Page 4 of 4 First 1234
  1. #31
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    22,472
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    You switched gyms or stopped training the Jits?
    Switched gyms, LOL, lots of choices around here...

    No, but my neck does not handle being wrenched very well anymore, so I am not training, be it from rolling or being thrown.

    The surgery to (maybe) fix the worst of it would require a 3 month layoff from work, minimum.

    I am a sad panda, for sure...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #32
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    22,472
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    I think Judo was intended to be PE, not something aimed to develop elite competitors only. Maybe the real thing is the "watered down" version not the "aim for the Olympic Games or get the **** out of here".
    I agree, but I think Kano saw Judo at multiple levels. PE for kids, absolutely, providing a sound base for further training if desired.

    He was a big moderation in everything kind of guy.

    And in fact, I've got no objection to moderate training, or running that sort of class/school. I offered to do so for adults at the judo club, but, apparently my rep for being a competition coach (not exactly undeserved) was not encouraging to potential participants.

    Plus, people want to feel like they are badasses, even if they do not train that way. BJJ really caters to that market, Judo not so much.

    My jits coach is great, I miss going there to train, but I'm not going cripple myself anymore than I have to.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #33
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,518
    Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Switched gyms, LOL, lots of choices around here...

    No, but my neck does not handle being wrenched very well anymore, so I am not training, be it from rolling or being thrown.

    The surgery to (maybe) fix the worst of it would require a 3 month layoff from work, minimum.

    I am a sad panda, for sure...
    Sorry to hear that. Take care.

  4. #34
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    22,472
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Take care.
    Thanks, I'm trying not to paralyze my left arm...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    626
    Style
    Autoimmune disease
    I mean who hasn't just walked into a bar and said, "Gimme a beer, damn it! And the money in the register! It's mine! I'm a MAN! WHOOOOOOOOO!"

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    626
    Style
    Autoimmune disease
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

    My jits coach is great, I miss going there to train, but I'm not going cripple myself anymore than I have to.
    Those knee and shoulder injuries add up after awhile don't they?

  7. #37
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    22,472
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Beatles View Post
    Those knee and shoulder injuries add up after awhile don't they?
    yes, they do.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in