Page 25 of 26 First ... 15212223242526 Last
  1. #241
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    26,784
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Guys, guys, guys, it's only Trump whose speech, behavior, policy, inflames people to do illegal things.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #242
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    18,279
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Guys, guys, guys, it's only Trump whose speech, behavior, policy, inflames people to do illegal things.
    He is just having the biggest effect because he is the one in a the position of authority and with the biggest megaphone and the least desire to not inflame and incite.

    Of course anyone with a podium and audience who panders to the insane, deluded, gullible, ignorant (uneducated) and unstable will have a negative effect.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    "Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

  3. #243
    doofaloofa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wesht Cark
    Posts
    2,022
    Style
    Boxing
    Billy Bush made him do it

  4. #244
    Joe "I should not comment on Anthony Weiner" Biden staff
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    11,129
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Report: we investigated the **** out of Kavanaugh, came up with nothing, but we still think he's guilty (or at least liable):

    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...anaugh/598159/

  5. #245
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,398
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Report: we investigated the **** out of Kavanaugh, came up with nothing, but we still think he's guilty (or at least liable):

    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...anaugh/598159/
    I read the article and felt the authors were genuine. I appreciated that, though not enough to buy the book. Their conclusion had me howling though. 10 months of soul searching and investigation of one man yielded the conclusion that people make mistakes and learn from them to become better people. And that thanks to the example set by the courts, it is probably wrong to hold people responsible for their actions as juveniles. They didn't quite say that judging history through the lens of modern morals and ethics is wrong, but they almost got there.

    Reality now mirrors the plot structure of a typical South Park episode.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

  6. #246
    Joe "I should not comment on Anthony Weiner" Biden staff
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    11,129
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    I read the article and felt the authors were genuine. I appreciated that, though not enough to buy the book. Their conclusion had me howling though. 10 months of soul searching and investigation of one man yielded the conclusion that people make mistakes and learn from them to become better people. And that thanks to the example set by the courts, it is probably wrong to hold people responsible for their actions as juveniles. They didn't quite say that judging history through the lens of modern morals and ethics is wrong, but they almost got there.

    Reality now mirrors the plot structure of a typical South Park episode.
    Solid read, no disagreement. Glad you mentioned the book, too, because I do believe all this noise is purposefully designed to promote it.

    But... that's where I get a bit jittery. I don't know the particulars of their investigative methods, outside of what they shared. At some point, should they have noticed they were on a witch hunt, and not doing "real," investigative journalism? Isn't that part of learning from your mistakes?

    It will be interesting to see if these reporters tackle similar cases, going forward. In fact, I am salivating for their next 10-month deep dive, and simultaneously hoping it never comes.

    Nobody gives a **** about the asshole Justice that just had his entire life and legacy maligned based on an accusation which, while not demonstrably untrue, lacks any evidence to support it, beyond the frayed memories of a few drunk teens, as well as the timeliness to have accomplished any sort of recourse in a legal fashion. That is a travesty, and unfortunately is also the price he pays for being in his position of power.

  7. #247
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,599
    Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    I’ve had a few friends who have been sexually assaulted. As such, I have a tendency to believe the woman in these cases.

    Along with the article, Kavanaugh has a history of hiring female clerks. None of them have ever reported any inappropriate behavior on his part, only that he advanced their careers.

    Having your own personal biases exposed is not pleasant, but is ultimately a good thing.

  8. #248

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    6,974
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Ive had a few friends who have been sexually assaulted. As such, I have a tendency to believe the woman in these cases.
    No means no, JNP.

  9. #249
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8,318
    Style
    decrepit mouth boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Ive had a few friends who have been sexually assaulted. As such, I have a tendency to believe the woman in these cases.

    Along with the article, Kavanaugh has a history of hiring female clerks. None of them have ever reported any inappropriate behavior on his part, only that he advanced their careers.

    Having your own personal biases exposed is not pleasant, but is ultimately a good thing.
    I watched the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings. Not the news bites. The hearings. Kavanaugh was deja vu, only uglier.

  10. #250
    Joe "I should not comment on Anthony Weiner" Biden staff
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    11,129
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    No means no, JNP.
    Don't troll. There are plenty of good reasons to hire females for entry-level work. For example, females tend to be more task-oriented than their male counterparts. Also there's more of them in the pool (not):
    https://hceconomics.uchicago.edu/sit..._finet2012.pdf

    Oh, and they make less, and have higher turnover (not)
    https://www.clevelandfed.org/en/news...tatistics.aspx


    Kavanaugh may in fact be a sexual predator. Or, a reformed "sexual predator," that is now a decent-ish guy. With Kavanaugh, the left wants us to believe that it's cool to transition from cis-gender to alphabet, but it's impossible for a teenager to overcome his pubescent hormones, because of his political affiliation.

Page 25 of 26 First ... 15212223242526 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in