Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Style
    Hapkido
    So I swung by his dojang today, since I was in the area. I snapped some pictures of his "taekwondo certifications". Totally BS, no? Where my TKD ppl at?

Also, his judo lineage, from what he tells me, is from a Joseph Connelly, along with some random taekwondo dudes who happen to be high ranking judo guys too in DC and somewhere else (I forget). Judo guys, does this ring any alarm bells?

He also proudly showed me his supposed Korea Hapkido Federation dan certificate, which was completely bogus, because the KHF has been using the same dan certificates for at least 20 years and it didn't look like it, had no picture or dan serial number, and had his name hand written. When I showed him a picture of my dan certificate from the same era (his "6th dan" certificate he showed me was dated 1998, my 1st dan was from 1996), he said "well, I attended a master's course in the US alongside the current US KHF president so my hapkido credentials are legit"

I'm worried because this guy is trying to get legit dojang charters from actual organizations (US chungdokwan charter and 7th dan is his goal for this year, from what he told me) and who knows what kind of trouble that might cause?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8863.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	17961  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8864.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	17962  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8865.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	17963  

Style
    Hapkido
    update. he's been publicly called out on his false credentials (by a few people, including me), and he's still claiming that he's a certified 7th dan in order to recruit students in his ads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47578767_728303037534254_6174842080225918976_n.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	18005  

Broken Kung Fu Repair Man supporting member

Style
    South Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    From Joe's link above he doesn't mention judo. Is1Jon - have you got any links or scans of certificates that you can sure claiming any expertise in judo or ranks he has awarded in judo?
    In 2005, he returned to the program that he founded in 1989, now called The Way CTU (Christian Taekwondo University) to be a guest instructor. Master Miller would also receive his 3rd Master Ranking this time in the art of Yudo. He received his 4th Degree Black Belt in Yudo from the Republic of Korea Yudo Association.

Those certificates don't look like anything I have ever seen.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Quote Originally Posted by NittyRanks View Post
    Those certificates don't look like anything I have ever seen.
    I just went on eBay and searched TKD certificate. You would be amazed at the custom print & fill-in-the-blank kits you can buy for a few bucks. I've been a 2nd Dan since 1988, I'm thinking about ordering one and promoting myself. Other than a total lack of personal integrity, nobody would be any the wiser (and I am totally joking).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taekwondo-k...ZWm8:rk:6:pf:0
    I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I just went on eBay and searched TKD certificate. You would be amazed at the custom print & fill-in-the-blank kits you can buy for a few bucks. I've been a 2nd Dan since 1988, I'm thinking about ordering one and promoting myself. Other than a total lack of personal integrity, nobody would be any the wiser (and I am totally joking).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taekwondo-k...ZWm8:rk:6:pf:0
    I got my 4th in 1997, I know what you meant. I was an ITF guy.I think it's easier to fake things with some martial arts. Since 2001 I have been involved with Judo and the lineage is easier to track as there are fewer Judoka and Judo schools in the US. It's a real small community.

Style
    Taekwondo
    Shane Miller is a student of Richard Hackworth. Richard Hackworth, as the name suggests, is a self-promoted hack. Back in the early 2000's he was a legit KHF (Korea Hapkido Federation) 6th dan, but got kicked out of the KHF over a fake rank certificate scam. Hackworth runs a bunch of his own organizations for Hapkido, Taekwondo, etc. He has no legit rank outside of Hapkido except for maybe a jungdokwan 1st dan that in itself was the product of some controversy (he was shopping around and trying to acquire high rank in TKD that the Kukkiwon would cross-certify, but he got caught). Hackworth is a complete tool though he acts like he personally gave birth to Korean martial arts. Runs his "empire" out of a laughably tiny school in Florida and has a couple of affiliates, many of which track to the homes of some of his students rather than actual schools. Google him and all sorts of interesting stuff pops up...

Page 4 of 4 First 1234