Page 11 of 11 First ... 7891011
  1. #101
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,194
    Style
    Kendo
    1
    Being a good uke for kata is hard, it's true. I definitely agree with you on the diving part as well. I like a good, honest kata where it is clear that the throw succeeds because tori executed properly.

    By and large you are correct: there isn't much to get out of kata, in my opinion, that you couldn't get by just good nage-komi. However I think there is value in practicing the throws to be just so, and people are rarely so persnickety in their regular practice.

    In Canada, you need to start doing kata for orange belt. I think it's stupid, but there you go.

  2. #102

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    159
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Being a good uke for kata is hard, it's true. I definitely agree with you on the diving part as well. I like a good, honest kata where it is clear that the throw succeeds because tori executed properly.

    By and large you are correct: there isn't much to get out of kata, in my opinion, that you couldn't get by just good nage-komi. However I think there is value in practicing the throws to be just so, and people are rarely so persnickety in their regular practice.

    In Canada, you need to start doing kata for orange belt. I think it's stupid, but there you go.
    Oh wow so its actually required? I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, my coach made me do the first 2 kata for my orange belt but it wasn't required, just a good bit of practice. We have one guy in our club ranked #2 in Australia, so good when he's Uke he makes you look like a superstar haha.

    I've found myself resorting just to my main throws in randori lately, just looking for Harai Goshi and a left side seoi nage (surprised the hell out of a black belt who joined the club in my absence with that one). Honestly I'm just so out of practise with all my other throws that they are all I can even think of at the time. As you said the kata seems to be more of a perfection of the technique and I need to work back up to that for now.

  3. #103
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,194
    Style
    Kendo
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by brend0_ View Post
    I've found myself resorting just to my main throws in randori lately, just looking for Harai Goshi and a left side seoi nage
    As you should, get that tokui-waza on lockdown. Another goofy thing about the Canadian grading system is the sheer volume of waza you need to know to pass the kyu exams. I just think it's dopey to ask that a yellow belt be able to do 10 different throws.

  4. #104

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    159
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    As you should, get that tokui-waza on lockdown. Another goofy thing about the Canadian grading system is the sheer volume of waza you need to know to pass the kyu exams. I just think it's dopey to ask that a yellow belt be able to do 10 different throws.
    Don't think that's too far off what we needed to do here. From memory it's basically knowing an extra set of the Gokyo per belt, so an extra 8 throws. As well as a certain number of hold downs, arm bars etc per grading. IIRC that's 8 throws for yellow, 2 or 3 hold downs required, a basic arm bar, as well as demonstrated ability to do breakfalls and understanding some basic judo terms/history.

    I have an Australian Judo booklet around that is like a quick guide to throws holddowns etc as well as grading requirements per rank but I can't find it at the moment. Lose it everytime I take it out of my Judo bag....

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  5. #105
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    22,472
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    As you should, get that tokui-waza on lockdown. Another goofy thing about the Canadian grading system is the sheer volume of waza you need to know to pass the kyu exams. I just think it's dopey to ask that a yellow belt be able to do 10 different throws.
    It's totally dopey. They just divide the number of throws by the number of grades, and there you go ?

    I often think the people who design grading systems in Judo don't really know how to do or teach Judo effectively.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #106
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,194
    Style
    Kendo
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It's totally dopey. They just divide the number of throws by the number of grades, and there you go ?

    I often think the people who design grading systems in Judo don't really know how to do or teach Judo effectively.
    Yeah. I really like the kendo way of doing it. There's a kata component to the grading, but it's easy to learn it well enough and the judges don't care about it so much. There's no laundry list of waza to show. The real exam is the two demo matches against other candidates. Can you score points on another candidate for the same grade? While scoring those points, are you showing the sorts of things we want to see at that level? Those sorts of things aren't specific waza, they are more about movement, timing, understanding of opportunity,etc.

  7. #107
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    22,472
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Yeah. I really like the kendo way of doing it. There's a kata component to the grading, but it's easy to learn it well enough and the judges don't care about it so much. There's no laundry list of waza to show. The real exam is the two demo matches against other candidates. Can you score points on another candidate for the same grade? While scoring those points, are you showing the sorts of things we want to see at that level? Those sorts of thingsplus aren't specific waza, they are more about movement, timing, understanding of opportunity,etc.

    Yes, it would be better that way. If a person has fundamentals sound, learning more was is not a big deal.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 11 of 11 First ... 7891011

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in