FOG How to being?

F old guy. Dabbled in half a dozen different combative sports over the years. Never committed to any of them.
    At this point if I had to defend myself I would probably fall down before I got hit.

On to questions and current day... If my intention is to learn to be effective in a fight, rather than in sport, what is going
    to be the best bang for the buck in terms of hours and effort. I have no real interest in a belt structure or gi training.

I assume; strength, endurance, being desensitized to being hit or grabbed, and being prepared to strike are key elements
    but/and what will get me farthest/fastest in the first year of combatives training? Boxing? Jui-Jitsu? Kick-Boxing? Skip the sport schools and find a mean old man school?

Thanks,
    R

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Martial arts evolved into sports in order to allow its participants to refine their techniques to a greater degree. In other words, “sport” has made them better, not worse.

There is no quick route to learning how to fight. Those telling you otherwise are selling something. Others that are quickly successful right off the bat are usually very athletic rather than skilled.

Whatever you do, sparring is the common link. Whatever style you pursue just be sure you spar. This is usually part of the class for bjj, judo, etc but is often a separate class for things like boxing and Muay Thai.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Combative sports sharpens the tools.
    Realistic Simulations martial arts sharpens perception.

(Call me grasshopper)

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post
    F old guy. Dabbled in half a dozen different combative sports over the years. Never committed to any of them.
    At this point if I had to defend myself I would probably fall down before I got hit.

On to questions and current day... If my intention is to learn to be effective in a fight, rather than in sport, what is going
    to be the best bang for the buck in terms of hours and effort. I have no real interest in a belt structure or gi training.

I assume; strength, endurance, being desensitized to being hit or grabbed, and being prepared to strike are key elements
    but/and what will get me farthest/fastest in the first year of combatives training? Boxing? Jui-Jitsu? Kick-Boxing? Skip the sport schools and find a mean old man school?

Thanks,
    R
    Combat sambo is arguably the most complete package. You'd progress farther in a year by focusing on one range, so boxing, some flavor of kickboxing, or judo. BJJ is probably my favorite art, but its concentration on groundfighting means I'd favor the ones I mentioned to impart an ability to quickly create space, or put an attacker on the ground, to facilitate your escape.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Style
    Boxing
    Hi Robert

I'm in a similar situation to you, except SVELTE! obviously

Try boxing

It has such a narrow skill set that becoming relatively proficient can occur in a relatively short time

However my advice would be to train to become good at boxing rather than for self defence

If a self defence situation arises, box your way out of it

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post

Thanks,
    R
    It depends on what is available in your area. I agree that boxing or kickboxing would get you where you need to be if there is any available. I'm going to throw my personal bias in here which would be FMA. I have found that full contact stick fighting is really good for learning ranges, foot work, and weapons. The transition from stick work to empty hands is really easy. All of the above will get you in good shape which is a bigger part of the equation than the fighting since their is a higher risk of death from obesity and heart disease than assault.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.