Style
    Judo, BJJ

Australian Government passes Encryption bill

So it seems our government has passed a new encryption bill on their last sitting day for the year.
    (note for anyone not aware, the Liberal party/the Coalition in Australia is actually our right wing, Republican style party where as the Labor party are the left, Democrat style party. We are a topsy turvy sort of place, nothing is as it seems).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-...lance/10591944

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...ation/10570316

Quote Originally Posted by abc.net.au
    The bill proposes three key powers:
    • A technical assistance request: A company can choose to "voluntarily" help, such as give details about the development of a new online service
    • A technical assistance notice: A company is required to give assistance if they can. For example, if they have the ability to decrypt a specific communication, they must or face fines
    • A technical capability notice: The company must build a new function so it can assist police, as long as it does not force encryption to be broken

Now I'm by no means a professional in this field, but everything I've seen written about this so far seems to agree that despite assurances that this will not create vulnerabilities, it almost certainly will. I recall watching something from John Oliver not that long ago talking about Americas plan to do this and how flawed that would be and yet here we are doing the same sort of thing.

For those who are interested:

As much as I'd like to blame this one on old people in parliament who just don't understand how computers work, I'm sure they know exactly what they are doing and the control they will gain from this. As stated in the first article, the threats of terrorism and the damage that could be done by delaying this bill helped rush it through despite Labour being unhappy with it and asking the Coalition to agree to amendments first thing next year. I'm sure that Labour will be shocked and offended when they break their little pinky swear and nothing gets changed, because I mean it's passed now. Why would they back down on it?

This is a government that refuses to use Huawei because of concerns of backdoors the Chinese government could have built in. Why do they think Australian products will be received any better in the rest of the world with this law?

Quote Originally Posted by abc.net.au
    Mr Galbally pointed out Australia has been "reluctant" to deal with some foreign tech companies because of the potential security risks posed by those countries' national security laws.
    This year, for example, fears of this kind led the government to bar Chinese manufacturer Huawei from participating in the building of the 5G telecommunication network.

tl;dr - Australian Government passes bill to spy on it's people in the name of catching terrorists, which will likely do nothing to stop them as they move onto other encryption services the government has no control over. Instead just weakens security for the rest of us while giving everyone else in the world a reason to now be suspicious of Australian technology.
    Last edited by brend0_; 12/06/2018 6:49pm at . Reason: Formatting is hard

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Please, bro, please, use the correct term Labor when referring to the political party. You are making good points but if you use the u in the party's name, you lose credibility from people who follow our politics because people who use the u are often deadshits yelling the loudest.

Not only is it ****, but it is meaningless anyway, this Luddite government wouldn't know how to investigate a website even if they had Google Search Console, Google Analytics, and a billion dollar proprietary analysis software platform that they purchased from their mates in a mining company who got some software developers to shoehorn their project management software into an online data analysis platform using third rate third world developers who are still using FORTRAN.

One of the funniest things I saw before one of Queensland's last elections was the Liberal government absolutely smashing my Facebook alongside all these Christian and Conservative parties, but the comments on the Libs posts were fucking amazing because the dumb cunts had sent it worldwide. People from all over were confused, like, "wtf are you advertising to me for, I live in X".
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Please, bro, please, use the correct term Labor when referring to the political party. You are making good points but if you use the u in the party's name, you lose credibility from people who follow our politics because people who use the u are often deadshits yelling the loudest.

Not only is it ****, but it is meaningless anyway, this Luddite government wouldn't know how to investigate a website even if they had Google Search Console, Google Analytics, and a billion dollar proprietary analysis software platform that they purchased from their mates in a mining company who got some software developers to shoehorn their project management software into an online data analysis platform using third rate third world developers who are still using FORTRAN.

One of the funniest things I saw before one of Queensland's last elections was the Liberal government absolutely smashing my Facebook alongside all these Christian and Conservative parties, but the comments on the Libs posts were fucking amazing because the dumb cunts had sent it worldwide. People from all over were confused, like, "wtf are you advertising to me for, I live in X".
    Ah dammit, I was conscious of it in the first instance but defaulted back to labour after that. I'll be more careful of that in the future.

From what I see of the wording so far it doesn't seem like they necessarily have to know how to investigate it as much as saying to a company "give us what we want or it will cost you alot of money". I've seen some figures claiming the company fines for non compliance sit around $10,000,000 and the individual fines are $50,000 or up to 10 years prison. As well as fines or prison for disclosing to people that it's happening to them. However I can't recall where I found that info so take them with a grain of salt until I get a source on them.

Even if this ends up being a clumsy ineffective implementation, I'm concerned about the precedent this helps set for the future. I mean last time it was metadata retention, now they are aiming at encryption. We've already allowed ourselves to get bullied into blocking torrent sites. It just seems that we are looking at a "Great Firewall of Australia" sometime in the future and all of these things are just steps along the way.

Until more recently I haven't really cared much for politics taking the stance of "oh well most of them are as bad as each other, although Labor is a little better so I'll vote for them". Not really looking at the policies or the things that don't tend to get covered by Mr Murdoch. Political affiliations of media and such are something I just never really used to consider so I never really questioned it. But I think ignorance of this sort of erosion of rights is dangerous and I know I'm far from the only one not paying enough attention until it's too late.

I don't recall seeing much Libs or conservative stuff on my page. Although I am on at least 1 Atheist page on Facebook, and I do tend to report any targeted Liberal posts and ads as spam so maybe they just got the hint.

Style
    Mixed
    This scene has summed up this issue for over 30 years. Nothing has changed since then.