Lee Family Internal Arts - Keith Ewers

Hi guys,

I've long been interested in studying Chinese martial arts. Unfortunately, my neck of the woods in South East Wales, UK, is a bit of a barren wasteland for this.

Arguably the only source of legitimate Chinese martial arts where I live is the Lee Family Internal Arts Association (LFIAA) run by Laoshi Keith Ewers.

Keith Ewers himself has his own YouTube channel, which you can find with a quick search, along with a Facebook page. (Sorry about the lack of links - I don't have enough credits to do so yet).

I'd be interested in finding out if anyone has any knowledge about the LFIAA and Laoshi Ewers.

Lee Family Internal Arts - Keith Ewers

Hi guys,

I've long been interested in studying Chinese martial arts. Unfortunately, my neck of the woods in South East Wales, UK, is a bit of a barren wasteland for this.

Arguably the only source of legitimate Chinese martial arts where I live is the Lee Family Internal Arts Association (LFIAA) run by Laoshi Keith Ewers.

Keith Ewers himself has his own YouTube channel, which you can find with a quick search, along with a Facebook page. (Sorry about the lack of links - I don't have enough credits to do so yet).

I'd be interested in finding out if anyone has any knowledge about the LFIAA and Laoshi Ewers.

*Note to admins - I did post this thread in the Chinese martial arts forum originally, only to later decide that I'd have been better served posting it here. Apologies for the duplicate thread.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    CMA & MABS ---------> YMAS

MABS is not for requests for information but for presentation of researched materials.
    Nice topic tho.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Whoops

My bad, utter noob I am.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurpint View Post
    My bad, utter noob I am.
    It’s okay to be a noob. I’ve been here for years and I’m still a noob...

Not as much of one, however, to be absolutely sure you don’t want to learn anything from this guy...

https://youtu.be/UjclmZw8Tmk

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    I believe they were taught by Dr. Master Kreiger.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurpint View Post
    My bad, utter noob I am.
    Not an issue. Welcome to the site. Grow a thick skin and jump on into the deep end.

Is there no boxing or judo available to you? Seriously, you'd be better off.

I'm hoping that some of the CMA folk will join the conversation.

May I ask? What are your goals or aspirations for taking up a martial art / sport?
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 8/03/2018 10:06pm at .

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    Elaborating on why HungryJoe inquired about your reasons for learning martial arts, the linked video posted indicates you will not be learning effective fighting skills. Striking fundamentals were conspicuously absent.

If you want to learn Chinese Martial Arts for cultural reasons, go for it. If you have any interest in learning how to conduct yourself in an physical altercation, you should look elsewhere.

Style
    Koryu
    Never done CMA but the tracher moves poorly, technique isn't sound. Students do everything half assed. No striking skills learned.

Do llap Goch instead. You'd be better off

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    I have a few problems with what is shown in the videos. First of all, they show some compliant form sparing. Their balance was off in the kicks and they were all doing it incorrectly. Which means they were not taught the correct way to do it.

There is a video of them doing Shuai Jiao. Looks like they are basically combining the beginning of Tai Chi push hands and then stepping through for a takedown. Now, there is a way to do that in Tai Chi, which they are not doing. But it is closer to Tai Chi than Shuai Jiao. Shuai Jiao, which is hard to find good instruction is typically done with a jacket on and looks basically like Judo, Sambo, or wrestling. The good ones do, anyways. And the bad ones should be avoided.

They also threw in a bunch of ground fighting videos. Having done kung fu and legit ground fighting (GJJ, BJJ) and you are going to want to avoid all of their ground fighting stuff. Skip those classes, they will get you hurt. There are better qualified people than me to comment on those around here. But especially their kicking from the ground stuff. I've trained this in MMA and law enforcement DT. I know what they are trying to do, but they aren't doing it correctly.

His website says he is doing Yang style Tai Chi. Now, there are tons of variations in how to do Tai Chi. Looking at his videos, he is doing the mechanics correctly but his postures are different than the way I have been taught or have seen most people doing some of them. Mainly the transitions to get from one posture to the next. That's not to say it's wrong, just different than I have seen. But his site says he also does Sun style Bagua, so maybe his Tai Chi has Sun influence and he is combining some of those in with the Yang style.

I see some Xingyi forms on there. The forms look good and that they are performed as usual. I saw some linear pair sparring, which may be in his xingyi but the kicks were done differently and didn't actually looks like real sparring. I didn't see anything that looked like xingyi sparring.

His Bagua forms look pretty standard. There are some videos of one of his students doing some of them and they looked pretty rigid but I think that he was trying a little too hard to look legit. Needed to relax a little. His video of circle walking and transitions looked fine. Once again no Bagua sparring to be seen.

Basically in summary, if you are wanting to learn some Kung Fu forms, this is as good a place to go as anywhere. If you want to wear cool silk pajamas and sash with some feiyue kungfu shoes, it's a good place to go. However, if you are wanting to learn to fight, you are going to have to go somewhere else to learn that. Some kungfu schools have good SanDa competitors, I don't see evidence of that here. Once you transition from forms into sparring, your sparring should look like kickboxing. Arguably, the better way is to just go train kickboxing. If learning to fight is a goal. Then go train this stuff after you are a competent fighter. But like I said, if the forms are your goal and chilling out with people into that stuff, you will probably find what you are looking for.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.