Style
    cultural appropriation

Question regarding grappling

Ok so Im getting back on the mat this week and I have some things to think about. My main club offers an open mat BJJ night for Gi and No Gi, on the same nights my Judo class teaches. My main club has another night that has MMA grappling that doesnt conflict my Judo training. Im wondering which would be more beneficial to me, BJJ or MMa grappling? I do want to keep Judo if possible to be the focus, but I might do alternating nights on some weeks where I do 1 BJJ, 1 Judo as an idea.

MMA grappling comes from the coaches experience in MMA and BJJ, so I suspect it would predominatly be no-gi with ground and pound included?

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Ok so Im getting back on the mat this week and I have some things to think about. My main club offers an open mat BJJ night for Gi and No Gi, on the same nights my Judo class teaches. My main club has another night that has MMA grappling that doesnt conflict my Judo training. Im wondering which would be more beneficial to me, BJJ or MMa grappling? I do want to keep Judo if possible to be the focus, but I might do alternating nights on some weeks where I do 1 BJJ, 1 Judo as an idea.

MMA grappling comes from the coaches experience in MMA and BJJ, so I suspect it would predominatly be no-gi with ground and pound included?
    Do both.

Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Do both.
    My week of training would look something like this

Monday: Judo or BJJ

Wednesday: Judo or BJJ

Thursday: Karate, then MMA

I think that should be decent right?

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling

This is what goes through my head everytime someone asks me this kind of question:

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy, Evil Me
    In order to improve like I would like you to, I am going to need to see you training twice a day, five or six times a week, and we need to get you with a qualified outside strength coach, and a nutritionist every week however often they say you need to meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reasonable, Mature, Sane Me
    Wait, wait, you're doing it again. This is a recreational player.
    Yeah, but if they only practice throws once a week, groundwork once a week, and hitting people once a week, they will never progress in any of those disciplines...that is a maintenance schedule to avoid further degradation of skills, not improvement.
    It will be fine. They will learn something every class. They are keeping fit and getting off the couch. This approach will allow them to spend time on other pursuits outside of martial arts so they are well rounded human beings who meet their adult responsibilities.
    But, but, but....
    Get back into your hole, Mr. "Everything I do, I take to Extreme and Ridiculous Levels".
    This is why your wife makes fun of you and wants to kill you sometimes.
    And...she is right.

Style
    Jits

In which one are you planning to become good at?
    Last edited by DCS; 10/06/2018 2:35pm at .

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu

What are you doing the other 4 days a week?

Style
    Bjj
    Im going to say bjj because of the gi and the ground game will be a good add on to your judo. I havnt done grappling for mma but 2 purple belts that were at other gyms did. Their experience was alot of injuries because alot of energetic mma guys would roll like spazzes trying to get any submission possible. They werent bjj guys so the etiquette or whatever wasnt there. However for fight/self defence knowledge its great. But two guys were at big gyms where the mats had like 40 people on them so you wouldnt know everyone or get to roll with everyone. If your gym is smaller than your experience will probably be better.

Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    This is what goes through my head everytime someone asks me this kind of question:

In order to improve like I would like you to, I am going to need to see you training twice a day, five or six times a week, and we need to get you with a qualified outside strength coach, and a nutritionist every week however often they say you need to meet.
    Looking at something like this and with a wife, kids and a full time 50 - 60 hour job I I'd love to know how people can make that time without facing a divorce. I can just about make it to two lessons a day for 5 or 6 days a week where my wife begrudgingly trolerates it. Though much more than that and I think I'd be packing up.
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit