Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Style
    Tai Chi,MMA,knife-dueling

Who are the best 52 Block instructors?

Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I was in NYC a few months ago and met up with Daniel Marks, who used to post in the 52 Blocks megathreads here and who was basically responsible for most of the legit 52s promotion about ten years ago. My impression is that all the (literal) OG practitioners whose heyday was the '70s/'80s are either dead or serving life terms and I'm not sure that there is a viable next generation of fighters. If a "sport form" of the style had evolved during the '90s and early 2000s then it might be a different story, but most of the recent revival has been haphazard and there's no infrastructure to support serious, long-term training.
    I have ran into a lot of YouTube on the 52 Blocks. My question is are there 52 Block instructors out there who know what they are talking about?

For example, Lyte Burly:

(I am not interested in Penitentiary traditions and culture from the 50's-70's, not looking for pure lineage here.) Or have the ancient and deadly secrets of the 52 blocks been lost forever?

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    street paddleboarding
    I'd say the Bartendaz because they seem the most physically competent of the 52 crowd:
    https://youtu.be/SWs94Pu_kG4

There's no fighting or even technique training, but I'd bet on one of those dudes in a fight against Lite Burley.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Holy crap your bouncing from one shitty art to another up next:

This list:
    https://list25.com/the-25-most-letha...-ever-created/
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    CQC
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post

This list:
    Pit fighting is only #17? I call bullshit.

Style
    Bartitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGalbraith View Post
    I have ran into a lot of YouTube on the 52 Blocks. My question is are there 52 Block instructors out there who know what they are talking about?

For example, Lyte Burly:

(I am not interested in Penitentiary traditions and culture from the 50's-70's, not looking for pure lineage here.) Or have the ancient and deadly secrets of the 52 blocks been lost forever?
    FWIW, and as I mentioned at the end of that post, I definitely recommend Daniel Marks as a 52s instructor. He not only has legit technical skills and knowledge, but he's also a good coach.

Sadly, MAs and fighting sports can and do literally die out if there isn't an infrastructure to support them. There are currently numerous little-known European stick and knife arts that are barely holding on because they've only ever been practiced within a particular rural town, and the younger generations aren't interested in learning something their grandpas used to do. Fortunately, some of them are at least being preserved on video.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGalbraith View Post

For example, Lyte Burly:

The old Eddie Bravo trick...... re-name existing techniques to fool the uninitiated into thinking you have created your own system.
    That's western boxing in the video. It doesn't matter what they call it. Thats sparring under the Queensberry rules in the video.

Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    The old Eddie Bravo trick...... re-name existing techniques to fool the uninitiated into thinking you have created your own system.
    That's western boxing in the video. It doesn't matter what they call it. Thats sparring under the Queensberry rules in the video.

Indeed. I'm not familiar with this 52 blocks style but it just looked like typical boxing to me.
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    52 blocks it is essentially a defensive mix of boxing styles... and that's the first thing they basically say about it. The idea is to incorporate all of the good boxing defenses almost simultaneously. SO it better look like boxing, because that's what they are saying it is. 52b is interested in a wider variety of self defense applications than only competing in boxing competitions, as it is a "jail house rock" system*. 52b also looks like some unarmed CMA and FMA stuff for reasons obvious from 52b's history.

MY interest in 52b is the relationship to a specific strategy in FMA. In this specific strategy the weapon wielding arm is considered a highly vulnerable target, which must necessarily get close to the opponent's weapon, so that that arm itself must be highly evasive to avoid getting hit, even though it also has to be ready to counter attack. THAT means that the "fighting stance" in that strategy is a stance that is constantly changing. Example of people sparring in FMA using related strategies:

52b does that "constantly changing fighting stance" while boxing, without weapons, hence my curiosity about it. If you think there are boxers with constantly changing fighting stances, I would love to seen an example of it*.

*As far as I know the most famous incident of 52b appearing in a real boxing match was Judah vs. Mayweather:
    b

Does anyone else have examples of 52b strategy in boxing matches, where the strategy is clearly a 52b thing and not simply using a technique also-found-in-52b ?

Style

appology for being interested in martial arts

Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post

This list:
    I have been through that list twice... (Except for that Hawaiian one... I ran into someone who claimed to be a practitioner of that and never got to the bottom of it...)

If you find that disappointing, I promise you I have far more extraordinary disappointments for you in the future.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last