Style
    Kung fu

Goshinkwai history

Hoping someone can fill me in on the history of Goshinkwai. I take it's a form of Judo or Karate? I tried to google the history of the art, and to be honest I couldn't find much. There's a few youtube videos, but they ain't much chop, a few done by an supposed ex SAS member which turned out to be a liar about his service - Mcdojo master alert, so I come here for real world advice.

So is the art itself good? What are the strong points? I am pretty sure no one is really teaching it in Aus, so what is a closely related art? Appreciate some insight into this.

Thanks ya'll.

Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldpalmer16 View Post
    So is the art itself good?
    Considering this...

No, it is not a good system.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Wait at approximately 0.50 they have the defense from finger pointing!

It would be a serious excess of self defense.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    I tried to google the history of the art, and to be honest I couldn't find much.
    Too be honest that is never a great start,

So is the art itself good? What are the strong points? I am pretty sure no one is really teaching it in Aus, so what is a closely related art? Appreciate some insight into this.

Thanks ya'll.
    What I am trying to figure out, in order to help you better, is why are you interested in this particular art that you know nothing about, and isn't available in your area?

What do you want from a Martial Art? Maybe we can better direct you into something.
    Or at the very least get into a decent conversation.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Judo
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Considering this...

No, it is not a good system.
    I don't know...we do similar stuff in my JJJ classes, but with like...full contact (shin/foot guards).

As a general rule of thumb is that gradings reflect the training, I would not and never even consider going there. They do not learn to fight, control, and afflict pain, they learn to dance (esp. at 0:53 - that's hilarious).

Style
    Grapple
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gosh.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	17839

This is from their Facebook page
    King without a crown

Style
    Grapple
    This is from a 11yr old MAP thread:

"The TBD organisation is a group of instructors who broke away from the original Goshinkwai Yawara organisation, even though they are still on very good terms and members from both organisations are always welcome at each others clubs. Goshinkwai Yawara is a martial art that was created in Wales. It was created by 2 brothers John and Gordon Warfield after the brothers had already been training in Judo and Boxing, they went on to train with a martial arts master called Kenshiro Abbe, who came over from Japan and met the brothers at a Judo seminar which i believe was held in South Wales, he hit it off with them and they trained under him for quite a few years. The style includes alot of footwork as John was a keen dancer and incorporated this into the style for use in evasions. Dave Turton trained under the brothers as well as other instructors before he set up his own organisation, from what i have heard. There was a discussion the other week on his website about Goshinkwai and you can also find out more details on our website - Totalbodydefence.com. We are also releasing a self defence instructional dvd which shows a lot of the style. The dvd shows techniques from several different angles which you control so you get to see exactly what the techniques involve. As well as weekly classes, we also hold 3 hour seminars about once a month for men and also do the same for women only classes."

https://www.martialartsplanet.com/th...defence.70194/
    King without a crown

Style
    Grapple
    In short, two dudes back in the 50's created their own style in Wales based on their Judo and boxing training.

Looks like some Krotty in their too and perhaps JJJ

The rest looks like the usual fluff people use to market their brand . Special forces blah blah CIA blah military blah
    King without a crown

Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    ... they went on to train with a martial arts master called Kenshiro Abbe, who came over from Japan and met the brothers at a Judo seminar which i believe was held in South Wales, he hit it off with them and they trained under him for quite a few years.
    Kenshiro Abbe was a very skilled judoka, one of the very few ones who ever defeated Kimura in shiai.

Style
    Grapple
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Kenshiro Abbe was a very skilled judoka, one of the very few ones who ever defeated Kimura in shiai.
    It would be helpful to establish a significant link between the Abbe - Warfields- the existing guys.

There is plenty about Abbe doing seminars in the UK in the 50s/60s/ and I saw one in Halifax, couldnt find one in Wales but have not looked that hard .

Its quite likely that they did attend a seminar at the time they claim to but what link was established beyond that is anybodies guess.
    King without a crown