Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGalbraith View Post
    1 to 3 day seminar on the 52b to learn about its technique and strategy.
    I am genuinely curious as to what value you think you could actually pick up from a 1 to 3 day seminar in an art your not actively training in?

I guess the real question I have for you:

Why do you train?
    What are your goals?
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I am genuinely curious as to what value you think you could actually pick up from a 1 to 3 day seminar in an art your not actively training in?

I guess the real question I have for you:

Why do you train?
    What are your goals?
    A cool shirt, hopefully would be the best thing. Then a pic with the instructor for your future martial arts resume. Lastly get to stay in a hotel in a new town?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    I have noticed a few reservations about Lyte Burly on this thread. In what was probably a response to probably frequent accusations about him lacking qualifications, Lyte Burly produced this video highlighting his accomplishments:

Which obviously raises more questions than answers.

The connection with full contact CMA is interesting (all stationary push hands aside... stationary push hands is as legit sparring as kumite point fighting, which is to say that it isn't.)

What are the specific reservations about Lyte Burly?
    interestingly enough, i was probably present for the video of the CMA tournament held in a gymnasium (the ones with the large number of people in gold colored t-shirts in the background.) that was a terrible tournament run by my (former) association. hitting someone hard enough to knock them down was usually a DQ under those rules (i was given a DQ for that that day.) needless to say the level of competition there was not very high.

the stuff fought on the blue carpeted platform is footage from the baltimore lei tai, which is at least full contact, and which can have decent fighters in it (but there's no quality control and there are an abundance of "cans" to fight there as well.)

this is not an impressive resume, but i can't say for sure if the guy can fight.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Tai Chi,MMA,knife-dueling
    From after page 1 on the thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    ...Why train with [52 Instructor] instead of Gleason's Gym?
    See earlier post about trying to find a short cut to being good.
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    ... he is culturally appropriating 52 Blocks, and he's not from the hood...
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    A cool shirt, hopefully would be the best thing. Then a pic with the instructor for your future martial arts resume. Lastly get to stay in a hotel in a new town?
    From page 1 of the thread...
    ...MY interest in 52b is the relationship to a specific strategy in FMA. In this specific strategy the weapon wielding arm is considered a highly vulnerable target, which must necessarily get close to the opponent's weapon, so that that arm itself must be highly evasive to avoid getting hit, even though it also has to be ready to counter attack. THAT means that the "fighting stance" in that strategy is a stance that is constantly changing. Example of people sparring in FMA using related strategies:

52b does that "constantly changing fighting stance" while boxing, without weapons, hence my curiosity about it...
    The only thing to which I would add is that when playing around with the techniques in sparring, I have found that:
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    ...It's also a tactic of using those defensive skills to close distance...
    See also from the 1st page of the thread:
    Judah vs. Mayweather:
    b

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    From after page 1 on the thread...

From page 1 of the thread...

The only thing to which I would add is that when playing around with the techniques in sparring, I have found that:

See also from the 1st page of the thread:
    I don't think a boxer who switches stance is comparable to switching stances with a knife, because with the knife you will always attack with the same arm even after you switch stance.
    Also you can't switch when you are in range because it's too dangerous.

When you spar with a knife, do you use a point system where e.g. a hit to the body gives more points than a hit to the arm?
    This would make sense to me but I think it's difficult to have a point system that correctly simulates the more or less dangerous slashes /stabs.

I think that the idea of keeping the knife arm back relates to this though.

Source: here in Italy, in order to limit people to use too much state sponsored education, when we enroll at a liberal art course we have to kill another undergrad to take his place, through a deadly knife match.
    Or either I'm pulling stuff from my - hem - hat.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Why does Lyte Burley wear boxing gloves on backwards when he spars?

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    I don't think a boxer who switches stance is comparable to switching stances with a knife, because with the knife you will always attack with the same arm even after you switch stance.
    Also you can't switch when you are in range because it's too dangerous.

When you spar with a knife, do you use a point system where e.g. a hit to the body gives more points than a hit to the arm?
    This would make sense to me but I think it's difficult to have a point system that correctly simulates the more or less dangerous slashes /stabs.

I think that the idea of keeping the knife arm back relates to this though.

Source: here in Italy, in order to limit people to use too much state sponsored education, when we enroll at a liberal art course we have to kill another undergrad to take his place, through a deadly knife match.
    Or either I'm pulling stuff from my - hem - hat.
    Every knife guy I know is also a stick guy. Every stick and knife guy I know train in single stick, double stick, single knife, double knife, and also stick and knife. It is pretty common to be able to switch stances in the middle of sparring. I frequently switch hands just to test out my opponent or to off balance them by going left vs right or opposite. It really screws up people who aren't used to it.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567