Page 5 of 5 First 12345
    Style
    Mixed
    This thread should be moved to the CMA forum. Both of these schools look like legitimate Songshan instructors, but these are schools for PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT, not learning how to fight.

Learning how to fight with Shaolin kung fu requires a lot of fighting. At these schools, you'll learn more foundations and your own physical limitations.

The real benefit (or secret depending on who you ask) from Chinese systems is the concept of using various exercises for building graceful strength. In the Shaolin tradition, daily exercise is very important for meditative purposes.

Keep in mind there is a growing number of kids who have grown up after spending considerable time at the temple in China, move to places like CA to open up Shaolin themed schools. They aren't bullshido necessarily, they are just teaching their traditions.

OP: My suggestion is to do with Roy Nelson did. There's your flight path. Grace, strength, and a long fist.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/10/2018 2:30pm at .

Style
    Mixed
    Also remember Sanda the 20th century creation takes its name from the historical san da/san shou, which means sparring of any kind (style or no style).

I mean, guys in China fist fight like anyone else. The rise of empty hand styles over the last few centuries only is what prompted the Nationalist government to eventually re-evaluate "styles" in the early 20th, and formally define what "san da" required.

From there you get sport sanda as well as military, which was already pointed out needed to learn and incorporate extra-Chinese styles, particularly Russian ones since they are allies.

Style
    BSL; Sanda; Kendo
    W. Rabbit is right. Maybe this should be in the CMA forum. I came across this thread by chance.

To OP: Neutrino, trust me, I used to think like you. There's absolutely no problem in training both traditional CMA and combat sports like Sanda, and other arts like JMA etc. You must have realized by now that people here value cross-training really much. We can learn a lot from that. Believe me: I used to be the Tai Chi guy who thought it was enough to learn just that. I'm lucky my teachers thought otherwise and encouraged me to take on hard styles, Sanda and Shuai Jiao. What we see in Sanda nowadays looks a lot like Muay Thai and kickboxing, huh? Guess what, you can find most of the moves in classical Chinese martial arts. Once I've had the opportunity to train with one of my country's top Sanda coaches, my mind changed completely on this matter. With Sanda, as well as with MT, boxing etc, you learn fighting strategies that can help defeat opponents bigger, less skilful than you. So, Sanda is a sport and looks like MT? whatever. It's kungfu too. And they look a lot like each other now because Martial Arts evolve to employ what really works.

tl;dr Sanda doesn't taint kungfu in any way. If you have a good teacher you'll actually understand MORE about traditional kungfu than guys who are "too good to care about combat sports". Trust me, you won't regret it.

Style
    BSL; Sanda; Kendo
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    OP: My suggestion is to do with Roy Nelson did. There's your flight path. Grace, strength, and a long fist.

It was not long ago when somebody told me Roy Nelson actually practiced CMA. Can you guys confirm if he ever did Northern Shaolin? I love how many of his knockouts are done with a combination of upward and downward strikes similar to a movement in BSL #4 called "meteor punch". Despite the anime-like name, the movement is a nice combination of a downward block followed by a swing and uppercut to the head.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Soim View Post
    It was not long ago when somebody told me Roy Nelson actually practiced CMA. Can you guys confirm if he ever did Northern Shaolin? I love how many of his knockouts are done with a combination of upward and downward strikes similar to a movement in BSL #4 called "meteor punch". Despite the anime-like name, the movement is a nice combination of a downward block followed by a swing and uppercut to the head.

All I've ever heard him say way Shaolin Kung Fu of which he was a black sash. And when I say "heard", I mean with my own ears when I met him when he was in town for an MMA fight. I also rolled with him for a little bit. He's a cool guy.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    All I've ever heard him say way Shaolin Kung Fu of which he was a black sash. And when I say "heard", I mean with my own ears when I met him when he was in town for an MMA fight. I also rolled with him for a little bit. He's a cool guy.
    His striking really picked up after he read that Dragon Scroll.

Style
    Mixed

The Golden Bell: The Secret to Roy Nelson's Iron Chin
    http://fightland.vice.com/blog/the-g...sons-iron-chin

Style
    Mixed
    Can you guys confirm if he ever did Northern Shaolin? I love how many of his knockouts are done with a combination of upward and downward strikes similar to a movement in BSL #4 called "meteor punch". Despite the anime-like name, the movement is a nice combination of a downward block followed by a swing and uppercut to the head.
    "my whole lineage came from, from Praying Mantis and Northern Shaolin. My master was a school brother of Kam Yun, Douglas Wong was a school brother of Kam Yuen. David Carradine was a school brother. They all went different routes.”

Importantly, he credits jujutsu on the ground. I understand that to be jiujitsu.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/12/2018 9:59pm at .

Style
    BSL; Sanda; Kendo
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Importantly, he credits jujutsu on the ground. I understand that to be jiujitsu.
    I hope you're right. I've seen some really weird stuff being called jujutsu that don't really look much like jiujitsu.

Style
    Mixed
    I hope you're right. I've seen some really weird stuff being called jujutsu that don't really look much like jiujitsu.
    Roy's old BJJ comp videos are cool. Watching someone master their size like that...yeah Kung Fu Panda is right.

Page 5 of 5 First 12345