Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    They have turned warm ups into fake martial arts.
    This. So much this. They have moved away from the actual fighting stuff and technique that they once sorta demonstrated, mostly because I don't think they ever really knew how to teach it, and just focused more and more on the vague esoteric drills. I mean I may have grapplers practice back steps to a decent tempo waltz, but that is a drill to help them get the movement and timing down before they practice it with a partner and before they put a technique on it.

These guys just took some Combat Sambo drills for flow and movement and stripped away just about everything logical about them. The way this drill originally looked was that you would flow against one(or more) opponents without trying for techniques, but rather accustoming yourself to spotting opportunities and exploiting them until forced to abandon and move on. Done right it is a really good drill. I played it with a couple of guys tonight in BJJ because of seasonal allergies that wouldn't allow me to roll hard, and it impressed my coaches. Instead these guys took that, stripped away the idea of technique, control, pressure, and came up with this... Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Falenay View Post
    I would never claim that DK Yoo can fight, only that he definitely is able to produce real power through kinetic chains - which in the context of Systema is often used to make a case for the superiorness of Systema because it looks like their twerking. Does this make him a fighter? Or any guy who can punch and does Systema? By all means no.

I never claimed otherwise. I even pointed out that you obviously do not learn to even punch at all within Systema because of the way they train.

In other words, against dumbassery:

1) Systema training seems to consist exclusively of conceptual exercises of how to relax, be in movement, evade forces.
    2) Even IF one is very benevolent and concedes that this MIGHT lead to a point where one is able to be very evasive in a fight (I do not believe that), they do not learn to attack with power in their weird exercises.
    3) DK Yoo can do a powerful punch by exploiting kinetic chains. It looks a bit like Systema, people claim it is (I do not think so). Some Systema guys can punch (although the videos I saw are against completely untrained guys).
    4) Thesis: All of them did not learn to punch with reasonable power in Systema, since the training method is not adequate for that.
    5) Even IF (and that's a big if) they WOULD in years and years and years of compliant flow exercises learn how to do a powerful punch, that is not the same as being able to fight, even less be good in self-defence
    6) Systema is bullshit for fighting in any rule-set or self-defence.

Guess I cannot make myself understood more clearly.
    I get what you are saying. First let's take a look at Vlad's Bio
    Vladimir moved to Canada, and in 1993 founded the first school of Russian Martial Art outside Russia - Systema Headquarters. He has since personally trained and certified well over 600 qualified Russian Martial Art Systema instructors and schools in over 40 countries worldwide, and has produced an Award-Winning instructional film collection. Vladimir holds a number of government medals and awards including the Russian "Order of Duty and Honor" and the "Order of Loyalty". He offers regular training at his school in Toronto, at international seminars and camps and through Systema video program.
    https://www.russianmartialart.com/founders.php

So here is the thing. Vlad has been teaching for 25yrs. Yet in 25yrs he hasn't produced anyone anywhere near his level. Never mind whether his level is good or bad or whatever, in 25 years he should have had at least one student who has graduated from student to something close to a training partner(or actual training partner). He should have someone who is better at some things than he is. Even if you want to tell me that he is still training and improving himself so he will always be ahead of his students(that is their official line by the way) he should have produced someone that can strike as hard as himself, and pull off the other magic tricks on n00bs that he does. That he hasn't... That to me is a major red flag.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Style
    SAMBO
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    So here is the thing. Vlad has been teaching for 25yrs. Yet in 25yrs he hasn't produced anyone anywhere near his level. Never mind whether his level is good or bad or whatever, in 25 years he should have had at least one student who has graduated from student to something close to a training partner(or actual training partner). He should have someone who is better at some things than he is. Even if you want to tell me that he is still training and improving himself so he will always be ahead of his students(that is their official line by the way) he should have produced someone that can strike as hard as himself, and pull off the other magic tricks on n00bs that he does. That he hasn't... That to me is a major red flag.
    This seems to be unique to the Toronto camp. The other Systema organizations like Kadochnikov and ROSS have both produced individuals who have met or exceeded the abilities of the heads of the organization, which is how it should be if you're not a shitty teacher. That being said, neither Alexsy Kadochnikov nor Alexander Retuinskih positioned themselves as exceptual or untouchable in their abilities

Style
    Jits
    Dreaded internalz again?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Dreaded internalz again?
    Apparently it's all that yet again.

Keep trying, DCS, and one day you too will be ripping small trees out of the ground with one hand/arm.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 2 of 2 First 12