Page 15 of 15 First ... 51112131415
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NittyRanks View Post
    Funny I did seminars, with Nick Depopolo, Nick Triton, Kayla and Travis. Other than Kayla last year no one mentioned Ne-Waza. I realize the value of it but throws seem to be what the majority of Dojo's I have visited concentrate on. My instructor wants us to be about 50/50 in stand up and mat work. The BJJ guys and MA guys in our club will not get into Judo majority of the time, it takes to long to get good at it and probably is boring for them. BJJ is evolving more then Judo for sure but most Judo players I have met in different cities aren't concerned about it. I have only competed in three states and in older guys divisions but the talk is always Judo.
    Well, in Judo you start standing up, and the bias IS towards throwing. And most people suck so bad at throwing and all the prep that goes into it, it's best to start with throwing. Plus, presenters usually ask ahead of time what the desired focus will be.

If you (general you) are losing because you always get outgripped, then you need to stop getting outgripped. If you can't throw because you can't or don't know how to make a decent grip, then you gotta learn to get a decent grip first.

If you move like a pregnant Yak, you have to learn to move better, or you won't throw anybody but yourself. Same for posture, etc.

I'm a low-mid-level coach at best in the vast world of Judo, but that's what I see when I see most non-elite people doing Judo.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Kese Getame isn't that stable of a position is it? I know a few escapes/sweeps. It was never that stable in wrestling, you pretty much had to switch to something else for a pin. In BJJ where there are no pins it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense either.
    It'll work if you are good at, like everything else. In any case, you have to have plan A,B,C. It is natural from throwing, especially with a jacket on, but not the only way to transition for sure.

Kuzure Kesa Gatame is better, especially no-gi, as you have the underhook and can protect your back better.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    So, I'll stop here with the belly down pin thingie.

I didn't want to imply that anybody here was disrespecting me when I used the word "moron", nor I am offended in any way.

With regards to my grappling skills, I have some years of experience, but it's amateur experience, plus I'm quite bad at sports in general, so I have no problem to admit that my judo skills are subpar, and certainly relative to the average level and experience of people here.

I wouldn't say that I know nothing of grappling, so I think that some of the comments here are a bit of an exaggeration, but then of course it all depends on the baseline level to which I'm compared.

Cheers to all, I'll be back pestering you on some other thread!
    [or perhaps on this same thread if the argument drifts away]

PS: to BKR, I didn't do those specific exercises, but I get to more or less the same position by lifting uke from the belt and then putting the ankles in.
    That's how I usually do it, although my busted up toes don't like it.

Page 15 of 15 First ... 51112131415