Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    842
    Style
    Bjj
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Yeah but don't the heavier gloves offer up padding that acts a bit like a shock absorber causing negative acceleration at the end?
    That negative acceleration is why helmets were removed from boxing in the rio olympics. It was proven that concussions were more common with helmets. Its like a making noise underwater it travels slower and sounds (if not IS) louder.

    The hand wraps thing im not sure about. I used to wear them for the same reason many others did and that was to keep my wrist stiffer. Not sure if it has any other benefits if you plan on wearing a glove over a wrapped hand.

  2. #52
    Sovvolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    585
    Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    That negative acceleration is why helmets were removed from boxing in the rio olympics. It was proven that concussions were more common with helmets. Its like a making noise underwater it travels slower and sounds (if not IS) louder.

    The hand wraps thing im not sure about. I used to wear them for the same reason many others did and that was to keep my wrist stiffer. Not sure if it has any other benefits if you plan on wearing a glove over a wrapped hand.
    I got them ready done hand wrap glove things. Because I'm lazy. I've only worn a headgaurd once during a friendly spar with another kickboxer I knew from work (he refused to spar without them, must be a thing in his gym). I found the negatives far outweighed the benefits. Getting punched still hurt, though my peripheral vision was heavily compromised and it felt weird moving with that extra weight on my head.
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    842
    Style
    Bjj
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    I got them ready done hand wrap glove things. Because I'm lazy. I've only worn a headgaurd once during a friendly spar with another kickboxer I knew from work (he refused to spar without them, must be a thing in his gym). I found the negatives far outweighed the benefits. Getting punched still hurt, though my peripheral vision was heavily compromised and it felt weird moving with that extra weight on my head.
    The only benefit is its hard to get cuts. It may very well be a thing at his gym. When i used to do km they introduced kickboxing on saturday mornings but we had to wear headgear. The headgear we used was these shitty ones with a plastic face cage that obscured vision and getting punched usually meant it bounced off the bridge of your nose which hurt more than the punch.

    So i fucked that one off for a steel one that i could see clear as day with and didnt bounce off my nose. Because that was designed for hockey and my headgear was a shitty one that was pretty worn out, i got punched in the chin. the steel face protector bounced off my chin cutting it open in 2 places. Still got the scars.
    I tried sparring without the stupid helmet but they kept making me wear it.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Greater Seattle Area
    Posts
    512
    Style
    Ubasute:TaiChi/MMA/Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    I don't know of anyone who has done any scientific research on the issue, with controls and such, but your own anecdotal experience should serve as a primary data point.

    I will say that your experience also matches that of everyone else that I know, including myself, in regards to hand wraps/gloves.
    So for me, that settles the issue. If you have further questions you think need studying, please elucidate them.

    In other words, what sort of proof are you looking for that your own confirmed anecdotal experience matched with that of many, many other trained strikers, cannot match?
    Indeed, not sure what would qualify as proof. The reason why I wonder (even though I still believe) is:

    1) Striking injuries still happen even with wrapped hands (from personal experience, and various public instances, most famous pro example Mayweather vs. Berto?)

    2) Once upon a time boxing helmets were as believed in as hand wraps are now (I remember when I stopped using them in the mid 90's because I needed less Ibuprofen without boxing helmets than with boxing helmets. Later on they stopped using them in Olympics.)

    3)I am a fan of knock-down karate, and in most competitions they don't wrap their hands.

  5. #55
    Sovvolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    585
    Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    The only benefit is its hard to get cuts. It may very well be a thing at his gym. When i used to do km they introduced kickboxing on saturday mornings but we had to wear headgear. The headgear we used was these shitty ones with a plastic face cage that obscured vision and getting punched usually meant it bounced off the bridge of your nose which hurt more than the punch.

    So i fucked that one off for a steel one that i could see clear as day with and didnt bounce off my nose. Because that was designed for hockey and my headgear was a shitty one that was pretty worn out, i got punched in the chin. the steel face protector bounced off my chin cutting it open in 2 places. Still got the scars.
    I tried sparring without the stupid helmet but they kept making me wear it.
    My problem with them helmets is the false sense of security it produces. Sure it's going to train you against punches to the head more than never receiving them but... Because you're not getting hit clean it's surely going to be far less of a threat. I know which helmet you're talking about. I tend to see Chunners wear them on their yearly sparring match.

    They just seem daft.
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

  6. #56
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    5,208
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    My problem with them helmets is the false sense of security it produces. Sure it's going to train you against punches to the head more than never receiving them but... Because you're not getting hit clean it's surely going to be far less of a threat. I know which helmet you're talking about. I tend to see Chunners wear them on their yearly sparring match.

    They just seem daft.
    It's the same reason we (stick fighters) moved from heavy padding to minimal pads. From the WEKAF gear to just fencing helmets and leather gloves (lacrosse gloves for me because I need my hands to work). Heavy padding builds a false sense of security.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  7. #57
    Sovvolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    585
    Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    It's the same reason we (stick fighters) moved from heavy padding to minimal pads. From the WEKAF gear to just fencing helmets and leather gloves (lacrosse gloves for me because I need my hands to work). Heavy padding builds a false sense of security.
    Seems daft but learning to take a punch is a massive part of any legitimate martial art. True enough you can't really condition your face the same way you can condition your body but you can... Get used to it I guess? You learn it hurts, deal with it, carry on. As opposed to getting punched and having your entire **** ruined from it.

    Which I'd imagine happens when you first face one when the helmets are off.
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

  8. #58
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    22,187
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    Seems daft but learning to take a punch is a massive part of any legitimate martial art. True enough you can't really condition your face the same way you can condition your body but you can... Get used to it I guess? You learn it hurts, deal with it, carry on. As opposed to getting punched and having your entire **** ruined from it.

    Which I'd imagine happens when you first face one when the helmets are off.
    Flinch reflex is a real thing...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in