Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    all things in Moderation

FBI Reports Largest Spike in Hate Crimes Since 9/11

"FBI Reports Largest Spike in Hate Crimes Since 9/11"
    https://www.voanews.com/a/fbi-hate-c...t/4656468.html

WASHINGTON —
    The number of hate crimes reported in the United States jumped by 17 percent last year, the largest increase since 2001 when the terrorist hijackings on 9/11 fueled a surge in attacks on Americans of Muslim and Arab ancestry.

U.S. law enforcement agencies reported a total of 7,175 hate crimes in 2017, up from 6,121 in 2016 and the third consecutive annual increase, the FBI said in its annual hate crime report released on Tuesday. More than 60 percent of the incidents were designated as crimes against persons such as assault and intimidation.

The victims represented a cross section of society, with African-Americans and Jews the most frequently targeted victims. Of 34 bias motivation categories tracked by the FBI, all but five reported an increase.

The report came two weeks after a gunman killed 11 people at a synagogue in Pittsburgh, leading civil rights advocates to slam the Trump administration for failing to do more to stem the rising tide of hate crime.

President Donald Trump condemned the mass shooting, saying it exposed “the hate in our country” and calling for a stiffening of death penalty laws.

In a statement, Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker called the report “a call to action” and vowed that “we will heed that call.”

"I am particularly troubled by the increase in anti-Semitic hate crimes, which were already the most common religious hate crimes in the United States, that is well documented in this report,” Whitaker said. “The American people can be assured that this Department has already taken significant and aggressive actions against these crimes and that we will vigorously and effectively defend their rights."

The FBI defines a hate crime as a “criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender or gender identity.”

The vast majority of hate crimes in the United States are prosecuted in state courts, with federal prosecutors typically charging between one and two dozen defendants for hate crimes per year under various federal hate crime statutes. In 2018, the Justice Department filed 22 hate crime cases, according to a spokeswoman.

Race and religion remained the two biggest drivers of hate crimes in 2017.

There were 4,832 incidents motivated by race, ethnicity or ancestry, an increase of 18 percent from 2016 and accounting for 58 percent of all hate crimes last year. Nearly half of all racially motivated incidents involved African-Americans. Anti-Hispanic bias accounted for nearly 11 percent of the incidents. Anti-Arab hate crimes, though representative of a small fraction of the overall number, increased by 100 percent.
    Article continues in detail.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    "FBI Reports Largest Spike in Hate Crimes Since 9/11"
    https://www.voanews.com/a/fbi-hate-c...t/4656468.html

Article continues in detail.
    Obviously, we need to get rid of the people with different races or religions, then, there would be no more crime. /sarcasm

C'mon, cry baby, cry for me! CRRRYYY! supporting member
    Fucking bunch of reactionary twats. Why don’t you read a little? How about starting with the FBI’s own website?

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/201...eleased-111318

Summary...there’s no fucking story here. The FBI is making a massive push for more agencies to report data that wasn’t being reported before. Nothing has changed, except a thousand new agencies reported **** that was already occurring but not reported on previous federal statistics.

Dumbasses.

Look guys. You need to have a basic understanding of how statistics work. **** like that doesn’t just change by 17 fucking percent in a single year. That’s almost always going to be indicative of a change in reporting methodology. That’s how I knew to look for such a change. It took two minutes. You’re not even trying.

Style
    Autoimmune disease
    The FBI report is based on data provided voluntarily by law enforcement agencies, leaving it susceptible to gaps in reporting. Last year, more than 16,000 law enforcement agencies took part in the data collection, yet only 2,000 agencies actually reported hate crimes. Greenblatt noted that at least 92 cities with populations of over 100,000 people “affirmatively reported zero hate crimes.”
    And...

Although the numbers increased last year, so did the number of law enforcement agencies reporting hate crime data—with approximately 1,000 additional agencies contributing information.

One of them says that 1000 additional agencies contributed to the collection but the other one says that only 2000 contributed overall. One would think statistically that a 100% increase in agencies reporting hate crimes that it would produce a larger percentage increase in the number reported. Unless hate crimes actually went down by a staggering number, I think one or both of these statements are only giving loose statements of fact rather than precise statements of fact.

Or the bong water in my eyes is clouding my vision. I'll settle with either/or.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Look guys. You need to have a basic understanding of how statistics work. **** like that doesn’t just change by 17 fucking percent in a single year. That’s almost always going to be indicative of a change in reporting methodology. That’s how I knew to look for such a change. It took two minutes. You’re not even trying.
    The Devil is the Father of Lies.

And Statistics, misinterpreted, are Lies of the Highest Order.

When definitions are changed, or previously unreported data is included, great spikes and dips are seen, even though there was no real change in the real previous trend.

We may not praise Devil, because he is still the Devil, but the Devil was always talented at causing the most mischief by simply speaking the plain truth.

This is why I typically try to avoid referencing statistics in arguments. It’s not because I’m lazy. I just know how easily statistics are manipulated. I have too much integrity to just go find statistical support for my position and present it as fact when I understand how shaky it all is.

When you’re dealing with massive amounts of data, you probably don’t fully understand it unless you prepared it, and even then there are often question marks.

I’d rather just discuss ideas usually, because it’s more honest.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    This is why I typically try to avoid referencing statistics in arguments. It’s not because I’m lazy. I just know how easily statistics are manipulated. I have too much integrity to just go find statistical support for my position and present it as fact when I understand how shaky it all is.

When you’re dealing with massive amounts of data, you probably don’t fully understand it unless you prepared it, and even then there are often question marks.

I’d rather just discuss ideas usually, because it’s more honest.
    Logic is often superior to statistics, and certainly often superior to citations.

But Statistics are very useful, because we are often blind, and when we are blind, our logic may be built off of very flawed and erroneous initial premises.

We should always be asking, "what does the data say", on many questions.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Logic is often superior to statistics, and certainly often superior to citations.

But Statistics are very useful, because we are often blind, and when we are blind, our logic may be built off of very flawed and erroneous initial premises.

We should always be asking, "what does the data say", on many questions.
    Hence my lack of commentary.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Hence my lack of commentary.
    Oh, bullshit. You just didn’t get around to making a diatribe yet. Where was your article about the FBI reporting changes posted without comment? You were content to sell that **** to anyone who would buy it.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last