Style
    Yoshinkan Aikido

Kendo advice - new student

I'm looking at joining a Kendo club I stumbled across in a few months, does anyone have any advice for a new student?
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilus View Post
    I'm looking at joining a Kendo club I stumbled across in a few months, does anyone have any advice for a new student?
    Just do as you are told, and you will be fine.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kendo
    Are you actually in Iraq? There's no FIK-affiliated kendo there that I'm aware of. Can you point me to a website for the club? First thing to do is check whether you are going to learn kendo or something else.

After that, my only advice is to approach kendo with an open mind. The stances and way of movement are different from any other martial art you may have tried. So the best thing is to not compare, just try to do what you are instructed to the best of your knowledge. Reading books or watching videos is nice but won't really make much difference. Most instructors would prefer you come in raw, they will teach you the etiquette, terminology and technique you need.

Good cardio fitness is the biggest thing you can add outside the dojo, although you won't need it in the early going. If you're out of shape, consider adding some sort of regular cardio workout. Run, bike, swim, whatever floats your boat. It's easier to concentrate on your technique when you're not fighting the urge to hurl through your helmet.

Style
    Yoshinkan Aikido
    I am but the club is back home not here, I'm looking to join it when I get back. Stumbled across them right before leaving.

I appreciate the advice thanks. If I can remember the name of the club I'll fire off a PM to you and make you can check them out and get a feel for them? I think they're on FB. It looked really interesting and something different.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Style
    Playground warrior
    Have fun.

Donít wear the spare bogu (you wonít have to worry for a while).

Bring something to wipe your sweat up.

Go commando.
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    I am but the club is back home not here, I'm looking to join it when I get back.
    Get home safe.

Style
    Kendo
    I am but the club is back home not here, I'm looking to join it when I get back. Stumbled across them right before leaving.

I appreciate the advice thanks. If I can remember the name of the club I'll fire off a PM to you and make you can check them out and get a feel for them? I think they're on FB. It looked really interesting and something different.
    No problem, get home safe. If you're on active military duty I doubt fitness will be any issue for you as a kendo beginner, btw. Kind of the opposite, you will have to learn to use technique properly and not over-muscle it. Like most martial arts.