Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    I can understand this, but I still have doubts about juji gatame.
    I rewatched the video and I saw the same "error" in two points: at 2:10 and at 4:42. In both instances tori does jujigatame with the "wrong" leg; maybe it's a different form of control where tori only uses the bent knee to control uke's head, but it seems strange to me.
    I would not say it's not optimal, but can work. I think Nagaoka corrected one of them in the first part of the video.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    I can understand this, but I still have doubts about juji gatame.
    I rewatched the video and I saw the same "error" in two points: at 2:10 and at 4:42. In both instances tori does jujigatame with the "wrong" leg; maybe it's a different form of control where tori only uses the bent knee to control uke's head, but it seems strange to me.
    It's unusual but it works sometimes. I've pulled it a couple of times. It is in Demian Maia's Science of Jiu Jitsu DVD's.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    It's unusual but it works sometimes. I've pulled it a couple of times. It is in Demian Maia's Science of Jiu Jitsu DVD's.
    For sure it will work with tori belly down...and that is what you transition to if uke sits up. Our coach taught us a sequence where you end up with the top of your foot under uke head, and ends up in belly down or at least sideway Juji Gatame.

I think it's a sequence that comes out of bow and arrow sequence...

BJJ, I swear, it's worse than Daito Ryu...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    For sure it will work with tori belly down...and that is what you transition to if uke sits up. Our coach taught us a sequence where you end up with the top of your foot under uke head, and ends up in belly down or at least sideway Juji Gatame.

I think it's a sequence that comes out of bow and arrow sequence...

BJJ, I swear, it's worse than Daito Ryu...
    Yeah, I've also had the pleasure of being jujigatamed while belly down, It's true that in that position tori controls uke's head with the foot.

Style
    Between styles
    The leg across the chest is usually enough to keep them down, not as much leverage as over the head, but it's a quicker and easier position to get into in some situations. Seen it taught by competitive grapplers more than once, though it never felt right for me.

Page 2 of 2 First 12