Style
    Bartitsu

Martial arts/charity connections?

Martial arts training is and should be mostly about learning to beat people up real good, but when you've been doing that for a long time you may start to wish it was about, y'know, a bit more than that. I'm old and creaky now and starting to think about legacy and "giving back", making the world a better place and such.

What are your favorite stories about martial artists, schools or clubs contributing to charities? Spar-a-thons to raise funds for childhood cancer research? Schools who really go the extra mile to help out disadvantaged students? You get the picture.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Martial arts training is and should be mostly about learning to beat people up real good, but when you've been doing that for a long time you may start to wish it was about, y'know, a bit more than that. I'm old and creaky now and starting to think about legacy and "giving back", making the world a better place and such.

What are your favorite stories about martial artists, schools or clubs contributing to charities? Spar-a-thons to raise funds for childhood cancer research? Schools who really go the extra mile to help out disadvantaged students? You get the picture.
    I know several Judo black belts that taught Judo to underprivileged kids in Boys Clubs and YMCA's for free for 40 years plus.

And, I know wrestling coaches with similar contributions to underprivileged kids for decades, as well as boxing coaches.

This is a particular contribution, especially when many of those kids have no father in their lives that is not in jail, or an abusive alcoholic, or etc, etc.

Style
    Grappling, Boxing
    FWIW I train at The Salvation Army (TSA Martial Arts Malmö). We do grappling, and have been for 8 years. I would say about half of the kids are having some sort of disability and about a third, maybe, have their dues paid by the Salvation Army.