Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    Wounded Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,749
    Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    1

    US November elections - what are you planning to do, and why? Also help me figure out

    So, I am getting ready to vote for the US November midterm elections. It is a depressing task because I have to go through the ballot book, look up all the local politicians many of whom seem to be trapped in the past (and they probably only get away with it because people mostly pay attention to the federal level only) and pick whomever would be least injurious to the future, and plus research all the direct voter ballot initiatives and basically try to find out what is the real reason that they were put on the ballot. Who is actually the mastermind behind them and why are they trying to bypass normal channels by going to a direct ballot measure? I'm always suspicious of those. After all why would you try and make a random group of base voters who are going to be uninformed about the given measure be the ones to decide if it's going to go ahead or not? The only reason to do it is if you were trying to get around someone and if you don't particularly value a well considered or well researched decision being made.

    I guess I'm not comfortable disclosing where exactly in the US I am, but I will say it's one of the purple states.

    Anyway, I am never in touch with local citizen lobby groups or political parties or anything like that, so my political priorities this year are kind of random and personal. I boil them down to 3:

    1.) Neutralize Donald Trump. Why? Because everything he does that could be argued to be a reasonable positive (for example, if you believe that deregulation is good for the economy which I suppose is a fairly common idea) would be done by any Republican president. However, Donald Trump carries with him some unique negatives. For the long term stability and cohesion of the United States it would be best if he were neutralized by a hostile congress. It should be demonstrated to the public that his approach doesn't pay off in the long run. Of course things could go either way. Per Fivethirtyeight.com, the Democrats have a 83.8% chance of taking the House, but only a 18.4% chance of taking the Senate. And as anyone who has played Battletech knows, it's very possible to miss an 83% shot. (People who angrily criticize polls as being inaccurate probably are just demonstrating they never played Battletech and don't really understand what percentages mean.)

    (It's also possible to make an 18.4% shot. What's hilarious is how when it comes to politics and polling no one thinks that is going to happen. But by definition it can.)

    (So in actuality one party might win one legislative body, both, or neither. That's what the polls are telling me right now.)

    So, for the House and Senate, I pretty much have to vote Democrat, even if I don't necessarily like the candidates. Last election I'd actually voted split ticket on the national level, but Donald Trump overrides that this time around.

    However, for my more local nuanced priorities, below, I am probably going to have to think about voting split ticket for the local offices.

    2.) Increase funding for public education. Where I am it's pretty bad. Every day kids are missing out their chance for a bright future if their parents can't afford private school. I believe that the teachers are working very hard. What's undermining them are certain mandates, but also simply a lack of resources. Classrooms hold 50 kids. Fixing mandates is hard and is best done with a sympathetic legislature to the public school system. In the immediate short run additional funding could hopefully improve the ratio of students to teachers. More than likely this would require Democrats in the state legislature. Republicans haven't yet figured out that hyper-accountability itself can be a detriment to operations and their baked in suspicion of efforts to promote the public good is tiresome.

    3.) Protect civilian ownership of military pattern rifles and promote open carry. Because "gun control" is an imperalist practice. It makes me sad that in spite of their idealistic Marxist rhetoric, many Democrats and leftists fail to see the hypocrisy of gun control inflicted upon rural cultures as a legislative initiative. Also, since I enjoy historical fencing, I want to be able to open carry a longsword eventually as a fashion accessory, so the laws would need to move strongly in the direction of unrestricted open carry. (I don't personally feel the need to carry around a firearm however; for me it's just about the sword at this time.) Obviously, in order to not have a total rout and collapse of 2nd amendment protections, there would have to be some Republicans voted in somewhere.


    So this is where I am hoping that you guys can help me out. For #2 and #3, above, I have to figure out where to try and stash Democrats and where to try and stash Republicans. Some of the offices up for vote include: secretary of state, state treasurer, state controller, state senate, state assembly, county clerk, county recorder, county treasurer, and public administrator. Which ones do you think would most likely relate to pumping more funding into public education, and which ones would be most likely to affect guns? There must be some smart people on here who know about state and county level governance.

    I'm not in touch with any local political groups so I'm not sure who else to ask about this stuff. Besides, if I ask someone who is partisan aligned on a local level, if they know I'm planning to vote, they might lie to me strategically to get me to simply vote the way they'd like me to vote instead of to support what I'd like to support.
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

  2. #2
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    5,207
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    3
    Seems a little easier than you are making it if you are voting on those two issues, primarily. Well, here where I am, it would be easy. Because education funding does come from the state, however most everything is handled at the county level. Teacher pay raises, policy on school class sizes, school zoning and all of that stuff is handled at the local level. So I wouldn't worry about those in the larger state elections. On those, I tend to listen to the teachers and who they like. I've got a few friends that are principles and a bunch of teachers that I know. So I ask them what the word in the trenches is.

    In larger elections I typically vote on 2nd amendment first. That has not excluded too many democrats until recently when they have decided to make pretty polarizing statements. For example Bill Nelson. He has been a pretty good Democratic representative for the state of Florida. In the past he has walked a pretty neutral line which has been good for us. But lately he has thrown in on anti gun regulations which will now push my vote away from him.

    If their gun stances are pretty neutral I normally look towards budget and state government funding after that. Mostly due to self preservation. Without revealing my actual job, I am a state employee but federally funded. So budget cuts don't effect me. But the states fiscal policies effect my retirement and insurance. Rick Scott has spent the last 8 years screwing me over. I never voted for him. I typically would chose a governor who funds state employees, public safety, and social services programs. So, you know which way that goes.

    That just how I'm normally wading through the swamps.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    24,890
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    So, I am getting ready to vote for the US November midterm elections. It is a depressing task because I have to go through the ballot book, look up all the local politicians many of whom seem to be trapped in the past (and they probably only get away with it because people mostly pay attention to the federal level only) and pick whomever would be least injurious to the future, and plus research all the direct voter ballot initiatives and basically try to find out what is the real reason that they were put on the ballot. Who is actually the mastermind behind them and why are they trying to bypass normal channels by going to a direct ballot measure? I'm always suspicious of those. After all why would you try and make a random group of base voters who are going to be uninformed about the given measure be the ones to decide if it's going to go ahead or not? The only reason to do it is if you were trying to get around someone and if you don't particularly value a well considered or well researched decision being made.

    I guess I'm not comfortable disclosing where exactly in the US I am, but I will say it's one of the purple states.

    Anyway, I am never in touch with local citizen lobby groups or political parties or anything like that, so my political priorities this year are kind of random and personal. I boil them down to 3:

    1.) Neutralize Donald Trump. Why? Because everything he does that could be argued to be a reasonable positive (for example, if you believe that deregulation is good for the economy which I suppose is a fairly common idea) would be done by any Republican president. However, Donald Trump carries with him some unique negatives. For the long term stability and cohesion of the United States it would be best if he were neutralized by a hostile congress. It should be demonstrated to the public that his approach doesn't pay off in the long run. Of course things could go either way. Per Fivethirtyeight.com, the Democrats have a 83.8% chance of taking the House, but only a 18.4% chance of taking the Senate. And as anyone who has played Battletech knows, it's very possible to miss an 83% shot. (People who angrily criticize polls as being inaccurate probably are just demonstrating they never played Battletech and don't really understand what percentages mean.)

    (It's also possible to make an 18.4% shot. What's hilarious is how when it comes to politics and polling no one thinks that is going to happen. But by definition it can.)

    (So in actuality one party might win one legislative body, both, or neither. That's what the polls are telling me right now.)

    So, for the House and Senate, I pretty much have to vote Democrat, even if I don't necessarily like the candidates. Last election I'd actually voted split ticket on the national level, but Donald Trump overrides that this time around.

    However, for my more local nuanced priorities, below, I am probably going to have to think about voting split ticket for the local offices.

    2.) Increase funding for public education. Where I am it's pretty bad. Every day kids are missing out their chance for a bright future if their parents can't afford private school. I believe that the teachers are working very hard. What's undermining them are certain mandates, but also simply a lack of resources. Classrooms hold 50 kids. Fixing mandates is hard and is best done with a sympathetic legislature to the public school system. In the immediate short run additional funding could hopefully improve the ratio of students to teachers. More than likely this would require Democrats in the state legislature. Republicans haven't yet figured out that hyper-accountability itself can be a detriment to operations and their baked in suspicion of efforts to promote the public good is tiresome.

    3.) Protect civilian ownership of military pattern rifles and promote open carry. Because "gun control" is an imperalist practice. It makes me sad that in spite of their idealistic Marxist rhetoric, many Democrats and leftists fail to see the hypocrisy of gun control inflicted upon rural cultures as a legislative initiative. Also, since I enjoy historical fencing, I want to be able to open carry a longsword eventually as a fashion accessory, so the laws would need to move strongly in the direction of unrestricted open carry. (I don't personally feel the need to carry around a firearm however; for me it's just about the sword at this time.) Obviously, in order to not have a total rout and collapse of 2nd amendment protections, there would have to be some Republicans voted in somewhere.


    So this is where I am hoping that you guys can help me out. For #2 and #3, above, I have to figure out where to try and stash Democrats and where to try and stash Republicans. Some of the offices up for vote include: secretary of state, state treasurer, state controller, state senate, state assembly, county clerk, county recorder, county treasurer, and public administrator. Which ones do you think would most likely relate to pumping more funding into public education, and which ones would be most likely to affect guns? There must be some smart people on here who know about state and county level governance.

    I'm not in touch with any local political groups so I'm not sure who else to ask about this stuff. Besides, if I ask someone who is partisan aligned on a local level, if they know I'm planning to vote, they might lie to me strategically to get me to simply vote the way they'd like me to vote instead of to support what I'd like to support.
    I'm doing my part and voting Feintstein out of office.

  4. #4
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,551
    Style
    judo hiatus
    4
    Feeling I must cast my vote for the Libertarian for Governor of OK. First time.

    The Republican is a, in my opinion, very shady character. The Democrat wants to take more of my money among other issues.

    Flashback to Ross Perot.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    3,168
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    5
    It's funnier when Democrats lose, and Republicans win.

    First, when Democrats lose, they engage in the most ridiculous and childish prolonged tantrums.

    The crying, and the yelling, and the carrying on.

    Calling everyone else racist, and sexist, and Nazi's and puppy killers.

    It's priceless.

    And, second, Republican politicians are soooo much easier and funnier for professional and amateur comedians to caricature and ridicule.

    Although Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders are giving the Republicans a run for the money on that note.

    And Dick Cheney isn't funny to ridicule because he actually came off as evil.

    As does Hillary Clinton.

    So neither Dick Cheney nor Hillary Clinton are fun nor really funny to ridicule.

    In fact, I have always wondered if they were not really same person wearing different people skins.

    You notice the two of them are never in the same place together.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 10/18/2018 7:41pm at .

  6. #6
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,551
    Style
    judo hiatus
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    It's funnier when Democrats lose, and Republicans win.

    First, when Democrats lose, they engage in the most ridiculous and childish prolonged tantrums.

    The crying, and the yelling, and the carrying on.

    Calling everyone else racist, and sexist, and Nazi's and puppy killers.

    It's priceless.

    And, second, Republican politicians are soooo much easier and funnier for professional and amateur comedians to caricature and ridicule.

    Although Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders are giving the Republicans a run for the money on that note.

    And Dick Cheney isn't funny to ridicule because he actually came off as evil.

    As does Hillary Clinton.

    So neither Dick Cheney nor Hillary Clinton are fun nor really funny to ridicule.

    In fact, I have always wondered if they were not really same person wearing different people skins.

    You notice the two of them are never in the same place together.
    Trying to picture Dick in a pantsuit. Hmmmmmm

  7. #7
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    22,187
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Trying to picture Dick in a pantsuit. Hmmmmmm
    Dammit Joe keep your sick fantasies to yourself...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #8
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,551
    Style
    judo hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Dammit Joe keep your sick fantasies to yourself...
    Threesome with Hillary and Janet Reno?

  9. #9
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    22,187
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Threesome with Hillary and Janet Reno?
    You might well be up for it, and Hillary might be up for it, but Janet ? I don't think so...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #10
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,551
    Style
    judo hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    You might well be up for it, and Hillary might be up for it, but Janet ? I don't think so...
    Eh, two years late. How time flies.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in