Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Shaolin self defense centers Long Island

What’s up guys? Not sure where to post this, figured it would wind up here anyway so I’m saving the mods some trouble. So on to my question...

I live in Suffolk County Ny, started looking into local schools to train at, we have a lot of schools on the island, some well known, some not well known. Anyway I enrolled my kid and myself in a local school under Master Thomas Ingargiola’s lineage and I’m just wondering if anyone else here has trained at one of his Kempo schools on the island and what your thoughts are on the quality of the instruction?

I have prior experience in BJJ and Muay Thai from when I was younger. At my new school we spar full contact frequently and have grappling class once a week. My Instructor really seems to be very good at standup and very good at grappling. I’m 3 months into my journey and on one hand I like the sparring and grappling, yet on the other I don’t really like spending time learning forms and pinions.

I know Ingargiola is connected to Prof. Nick Cerio and Kimo Feliciano Ferreira. I also know that he was connected to great super grand master Fred Villari, but broke away from his schools long ago in the 90’s I believe.
    Last edited by Shaolo; 10/15/2018 11:16am at .

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Well I think your first post is just about perfect. I have nothing to add tho ...

Welcome to the Forum and have a great Kempo day.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolo View Post
    What’s up guys? Not sure where to post this, figured it would wind up here anyway so I’m saving the mods some trouble. So on to my question...

I live in Suffolk County Ny, started looking into local schools to train at, we have a lot of schools on the island, some well known, some not well known. Anyway I enrolled my kid and myself in a local school under Master Thomas Ingargiola’s lineage and I’m just wondering if anyone else here has trained at one of his Kempo schools on the island and what your thoughts are on the quality of the instruction?

I have prior experience in BJJ and Muay Thai from when I was younger. At my new school we spar full contact frequently and have grappling class once a week. My Instructor really seems to be very good at standup and very good at grappling. I’m 3 months into my journey and on one hand I like the sparring and grappling, yet on the other I don’t really like spending time learning forms and pinions.

I know Ingargiola is connected to Prof. Nick Cerio and Kimo Feliciano Ferreira. I also know that he was connected to great super grand master Fred Villari, but broke away from his schools long ago in the 90’s I believe.
    Why would you choose kenpo over BJJ and muay thai ?

Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Why would you choose kenpo over BJJ and muay thai ?
    2 reasons.

1- my instructor is overseas, used to be an army ranger. Now he’s a private security guy and never really in NY anymore.
    2- after watching the kids classes, they basically do a 50/50 mix of Kempo and boxing/kickboxing/Muay Thai. I have a pretty good ground skill set and it’s fun.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle

So, what exactly are you wanting? If you want to train grappling without forms, BJJ. If you want to train striking without forms, Boxing or kickboxing. You are doing Kempo, so that's what you get, a blend of striking and grappling with forms and cool uniforms. It is what it is.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Oh and I have a 3rd reason
    3- work schedule conflicts with most of the local BJJ schools.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    2 reasons.

1- my instructor is overseas, used to be an army ranger. Now he’s a private security guy and never really in NY anymore.
    2- after watching the kids classes, they basically do a 50/50 mix of Kempo and boxing/kickboxing/Muay Thai. I have a pretty good ground skill set and it’s fun.
    You mean your BJJ instructor? How long did you train in BJJ?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    So, what exactly are you wanting? If you want to train grappling without forms, BJJ. If you want to train striking without forms, Boxing or kickboxing. You are doing Kempo, so that's what you get, a blend of striking and grappling with forms and cool uniforms. It is what it is.
    I’m wanting basically to know if anyone here has spent any time at one of Tom Ingargiolas schools. Just wanting first hand opinions really. He is a legit kick boxer with a very good record. I got involved for the standup.

Yes, my Bjj/Muay Thai instructor is over seas and isn’t available to train with anymore which sucks.

I trained in BJJ/Muay Thai for 3 years. My instructor was a brown belt in BJJ so I only hold a white belt, but I don’t train for rank recognition. I was in it for fun, fitness and the challenge of tapping out classmates haha.
    Last edited by Shaolo; 10/15/2018 12:48pm at .

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    I’m wanting basically to know if anyone here has spent any time at one of Tom Ingargiolas schools. Just wanting first hand opinions really. He is a legit kick boxer with a very good record. I got involved for the standup.
    Oh, OK. Gotcha. We have a few people from that area that train so I'm sure someone will chime in eventually. But as long as you are training and getting your kid into it, I'm sure you are good to go.

Enjoy and feel free to chime in and comment on your training from time to time. Maybe one day in the future, you will be the one to answer someone else's question about the same place.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Page 1 of 2 12 Last