1. #1
    kimjonghng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,332
    Style
    cultural appropriation

    Question regarding grappling

    Ok so Im getting back on the mat this week and I have some things to think about. My main club offers an open mat BJJ night for Gi and No Gi, on the same nights my Judo class teaches. My main club has another night that has MMA grappling that doesnt conflict my Judo training. Im wondering which would be more beneficial to me, BJJ or MMa grappling? I do want to keep Judo if possible to be the focus, but I might do alternating nights on some weeks where I do 1 BJJ, 1 Judo as an idea.

    MMA grappling comes from the coaches experience in MMA and BJJ, so I suspect it would predominatly be no-gi with ground and pound included?

  2. #2
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    7,220
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Ok so Im getting back on the mat this week and I have some things to think about. My main club offers an open mat BJJ night for Gi and No Gi, on the same nights my Judo class teaches. My main club has another night that has MMA grappling that doesnt conflict my Judo training. Im wondering which would be more beneficial to me, BJJ or MMa grappling? I do want to keep Judo if possible to be the focus, but I might do alternating nights on some weeks where I do 1 BJJ, 1 Judo as an idea.

    MMA grappling comes from the coaches experience in MMA and BJJ, so I suspect it would predominatly be no-gi with ground and pound included?
    Do both.

  3. #3
    kimjonghng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,332
    Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Do both.
    My week of training would look something like this

    Monday: Judo or BJJ

    Wednesday: Judo or BJJ

    Thursday: Karate, then MMA

    I think that should be decent right?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,758
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    My week of training would look something like this

    Monday: Judo or BJJ

    Wednesday: Judo or BJJ

    Thursday: Karate, then MMA

    I think that should be decent right?
    This is what goes through my head everytime someone asks me this kind of question:

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy, Evil Me
    In order to improve like I would like you to, I am going to need to see you training twice a day, five or six times a week, and we need to get you with a qualified outside strength coach, and a nutritionist every week however often they say you need to meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reasonable, Mature, Sane Me
    Wait, wait, you're doing it again. This is a recreational player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy, Evil Me
    Yeah, but if they only practice throws once a week, groundwork once a week, and hitting people once a week, they will never progress in any of those disciplines...that is a maintenance schedule to avoid further degradation of skills, not improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reasonable, Mature, Sane Me
    It will be fine. They will learn something every class. They are keeping fit and getting off the couch. This approach will allow them to spend time on other pursuits outside of martial arts so they are well rounded human beings who meet their adult responsibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy, Evil Me
    But, but, but....
    Quote Originally Posted by Reasonable, Mature, Sane Me
    Get back into your hole, Mr. "Everything I do, I take to Extreme and Ridiculous Levels".
    This is why your wife makes fun of you and wants to kill you sometimes.
    And...she is right.

  5. #5
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,349
    Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    My week of training would look something like this

    Monday: Judo or BJJ

    Wednesday: Judo or BJJ

    Thursday: Karate, then MMA

    I think that should be decent right?
    In which one are you planning to become good at?
    Last edited by DCS; 10/06/2018 2:35pm at .

  6. #6
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    7,220
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    My week of training would look something like this

    Monday: Judo or BJJ

    Wednesday: Judo or BJJ

    Thursday: Karate, then MMA

    I think that should be decent right?
    What are you doing the other 4 days a week?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    796
    Style
    Bjj
    1
    Im going to say bjj because of the gi and the ground game will be a good add on to your judo. I havnt done grappling for mma but 2 purple belts that were at other gyms did. Their experience was alot of injuries because alot of energetic mma guys would roll like spazzes trying to get any submission possible. They werent bjj guys so the etiquette or whatever wasnt there. However for fight/self defence knowledge its great. But two guys were at big gyms where the mats had like 40 people on them so you wouldnt know everyone or get to roll with everyone. If your gym is smaller than your experience will probably be better.

  8. #8
    Sovvolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    578
    Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    This is what goes through my head everytime someone asks me this kind of question:

    In order to improve like I would like you to, I am going to need to see you training twice a day, five or six times a week, and we need to get you with a qualified outside strength coach, and a nutritionist every week however often they say you need to meet.
    Looking at something like this and with a wife, kids and a full time 50 - 60 hour job I I'd love to know how people can make that time without facing a divorce. I can just about make it to two lessons a day for 5 or 6 days a week where my wife begrudgingly trolerates it. Though much more than that and I think I'd be packing up.
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in