Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    Shin*Ken Goshin Jitsu

So you don't wanna fight???

I've been browsing around the web alot this past week, and can't help but notice how much all these mma fighters have become the world experts in martial arts, and there "that won't work when your fighting" attitude, it's not martial arts of your not sparring or rolling, if you don't fight/spar/roll then your a *****. I've been practicing martial arts since I was 6 (pre dating ufc), and back then there was many reasons for training, fitness, self belief, confidence, discipline or just to have fun, notice how knock someones bullocks in wasn't there, thats mostly because we trained in the hope of NOT fighting. Now I regularly spar and roll, as do the majority of my students, but there is many other reasons people practice martial arts, whatever there reason, they should be welcomed to train in whatever art they want, and when trying to better themselves seeking advice, they shouldn't have to defend themselves from others claiming to be martial artists yet showing the attributes of thugs and bullies. I'm not saying every mma fighter has this attitude, a lot of them couldn't do enough to help others but there is large number that our self proclaimed experts due to there bjj blue belt and a bit of strike training over the past 3 or 4 years, live and let live, if you can help someone in a positive manner go for it, but try not destroy the arts we all love on your ego trip. There's a place for everyone, and it's not always a cage. Oss

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    *facepalm*

Good luck, with that.

Yes, obviously the idea is to not hurt somebody, unless you have to and then all bets are off. You want to just get fit and do flashy spin kicks, great, go for it, but you need to draw a line. Because, at some point, the rubber hits the road. Competition is the closest you can come without actually maiming or killing, and actually both of those things do happen. It is the practical application of martial arts in as safe a manner as possible. So, when a pro says "that won't work," you should actually listen, because maybe (s)he has tried it and failed. Maybe they weren't "doing it right," maybe you would have better luck if you put your ass on the line, but, hey, pro fighter, so de-facto expert compared to you or I.

Style
    Shin*Ken Goshin Jitsu
    I agree, but also believe there's more to it than competition, and just type mma into youtube, 100s of videos of pointless brutality by fighters, I'm all for someone working there ass off training for competition of that's what they wanna do, but there's videos there of them taking violence to a whole new level on the street, whatever happened the self control. I regularly spar mma guys just to get that close to the real thing experience and try techniques to see what does and doesn't work, but I've never had to smash someone up in the street, just all seems to be a who's cocks bigger thing.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by BushiDude View Post
    I agree, but also believe there's more to it than competition, and just type mma into youtube, 100s of videos of pointless brutality by fighters, I'm all for someone working there ass off training for competition of that's what they wanna do, but there's videos there of them taking violence to a whole new level on the street, whatever happened the self control. I regularly spar mma guys just to get that close to the real thing experience and try techniques to see what does and doesn't work, but I've never had to smash someone up in the street, just all seems to be a who's cocks bigger thing.
    Perhaps you should pick one or two of these videos that you find representative of the problem, share them here, and comment more specifically.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by BushiDude View Post
    If my or anothers life is in danger you better believe someone is going to get "smashed up" it has nothing to do with whose penis is bigger.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Perhaps you should pick one or two of these videos that you find representative of the problem, share them here, and comment more specifically.
    I think that would move the conversation in a more understandable direction because I am kinda confused.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    If my or anothers life is in danger you better believe someone is going to get "smashed up" it has nothing to do with whose penis is bigger.
    Outside the US, cockfighting actually involves roosters, or cocks. We have a complete bastardization in our chicken fighting, which is actually a dick-measuring contest, of a sort.

In other news, one of my cousins has a rooster who's a complete ************. He never shuts up, day or night, and he tries to jump every hen in the coop. Thinking he's going to be dinner, soon.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Is he saying MMA training is too effective in the street?
    I keep rereading his post and I keep coming up with "MMA is 2 d3adly 4 Teh sTreetz"
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Maybe? I kinda read it as "MMA is too deadly for the dojo," which is just stupid, and why I took the tack I did.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Maybe? I kinda read it as "MMA is too deadly for the dojo," which is just stupid, and why I took the tack I did.
    But he claims to go and train with MMA guys to check his skill level and see if things work ...

I am sooooo confused.
    *cries softly into his MMA gloves and chants "Worldstar" repeatedly between sobs*
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last