Page 5 of 5 First 12345
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    14
    Style
    Untrained
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    I assume (though I'm not certain) that combat sambo is more grappling oriented.
    Which thinking about it from your point of view is probably a con, though from mine is a pro.

    EDIT: plus you get fancier outfits and a more exotic sounding MA, which is cool.
    As long as striking isn't a small part of the sport I don't mind, looking at combat sambo it seems like ground work is less of a thing and it's more point based but I don't really have the knowledge to make a good assessment

    https://youtu.be/79JDNdrm-HM

    This is what I looked at for reference
    Last edited by SharpShaver; 11/10/2018 5:36pm at .

  2. #42
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    3,157
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpShaver View Post
    As long as striking isn't a small part of the sport I don't mind, looking at combat sambo it seems like ground work is less of a thing and it's more point based but I don't really have the knowledge to make a good assessment

    https://youtu.be/79JDNdrm-HM

    This is what I looked at for reference


    That is what combat sambo looks like.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

    "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

  3. #43
    halfcut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    918
    Style
    SAMBO
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpShaver View Post
    What are the pros and cons of combat sambo vs your average mma gym?
    This is entirely dependant on the gym in question as lot of Combat Sambo gyms are MMA gyms. If you're in the Denver area I'm assuming you're talking about FuseBoxe, which is also an MMA gym.

  4. #44
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    5,197
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpShaver View Post
    As long as striking isn't a small part of the sport I don't mind, looking at combat sambo it seems like ground work is less of a thing and it's more point based but I don't really have the knowledge to make a good assessment

    https://youtu.be/79JDNdrm-HM

    This is what I looked at for reference
    If a legit Combat Sambo school was an option, I pick it over everything. Bar none.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    14
    Style
    Untrained
    Quote Originally Posted by halfcut View Post
    This is entirely dependant on the gym in question as lot of Combat Sambo gyms are MMA gyms. If you're in the Denver area I'm assuming you're talking about FuseBoxe, which is also an MMA gym.
    How would you rate FuseBox? It seems like everyone is recommending SAMBO so barring problems with FuseBox or an outstanding gym in the Denver area it seems like the way to go

  6. #46
    halfcut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    918
    Style
    SAMBO
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpShaver View Post
    How would you rate FuseBox? It seems like everyone is recommending SAMBO so barring problems with FuseBox or an outstanding gym in the Denver area it seems like the way to go
    The head coach, Michael Sullivan won gold in at the Pan-Ams a few years ago in Combat Sambo. They have a few other competitors who have have competed internationally as well so they're definitely legit in that space. I would go check them out to get a feel for the place and see if it's a good fit for you.

Page 5 of 5 First 12345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in