Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    cultural appropriation

general Jitsu Foundation question relating to Judo

Ok, so Im back training now, and theres a lot of opportunity to grapple in my area, but I found theres a Jitsu foundation club nearby that apparently compete in grappling events as well as do their non-Judo stuff. Im not fully aware of the Jitsu foundations origins as all I can find is that its Jujitsu with no identified style (such as say, Kito Ryu, Yoshin Ryu etc) and that there is a strong judo influence on top of that. From what I can see the bulk of the throws are straight from Judo, so Im entertaining the debate of if there's any use in rocking up to their place, as they train weekends when none of my other classes are on. It'd be another two hours on my week covering Judo related material. I can see a little bit of weaponry work in their demos but otherwise it looks like its Just the stand up aspects of Judo.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Is there a question here?

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Is there a question here?
    Ok to put it in a different way.

1. Do we know what Jujitsu lineage it is that makes up the jitsu foundations curriculum? Because whenever I search its just 'jujitsu'

2. If there is indeed a Judo influence on the art, could a judo-ka use that as extra practice on days where there is no judo to train?

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Ok to put it in a different way.

1. Do we know what Jujitsu lineage it is that makes up the jitsu foundations curriculum? Because whenever I search its just 'jujitsu'

2. If there is indeed a Judo influence on the art, could a judo-ka use that as extra practice on days where there is no judo to train?
    Travis Stevens basically won an Olympic silver medal with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Kayla Harris won a gold medal with basically Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Style
    Jits

Style
    Ex-Karate
    There was a thread on the Jutsu Foundation a while ago on here

https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...tsu+foundation

Didn't look too good

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post

Didn't look too good
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophist View Post
    Don't.

I used to train with the TJF under one of their higher-ranked dans, spent a year or so in the art. There's a hell of a lot of one-step sparring... and that's about it. Groundwork sparring came along occasionally, standing randori once in a blue moon, both less frequently than solo kata. Their faults are legion.

Techniques are to be performed in the prescribed manner whether they work for you or not; adapting them to your body shape is frowned upon. This would impede getting them to work on a resisting opponent, but fortunately in the TJF opponents are compliant or semi-compliant.

They focus increasingly at higher levels on weapons defences, which sounds good until you realise that this is highly compliant stuff that relies on wristlocks and standing armlocks. You will see the dreaded crossed wrists block taught as a standard defence.

Using strength is frowned upon, it's all supposed to be technique. This again sounds fine in principle, but in practice it means that they come to rely on the momentum of their uke's huge punches - the ukes have to take their own balance to be thrown. They attempt to do ippon seoi nage without straightening their legs, for instance, and tai-otoshi by steering their uke's roundhouse punch momentum instead of using upper body strength. People who don't throw wild haymakers are hard for them to deal with, and even people who do may fox them by the simple expedient of drawing their hand back after punching.

A year of learning to throw with TJF was insufficient to allow me to throw raw novices when I went along to judo. This was with probably some of the most high-percentage techniques I'd been taught, as the wristlocks and standing armlocks would be very much more difficult to get on someone resisting.

Oh yeah, and one size fits all - if for example you're a lanky git you'll still have to spend a lot of time working on small man throws like ippon seoi nage, and you'll very rarely get to choose what you can work on.

Many more issues exist, but I'm out of time.

Do judo.
    No, It doesnt look good.

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post

Didn't look too good
    while you guys responded and I was in the gym, I found this from the club in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Lrx5Kp2Ak1U

What the honest **** does this art have to do with 'Shorinji' if its basically judo with half-way aikido level of resistance?

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Found their grading syllabus online they mention randori in their requirements.... I think Im going to have to see for myself what they mean by randori, will report back

Style
    Ex-Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Found their grading syllabus online they mention randori in their requirements.... I think Im going to have to see for myself what they mean by randori, will report back
    Be interested to get an update as the last thread on them was over 10 years ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last