Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456

Style
    Bjj
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Yeah but don't the heavier gloves offer up padding that acts a bit like a shock absorber causing negative acceleration at the end?
    That negative acceleration is why helmets were removed from boxing in the rio olympics. It was proven that concussions were more common with helmets. Its like a making noise underwater it travels slower and sounds (if not IS) louder.

The hand wraps thing im not sure about. I used to wear them for the same reason many others did and that was to keep my wrist stiffer. Not sure if it has any other benefits if you plan on wearing a glove over a wrapped hand.

Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    That negative acceleration is why helmets were removed from boxing in the rio olympics. It was proven that concussions were more common with helmets. Its like a making noise underwater it travels slower and sounds (if not IS) louder.

The hand wraps thing im not sure about. I used to wear them for the same reason many others did and that was to keep my wrist stiffer. Not sure if it has any other benefits if you plan on wearing a glove over a wrapped hand.
    I got them ready done hand wrap glove things. Because I'm lazy. I've only worn a headgaurd once during a friendly spar with another kickboxer I knew from work (he refused to spar without them, must be a thing in his gym). I found the negatives far outweighed the benefits. Getting punched still hurt, though my peripheral vision was heavily compromised and it felt weird moving with that extra weight on my head.
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Style
    Bjj
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    I got them ready done hand wrap glove things. Because I'm lazy. I've only worn a headgaurd once during a friendly spar with another kickboxer I knew from work (he refused to spar without them, must be a thing in his gym). I found the negatives far outweighed the benefits. Getting punched still hurt, though my peripheral vision was heavily compromised and it felt weird moving with that extra weight on my head.
    The only benefit is its hard to get cuts. It may very well be a thing at his gym. When i used to do km they introduced kickboxing on saturday mornings but we had to wear headgear. The headgear we used was these shitty ones with a plastic face cage that obscured vision and getting punched usually meant it bounced off the bridge of your nose which hurt more than the punch.

So i fucked that one off for a steel one that i could see clear as day with and didnt bounce off my nose. Because that was designed for hockey and my headgear was a shitty one that was pretty worn out, i got punched in the chin. the steel face protector bounced off my chin cutting it open in 2 places. Still got the scars.
    I tried sparring without the stupid helmet but they kept making me wear it.

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456