Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Gordon Ryan - Original BJJ Was Real Men Who Took What They Wanted (Clickbait Title)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15420657019043894140740490578205.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	17986

Not sure if anyone can read this, I'll transcribe in case:

"I love how people say "BJJ is built around respect and honor".
    No it's not!
    It's built around savage Brazilians kicking the **** out of people just because they could. Storming gyms of other martial arts and fighting their instructors just to show how superior BJJ was. And while I think that's fucking awesome, it's not a fairytale you guys tell about respect and honor. This sport is built around real men who didn't give a **** and took what they wanted."
    - Gordon Ryan.
    It came up in my Facebook feed (can't attribute to a page, nor can guarantee he said it) and I thought it interesting on many levels. It is a statement that I both agree and disagree with.

From my perspective, being a hardnosed bastard, I think that storming martial arts gyms and fighting the instructors is indeed honorable and showing respect. They were essentially doing what this website was designed to do, out frauds and advocate for the best training possible. Is there anything more noble than destroying conmen and shedding light on a truth? This is why I disagree.

But, like this website, there is egos involved with individuals and in saying that, this is where I agree with the statement. Individuals might have dojo-stormed and beat the **** out of people because they were cunts.

It seems to also not take into account that dojo storming was not something that the Brazilians made up out of thin air, it's virtually enshrined in Kung Fu mythology and while I'm not as well versed on the Japanese martial arts history, I'm pretty damn sure it happened there too.

But yeah, it ain't a fairytale, but life ain't a fairytale, and I also don't think that anyone in real martial arts thinks of real fighting like a fairytale, so it depends on where you personally land in regards to what constitutes respect and honor in your ethical and moral code.

What say you?
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Attachment 17985

From my perspective, being a hardnosed bastard, I think that storming martial arts gyms and fighting the instructors is indeed honorable and showing respect.
    Beating up people who cannot fight is not always honorable.

Fine line between exposing fraud and just beating people up.

I say this as someone who came up where we accepted challenges for real fights from whomever came through the door requesting a test of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, and I have the dental work of a hockey player.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post

Name:	15420657019043894140740490578205.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	17986

Not sure if anyone can read this, I'll transcribe in case:

It came up in my Facebook feed (can't attribute to a page, nor can guarantee he said it) and I thought it interesting on many levels. It is a statement that I both agree and disagree with.

From my perspective, being a hardnosed bastard, I think that storming martial arts gyms and fighting the instructors is indeed honorable and showing respect. They were essentially doing what this website was designed to do, out frauds and advocate for the best training possible. Is there anything more noble than destroying conmen and shedding light on a truth? This is why I disagree.

But, like this website, there is egos involved with individuals and in saying that, this is where I agree with the statement. Individuals might have dojo-stormed and beat the **** out of people because they were cunts.

It seems to also not take into account that dojo storming was not something that the Brazilians made up out of thin air, it's virtually enshrined in Kung Fu mythology and while I'm not as well versed on the Japanese martial arts history, I'm pretty damn sure it happened there too.

But yeah, it ain't a fairytale, but life ain't a fairytale, and I also don't think that anyone in real martial arts thinks of real fighting like a fairytale, so it depends on where you personally land in regards to what constitutes respect and honor in your ethical and moral code.

What say you?
    I say that just because one person can beat up another, doesn't make the martial art/way/combat sport the winner practices superior to that of the loser.

Bunch of stupid, uneducated, fascist Brazilian jocks beating up an Aikido instructor doesn't prove anything.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    I follow GR on twitter and Instagram and that quote has never come through my feed. Just spent some time hunting for it and I can't find it. Need to see a source or I'm gonna call BS.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    I follow GR on twitter and Instagram
    Bwahaha.

You're a fanboy.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    https://www.facebook.com/jiujitsumaps/

Screenshot in case they get called out by him for Fake News:

Name:	gr.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	17987
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Bunch of stupid, uneducated, fascist Brazilian jocks beating up an Aikido instructor doesn't prove anything.
    Grey area. For an experiment to be good it needs a large sample size. A fight proves very little. 100 fights can prove a lot more.

Rorion,Saulo Ribero and Maia all have law degrees. They are educated fascists.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Grey area. For an experiment to be good it needs a large sample size. A fight proves very little. 100 fights can prove a lot more.

Rorion,Saulo Ribero and Maia all have law degrees. They are educated fascists.
    Brazilian law degrees...

I threw in the uneducated for exaggeration, had no idea of the realz.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Brazilian law degrees...

I threw in the uneducated for exaggeration, had no idea of the realz.
    They are important , learned men who's offices smell of leather bound books.

C'mon, cry baby, cry for me! CRRRYYY! supporting member
    Well, first....Gordon Ryan is cringy as ****. He’s obnoxious and acts like a retarded teenager. He’s also a fucking winner, so yin and yang or some ****.

I don’t know if he’s responsible for the quote or not. Doesn’t really matter. The quote is true. BJJ was borne of competitiveness, not some silly idea about jiu jitsu for everyone like you hear about now.

I think it’s productive for people who practice fake martial arts to be humiliated. It’s especially productive for the humiliated party, if they choose to learn from the experience.

However, there’s no doubt that the Gracies did some things that were just straight up dick moves. Like the video online of them going into a Judo club and acting like assholes by refusing to play by the rules of Judo. That’s just fucking stupid. If you want to have challenge matches, go for it. But you don’t need to walk into somebody’s judo class and **** on it by refusing to do Judo.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last