Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT

Training with Family.

My wife's been getting a tad bored on an evening and she's trying to find something else to do that isn't the pool boy. She talked to me other day about coming with me one day a week to kickboxing. I'm not too sure about this, on one hand it gives us a bit of a common interest at home and helps her get into shape. Though on the other I go Kickboxing for my own bit of space and fun. That and I think if we did go together I'm not sure if she'd distract from my training or if she'd take training with me seriously. Probably go and let her pick a training partner that isn't me.

I don't know. What do you guys think. Do you also train with your partner's or significant others. How do you deal with it or how did it go?

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    I think the only way it would work is if she goes but you agree to do your own things. She goes in as an independent entity and works with another person. You ignore each other for the most part. Anything else and it will distract from your training. And then when she gets bored with it and leaves, it will be like nothing ever happened. :)
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Kickboxing MMA Boxing MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I think the only way it would work is if she goes but you agree to do your own things. She goes in as an independent entity and works with another person. You ignore each other for the most part. Anything else and it will distract from your training. And then when she gets bored with it and leaves, it will be like nothing ever happened. :)
    Think that sounds like a plan...

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    My wife's been getting a tad bored on an evening and she's trying to find something else to do that isn't the pool boy. She talked to me other day about coming with me one day a week to kickboxing. I'm not too sure about this, on one hand it gives us a bit of a common interest at home and helps her get into shape. Though on the other I go Kickboxing for my own bit of space and fun. That and I think if we did go together I'm not sure if she'd distract from my training or if she'd take training with me seriously. Probably go and let her pick a training partner that isn't me.

I don't know. What do you guys think. Do you also train with your partner's or significant others. How do you deal with it or how did it go?
    My wife trained with me for about a year. We rarely got paired up by direction, and never chose to pair up together, at the gym. We did roll a bit at home, on a couple of occasions, but it wasn't like a regular thing. The key is going to be if she maintains interest - my guess is no. Training is hard, and most women aren't up for it, long term. Especially striking.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    I train my wife and daughter. I make them cry sometimes.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    I trained with my GF in high school (Judo).

It was somewhat embarrassing, though, as I had been doing judo for about a year or so, and the most athletic thing she did was marching band, and she was better than me at Judo in about 6 months.

My coach took so much delight in that fact...

However, I stuck with it and she didn't, so nah nah nah...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I think I train my wife and daughter. They make me cry often.
    Fixed.

Style
    Kickboxing
    My wife and younger son (12 years) trains at kickboxing club where I hold some of the classes. Mostly we don't train together with my wife, we have +20kg weight difference so she trains with smaller partners, but it is no problem to train together sometimes. She is very good kickboxer, competed (and was the champion) in thaiboxing 20 years ago so I can train actually quite hard with her. Anyway driving to gym and talking about training etc. is quality time together and we enjoy it. And of course with same with my son. He goes in my children classes and sometimes also join the adult classes.

From "teacher's perspective":

I see families training at my classes and I quite often separate them, especially if they are different skill level and size. But I often do the same anyone that always try to train with same partner. It is good to train with different people and people that you are not too much emotionally attached.

Training with family can be a good thing. If you practice consistently with family they will adapt to how you fight so you have to switch up your game more often. Of course the down side is you may end up getting on each others nerves more.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    I would fucking love it if my girlfriend came to train with me. In anything, weights, kickboxing, BJJ, even yoga.

She almost had me convinced she was going to start BJJ, which would have been awesome, except that took a backseat for reasons unknown. Then she was all about hitting the weights with me, then the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard came up, "I was walking to the gym to sign up but then didn't want to so I went to McDonald's." Sorry, what?

Anyway, on the weekend she was like, "you should do yoga with me!" and I was thinking, "yeah I could do th..." and she turned on a beginner's yoga YouTube video. Had her coffee in one hand doing the moves here and there, yeah, no thanks, I prefer actually doing yoga if I'm doing yoga.

When I said, "nah, I want to do it at an actual studio, she accused me of wanting to look at women's butts! I mean, I do, but a yoga studio is not the place for that, it is a common misconception, you're too busy trying to maintain balance for the most part. Anyway, I might consider doing it at home, but I prefer someone who knows what they're doing to be able to guide me and make adjustments to my form so I'm doing it right.

I actually got a bit pissed off with her about the above things. While I'm not exactly ripped, I'm hella active, doing some sort of exercise at least 3-5 times per week, and since we've been together she has been dangling the "oh yeah, I want to do something for my fitness" carrot, lotsa talk, no action. I've tried not to push too hard, tried to "lead by example" more than say anything, and yet she hasn't done anything other than a half-arsed 15 minute YouTube yoga session.

I'd got to a point where I was jack of her saying she is going to do stuff and not following through. Eventually I asked her how I could encourage/ motivate her and she said if I tried to motivate her it would make her NOT want to do anything and would piss her off. This pissed me off, my hands off approach wasn't working, and now I was being told that if I tried a hands on approach it would be thrown back in my face.

Fortunately we're adults and discussed it, where she gave me a logical explanation as to why she hadn't signed up to the gym and when she planned to do it. Essentially she has recently got a new job and this required her to be away for a week training, so didn't want to sign up, start paying, then have to go away like a week and a bit after. She noted that she understood my frustration due to not knowing her plan and I noted that it was a logical plan and I value logic in plans.

So my issue is the opposite of your issue which may be able to be addressed by the community here alongside yours, Sovvolf. I suppose my question would be: how has the Bullshido community convinced their partners to train with them?
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last