Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. #21
    King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    King Moonracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    7,510
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    The sport jiu jitsu vs self defense jiu jitsu debate is an argument for old dudes. The future belongs to the young guns, and the best of them will be well rounded grapplers, comfortable in multiple styles and in all phases of combat.
    The future is now.

    Damien Maia

    Vinny Magalhaes

    Dos Anjos

    Roger Gracie

    Rodolpho Viera

    Travis Stevens

    Buchecha

    Raphael Lovato Jr.

    Gordon Ryan

    Garry Tonnon

    Keenan

    Andre Glavao

    Cyborg

  2. #22
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    22,468
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    I've never heard of this obvious wrestling no-no. Can you cite an authoritative source that says this?
    May I also point out that many of these "Judo" throws were put on the video series Dan Gable did back in the 90's.


    Honestly the distinction between Judo and Wrestling(aside from the Jackets) started to fade in the '70s when Judoka started taking up High School wrestling and then went on to be D1 wrestlers with scholarships. One of my early coaches was a Yodan named Bruce Leighty(yes he is a Godan now, possibly higher haven't kept up), he taught me to fear taking someone down into their guard. Wrestling has taken a lot from Judo, or at least Judoka do well in wrestling. I'm not enough of a wrestling historian to know if those throws were originally part of the catalog.
    It's all pretty much multiple false dichotomies.

    Bruce Leighty, I've heard of.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #23
    C'mon, cry baby, cry for me! CRRRYYY! supporting member
    Scut Farkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    12,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    The future is now.

    Damien Maia

    Vinny Magalhaes

    Dos Anjos

    Roger Gracie

    Rodolpho Viera

    Travis Stevens

    Buchecha

    Raphael Lovato Jr.

    Gordon Ryan

    Garry Tonnon

    Keenan

    Andre Glavao

    Cyborg
    There are some, for sure. I just think the game will continue to grow and there are more grapplers making this their sport from a young age. More opportunities for success and more opportunities to learn it all instead of just pieces.

    Also, I’m not sure how you left Werdum and Jacare off your list, but whatevs.

    Side note.....surprisingly, despite the fact that Travis Stevens is a terrifying human being, I’ve heard at least one interview of him spouting some wacky ideas about self defense.

    And Keenan? I’d have to argue with that one. He’s awesome but I don’t think he’s spent much time giving a **** about self defense.

    Just to be clear - I’m not questioning Travis’ or Keenan’s ability to defend themselves at all. I’m just saying they’re probably not who you’d want teaching you self defense because it isn’t their area of real expertise.
    Last edited by Scut Farkus; 11/13/2018 1:07pm at .

  4. #24
    King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    King Moonracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    7,510
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    There are some, for sure. I just think the game will continue to grow and there are more grapplers making this their sport from a young age. More opportunities for success and more opportunities to learn it all instead of just pieces.

    Also, Iím not sure how you left Werdum and Jacare off your list, but whatevs.

    Side note.....surprisingly, despite the fact that Travis Stevens is a terrifying human being, Iíve heard at least one interview of him spouting some wacky ideas about self defense.

    And Keenan? Iíd have to argue with that one. Heís awesome but I donít think heís spent much time giving a **** about self defense.

    Just to be clear - Iím not questioning Travisí or Keenanís ability to defend themselves at all. Iím just saying theyíre probably not who youíd want teaching you self defense because it isnít their area of real expertise.

    Keenan spent a lot of his time on mma in the earlier belts. He quit because of the concussions in training. Keenan likes Gi the most but he can wrestle well but his guard is superior . I have watched him throw people around at blackbelt and Adcc.

    Travis I just kinda assumed because hes so good everywhere.

    It's not a passion of either and I dont know if they have spent time as bouncers. They are just really well rounded grapplers.

  5. #25
    C'mon, cry baby, cry for me! CRRRYYY! supporting member
    Scut Farkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    12,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Keenan spent a lot of his time on mma in the earlier belts. He quit because of the concussions in training. Keenan likes Gi the most but he can wrestle well but his guard is superior . I have watched him throw people around at blackbelt and Adcc.

    Travis I just kinda assumed because hes so good everywhere.

    It's not a passion of either and I dont know if they have spent time as bouncers. They are just really well rounded grapplers.
    Thatís true. I remember reading that about Keenan.

    They are well rounded grapplers, for sure.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in