to injuries over the years, convenience, and results.

You've got a few concepts that are general consensus. Large musle compound movements are better than isolation exercises unless you are on something and can recover really fast. Compound movements give you more bang for your buck.

For example, if you are doing pullups, you can take the bent rows and bicep workout out of your routine as you can accomplish both muscle groups with one exercise. Generally speaking, you never really need to do curls if you are doing good compound movements for your back.

I personally would add dips into your routine. They are a great workout for chest and triceps.

I'm guessing from what you said about your knee and not being able to run, that you have knee issues? Does that keep you from doing squats? If not, after I had my knee surgery, my ortho advised to skip leg extensions forever and do squats. It's a better compound movement and leg extensions put a lot of strain on your knee.

The push-pull method is a good guideline. And compound movement for a push should also have a counter pull exercise in order to keep good joint and muscle balance.

I go all calesthenic but you can do it all with weights as well. Bench press being a pushing compound exercise, barbell rows being a pull compound movement. Dips vs pullups... For legs, squats and deadlifts are the gold standard for most people.

Listen to your body. Everyone is different and react differently to programs. There is no real good one size fits all program. So you will have to keep experimenting with different stuff.

Just some ideas. Good luck on your program.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Kendo
    If all you have is dumbbells I'd add one-handed snatches and Turkish get-ups to your routine. The get-ups in particular I found really effective as an overall exercise.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... Last